Be serious if you carry

Shooting to wound usually = shooting to miss. Unless you're a trained sniper shooting a long gun at relatively short range, it's a bad idea.

Yes I definitely agree. If you are going to carry, you need accept the responsibility that you may end up taking a life even if it means you saved one or two or three or...

The way I see it if you make the choice to shoot to wound you are still choosing to use deadly force. When choosing to carry a gun for protection you need to make the choice to stop the threat.

In North Carolina, which is a "Stand Your Ground" state, there are four conditions that all must be present to justify use of Deadly Force in self-defense:

•There must be an real and immediate threat of death, serious injury, or sexual assault such that a normal person believes Deadly Force is necessary.
•The threat must be otherwise unavoidable.
•You cannot instigate the dispute: "If you start a fight, you lose your rights."
•You cannot use excessive force.

And that's the way it is here in NC! :pleasantry:

Is she really ready?

My fiancee wants to train to shoot to wound. I don't think that is a good idea. I agree that if you are in a stress situation you need to train to hit your target.

If your fiancee is not yet emotionally ready to accept the fact that she may have to take another persons life then she she is not ready to carry at this time.

Suppose she did shoot to wound and hit their femoral artery, the BG bleeds out and dies. What does this do, emotionally, to your fiancee?

More likely she tries to wound, misses and is killed by the BG.

Could she even fire to wound? Would she freeze up?

These are all questions she must find the answer to before she starts to carry.

Sorry didn't mean to be a downer here but this sounded serious to me. I hope it all turns out well. Perhaps this would be of assistance. Link Removed

DeanT

I always shot to wound....

I just find that the most effective place to wound is the center of the chest.

:pleasantry:

I always shot to wound....

I just find that the most effective place to wound is the center of the chest.

I was taught to wound in 2 round volleys. My first is some what low right center, second is exactly in the middle. It's s rifling thing........

I was taught to wound in 2 round volleys. My first is some what low right center, second is exactly in the middle. It's s rifling thing........

I was taught to shoot the threat until it stops being a threat and, if you run the gun empty, to reload and continue as long as necessary. Self defense shooting is automatically considered as working under Comstock Rules. :laugh:

Remember, if something's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting TWICE- just to make sure.

Seriously, shooting a couple times and stopping to see how you are doing is a bad habit to get into. You could end up in a situation where that time would best be spent shooting instead of looking. I ain't saying 'spray and pray' because misses won't do you any good, only hits do. I just think if you are gonna lug one of them high capacity guns around, there no more sense in being frugal than there is being wasteful.

Shooting to wound only leaves the BG around to testify against you. Eliminate the threat with extreme prejudice. My opinion.

Shooting to wound only leaves the BG around to testify against you. Eliminate the threat with extreme prejudice. My opinion.

Leaving posts like this lying around the internet only leaves your own words to testify against you.

And don't think for a second that if you are ever involved in a less than pristine shoot (or you have a DA who wants a reputation as being tough on "gun crime" ) that these words can't come back and bite you square in the ass

Just sayin.

There's a reason why all discussions regarding ammo are in terms of "stopping power", not "killing power". We don't think in terms of ending anyone's life, it's all about stopping them from doing what they're doing. They may or may not die, you can't predict, or be concerned with that. You only want to stop them, nothing more.

Please rethink your attitude.

mistergus75

Lets hope that we don't find outselves in that situation. Shooting to wound/kill whatever, is easier said than done. I know. Some people are natural born killers, the rest of us have to be trained and be in the right situation to do something like shoot at someone. I remember the first deer I took, at the ripe old age of 17, I felt cool as a cucumber up until I had to gut it, then I barfed. I got the job done though. Same thing happened later on while in the Marines. Truth is, when one is in a fight, especially a gun fight, you don't really react the way you thought you would. Lets just hope we don't find ourselves in a shooting situation.

. I remember the first deer I took, at the ripe old age of 17, I felt cool as a cucumber up until I had to gut it, then I barfed. I got the job done though. Same thing happened later on while in the Marines.

You were guttin' deer in the Marines? :biggrin:

Joke,

Seriously I agree 100% I don't ever want to kill a human being if I don't have to I don't ever want to be placed in that position again. All I want is to stop you from hurting me.

I cleared my house one day when I knew there was someone in there, I could hear the blood rushing through my ears, I could feel each heart beat and I was convinced that that who ever was in the apartement (Maintenance as it turned out ) could hear every breath I took. The only thing I could see was the front sight on my pistol.

Long story short, I DO NOT EVER want to feel like that again

Carrying a gun is a terrific responsibility and you need to think it through, including the possible consequences of being involved in a fatal shooting.

Well, if you're not carrying the gun you've still got that chance of being in a fatal shooting. It's just that you're guaranteed to be the one that ends up dead.

You were guttin' deer in the Marines? :biggrin:

Let's hope it was deer he was guttin'...

I agree with the part about avoiding trouble...one of my basic goals is to get through the rest of my life without killing anyone else (or shoveling snow....but killing would be a bigger bummer).

As far as the title of the thread, I carry pretty much all the time, but I refuse to always be serious...

Absolutely BS on the "shoot to wound" idea. Most of the time simply hitting anywhere on the BG will be a stretch. Check out the number of missed shots fired by supposedly trained police officers. Lack of experience with the firearm controls, inability to reach and draw the firearm, and poor marksmanship are some of the biggest problems with CCW licensees. I understand that not everyone has a lifetime of experience with guns but those folks need to put a lot of time in with their carry gun. Simply getting the license, buying a pistol, and putting it in a holster is not the answer.

I once asked a LEO friend why he carried a Glock 20 10mm? With a wry grin he replied, "So I don't have to pay for his wheelchair the rest of my life."

He has a point.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back