Beretta M5

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
I picked one of these up today for $470 + tax and fees. This is a truly awesome gun; it fits perfectly in my hand, and is the exact right weight and balance. I could literally carry it around all day. It has an excellent range of features and the ability to load without a magazine in a post-SHTF situation is great.

I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet - that will have to wait until next week.

This probably won't be a regular carry gun. It's somewhat too big for that, although I tried it out in a few positions and it would be feasible with a holster at the right angle. However, it will get a lot of time as a car or desk gun, where it's within easy reach, or maybe under a jacket.

Last edited:
Make sure you let us know how your first range session goes. In fact, if you can, post some pictures of your target on this thread.

Also, what state are you from? I'm asking because if open carry is legal there, why don't you just do that? From what you're saying, this gun is too good for you to just keep it on the desk or in the drawer.

Make sure you let us know how your first range session goes. In fact, if you can, post some pictures of your target on this thread.
I'll definitely post those targets.

Also, what state are you from? I'm asking because if open carry is legal there, why don't you just do that? From what you're saying, this gun is too good for you to just keep it on the desk or in the drawer.
I'm Florida, where there's no open carry. Never fear - I'll get a lot of mileage out of the M9. It has already done a lot of riding around with me today while tucked inside of a briefcase. I'll probably wear it for the two weeks we call the winter.

I currently have three slots for firearms:
  • Daily concealment - This is what I carry 24/7 under clothing. This is currently the P3AT, but I'm planning on switching this out soon, probably to the Glock 26.
  • External carry - Yeah, if I were in an OC state, this would probably be in a holster. Since this is FL and we're party poopers, my briefcase is my holster. When I get home, it comes out of the bag and goes on the desk. I keep it nearby while taking a shower. This goes everywhere with me, except to my day job, because state institutions are stupidly anti-gun.
  • SHTF - My first gun ever was an old breech-loading single-shot 12 gauge. It protected me well in the ghetto some years ago, but it's just too antiquated for practical use. The Mossberg 500 will replace it for good as soon as I put some rounds through it. This mostly is for the house. I won't carry it around, unless we get a huge disaster.

This configuration may change with time, but currently it's good at providing me with nearly total coverage and is flexible enough so that most of the time, 2/3 of my guns are already with me (where I need them most - and not sitting at home) if the infamous TEOTWAWKI comes.

Last edited:
It's also known as the 92FS. The M5 designation means it's rated to mil spec. I don't know if there's a difference in quality control or what.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

NICE weapon but is it a Beretta?

Being a Beretta 96 FS owner for the last decade, the idea that the military would do something better with a side-arm than the M9, a good pistol but one with not enough power to stop what an M1911 did with one, tops 2 shots, but less .45's in the mags. Personal experience of 7 years issued the M9/Beretta 92-FS and later as a U.S. Army (medic) retiree/Vet the better for my needs (same basic build) higher caliber weapon the Centurion, 96-FS, with maybe 5K rounds thru it to date, was what I wanted knowing how to use, fire & maintain the M9 as well as the M1911A1 I was issued prior to getting the M9 from our armories in 1990. I knew the gun well, but I wanted one with a .40-Cal punch. The 45 model was just too big and packed a hefty kick, not great if I wanted to shoot 400 rounds in 1 day of range fire and a real problem for concealment.
Not going to fuss about what works for me vs. what seldom brought down a charged-up Iraqi Republican-Guard without a good single head shot or 3-6 ball 9mm rounds close-in as in 20-30 meters (body shots) from still moving, still alive, still shooting back and still VERY dangerous pro-soldiers who had spent most of the 1980's fighting fanatical Iranians troops toting ex-Soviet arms. In the 1st 24 hours of that 100-hour ground war (most of) the Iraqi RG's were not scared of us, Saddam had convinced them they were the 4th largest army on the planet with lots of equipment and they had just defeated Kuwait to bolster their egos. I guess copies of Janes © were not making it to them! That fear kicked-in by day 2 when they found out what combined armor that out-ranged their best T-72's, arty, MLRS, total air anything and stand-off killing meant, very unlike the trench-style warfare of fighting Iranian troops for a stalemate of millions dead on both sides left them with a WWII concept of warfare. The Iranians did not have an option to retreat or surrender c.o. special units who drove them on or shot them down if they flinched or fled. The Iraqis had their own version of those deserter/coward control death-squads (Saddam's political cadre) who stayed VERY busy by day 3 when whole Iraqi conscript Brigade's were surrendering to reporters or cooks! By the 'Highway of death' route out of Kuwait CNN coverage, carnage even we figured out they were long beyond fighting until we saw what Nazi-type of 'fun' they had had with Kuwaiti civilians and we still hated them for being evil by deeds that went WAY beyond war into personal and sickening perversions; raped, tortured and crucified women & kids will leave an impression on even chaplains, and few wept for the crispy-critters in stolen Jags loaded with every luxury U could think of, but world opinion and even fellow Muslim allies said we had gone too far when 60 miles from B-Dad it all just stopped in the haze of still burning oil wells and the confusion most wars end up winding down into. My medics hated the M9 but had no other option but to use them or as most did, find an M16 or AK-47, plenty of those + ammo + mags all over the place by day 2, and 7.62 rounds were and still are better knock-down rounds for CQC out to around 400 meter kill shots, no one wanted EPW's to slow them down but all our units took them, with a few ignoble SNAFU's the allied Muslim nation's troops favored who deployed with us, and we seldom stopped what Muslims do to Muslims they capture, 'nuff said! A Muslim POW camp was an infidel concept they allowed us to set-up, knowing every Iraqi POW we sent home was heading for a hole in the ground as a traitor to Saddam.
Got a new Beretta 40-Cal 96-FS in 1998 and it's my range-fire gun of choice & my @ home 1st grab, but just too big for year round total concealment for my tastes/desire to stay legal & out of jail!
You may want to take a look a this site, seems the Israelis put a spin and their stamp onto this Italian designed (?) original, if it ever was a spin-off of the Beretta inventory: Link Removed
Bul M5 pistol which states: "The M5 pistol was developed in 1991-92 timeframe by a private Israeli company called Bul Ltd. Manufacturing of this gun commenced in 1994 and ever since it became quite popular as sporting (IPSC and IDPA), self-defense and service weapon, used by numerous police and special military forces around the world, to include Latin America, Asia and Europe. Produced in a wide spectrum of modifications, Bul M5 pistols combine time-proven design and ergonomics of legendary US M1911A1 pistol with most modern materials and production techniques. Calibers range from 9x19mm Para, 9x21mm IMI, .38Super, .40SW, .45ACP."
Top of page says: "Bul M5 "Government" model pistol.", but I don't even think it's a Beretta? It sports some impressive specs, and if U got one for $470 when I paid around $750 in 1998 dollars for mine, I hope it serves you as well as my 2 Berettas did since 1990. You say it's it's also known as the 92FS. That is a Beretta M9 family pistol and folks may call it that but a 92 designation was and still is a Beretta build when Uncle Sam bought 'em & issued them to us. Any Beretta gurus want to correct me on that and I will learn from you not argue with the feedback.
Please do not think I am doing anything but trying to figure out what this nice pistol is, your posted picture sure looks like a Beretta 92-FS!
Regards,

