becoming?

todd

todd
Hello, former Marine corps close pistol combat instructor, wondering what all one has to do in order to be considered a civilian instructor? Been out for while and taught few friends.

I know this sounds too simple but first find out what is necessary to train CCW students in your state.
Most states are similar but generally being certified by the NRA to teach Basic Pistol and having passed a state given CCW training class are the minimum requirements.
Then get your insurance through the NRA program (cost around $300) and your ready to start teaching.
Good luck and stay in touch with this forum as you proceed, no need to re-invent the wheel!
Safety First Inc.
Salisbury, N.C.

i know this sounds too simple but first find out what is necessary to train ccw students in your state.
Most states are similar but generally being certified by the nra to teach basic pistol and having passed a state given ccw training class are the minimum requirements.
Then get your insurance through the nra program (cost around $300) and your ready to start teaching.
Good luck and stay in touch with this forum as you proceed, no need to re-invent the wheel!
Safety first inc.
Salisbury, n.c.

qft

Since the state of Illinois does not have concealed carry your best bet is to take the NRA Instructor courses. Next, since many residents of Ill. are applying for out-of-state permits, find out what the individual state's training requirements (Florida, Arizona, etc.) are and set up your classes accordingly.

You might also look into hooking up with a local range to offer NRA First Steps classes to new firearm owners.

Best of luck to ya.

Just keep learning - get the cert since some place only consider that as a cred but otherwise watch the videos, take the classes and ask a lot of questions - and keep safe. Hell as a vet myself I know you already have most of the skills but you can never geet too trained.

+1 on the NRA insurance. I would also suggest checking with your local insurance providers to see about adding additional coverage - the NRA program may only help you if you are teaching from an NRA curriculum at the time of the claim event.

Also, it is becoming very easy to get a business license and incorporate - although every state is different. This helps with liability and with claiming the tax expense of gear and ammo and other qualified purchases.

Welcome to the community and good luck!

The Ky ccdw class is so basic, I incorporate parts of the NRA basic pistol class into it. I feel better having someone leaving my class with more info than they need.

I attended a four-day handgun course at Front Sight back in March. Excellent choice. We had a ball.

As for becoming a civilian instructor, as others have said, NRA courses are a great place to start. Next, move the heck out of Illinois !!! Head over here to Missouri, then give me a holler. I'll help you formulate your lesson plan and walk you through the ins and outs of becoming an approved CCW Instructor in the counties you intend to have students from.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back