Canis-Lupus

Last edited:
Please do not think I am doing anything but trying to figure out what this nice pistol is, your posted picture sure looks like a Beretta 92-FS!
It does, and I think they're the same thing.

This is on the side of the gun itself...
Link Removed

This is the book that came with it...
Link Removed

BTW, I'm not ruling out getting a 1911...but it's going to be a little while. I think I'll limit myself to one new gun every year from now on, at least while I hold my nose and plow through law school.

Yup, that's a familiar M9 Beretta 92-FS all right. Good luck collecting and for $470 U got a good weapon. Range fire and self-protection perfect. Correct for the lack of kinetic knock-down power with good 1-shot, 1-kill hollow-point ammo when U pack, a single 9mm ball shot seldom stops a methed-out big BG unless U manage a heart or head shot 1st round as he closes on U @ 10=15 meters per second! The Geneva Convention rules following U.S. military won't let it's troops compensate for this combat disadvantage SNAFU with good (expensive) ammo, but U can :) Save the Luger 9mm ball for range practice.
Nice chatting with you fellow Beretta owner,

Canis-Lupus

Last edited:
Sweet gun. I still don't see what it is about it that it can't be used as an everyday carry gun if you have the right holster for it. I have been able to conceal everything from a full-sized Glock 22 and a full sized Ruger P94 all the way down to compact 9mm guns and one shot derringers, even in the summer while wearing very little clothing. Believe me, it can be done.

Sweet gun. I still don't see what it is about it that it can't be used as an everyday carry gun if you have the right holster for it. I have been able to conceal everything from a full-sized Glock 22 and a full sized Ruger P94 all the way down to compact 9mm guns and one shot derringers, even in the summer while wearing very little clothing. Believe me, it can be done.
Something that I really like about it is that although it's a little heavy, the weight is evenly distributed, so it's well-balanced.

I've been doing some position tests and it does ride very well directly at the side of my hip and with the barrel pointing at about a 45 degree angle to my leg. I can even sit down without much trouble. This works out as long as it stays very steady. I could carry that comfortably.

Yup, that's a familiar M9 Beretta 92-FS all right. Good luck collecting and for $470 U got a good weapon. Range fire and self-protection perfect. Correct for the lack of kinetic knock-down power with good 1-shot, 1-kill hollow-point ammo when U pack, a single 9mm ball shot seldom stops a methed-out big BG unless U manage a heart or head shot 1st round as he closes on U @ 10=15 meters per second! The Geneva Convention rules following U.S. military won't let it's troops compensate for this combat disadvantage SNAFU with good (expensive) ammo, but U can :) Save the Luger 9mm ball for range practice.
Nice chatting with you fellow Beretta owner,

Canis-Lupus
I've used Hydrashocks for a long time but I'm thinking about trying to find something in +P and with more copper plating like Cor-Bon DPX. You could drink coffee out of those. This is supposed to be able to handle the higher pressure.

I sent 13 of our M9s when I was in Hawaii to a shooting competition in Austrailia in 2002. 11 came back non mission capable. The most common fault was that the safety seared off the gun...it literally broke in half and you could hold the peices. I've lugged around the M9 my last couple trips to the middle east. It worked everytime I fired it over there, but I still have doubts due to my previous experience. I will never purchase a Beretta product for personal use.

I sent 13 of our M9s when I was in Hawaii to a shooting competition in Austrailia in 2002. 11 came back non mission capable. The most common fault was that the safety seared off the gun...it literally broke in half and you could hold the peices. I've lugged around the M9 my last couple trips to the middle east. It worked everytime I fired it over there, but I still have doubts due to my previous experience. I will never purchase a Beretta product for personal use.

I know what you mean TEX. I've always known them to be an ok pistol but would only have one as a fun gun. Never for carry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back