Be Careful to Really Know the Law When you Carry:

alduane

Here's a link to a story of a South Bend, Indiana man who was arrested in New York City because he thought, after reading the Handgunlaw site, his Indiana permit was good there. He made a common mistake of thinking the list that showed that Indiana recognized NY meant that NY recognized Indiana. I sympathize with him, but have to say that if you are going to carry then make it your mission to know the laws of every State that you will be carrying in.
Link Removed

It's unfortunate that stats like New York don't follow the lead of states like Indiana and Texas that unilaterally recognize cc license of other states. It will probably take a federal law or a broader 2A court decision to reach that goal.

But it is equally unfortunate that so many states don't follow NY State's liberal attitude about places a license holder can carry. It is true that I can cc in Texas with my NYS pistol permit, but I can't cc in a church, or hospital, or bar in Texas even though I can do so in New York.

Should a federal law requiring NYS to recognize Texas cc licenses also require Texas to allow me to carry in bars, churches, and hospitals in Texas? If not, then such a federal law might be emasculated by state laws prohibiting cc anywhere outside of one's home.

nogods - you say you can't carry in a church in Tx.

Section 46.035b(5) specifically says you cannot carry in a church; however, the code was amended with 46.035i that says only if a proper 30.06 sign is posted.

J

Yeah like pretty much know that new york is the dumbest ******* state and NYC is the dumbest ******* city when it comes to gun laws and reciprocity. Well maybe 2nd to Illinois.

nogods - you say you can't carry in a church in Tx.

Section 46.035b(5) specifically says you cannot carry in a church; however, the code was amended with 46.035i that says only if a proper 30.06 sign is posted.

J

Thanks for the update.

How about bars, and medical facilities? Was the law changed for them too?

As for carry in churches, the 11th circuit is on the verge of issuing its opinion in the GeorgiaCarry.org case that might invalidate the Georgia law that prohibits carry in churches.

I think lots of the states that used to prohibit carry in churches have changed their laws in recent years. But why did they want to separate people's guns from their bibles in the first place? what was the reasoning behind those laws?

The trick is if you carry where you are not legal, don't get in a position where you will be found out (metal detectors, hospitals, federal buildings, etc). If you gotta go to those type places, leave the gun somewhere else (home or hidden in car, etc). Personally, I have no desire or need to go to most of the places that are illegal, except maybe hospitals. Obviously, if I'm the patient, I won't be carrying.

Thanks for the update.

I think lots of the states that used to prohibit carry in churches have changed their laws in recent years. But why did they want to separate people's guns from their bibles in the first place? what was the reasoning behind those laws?

The only place you'll have more disagreements than in a bar or sporting event is in a Church. So called Christian churches have had so many splits and disagreements with someone leaving and someone else keeping the church's property it's not surprising they would restrict carry. All this in the name of Jesus. LOL

Anybody visiting another area should read up on the gun laws there because 'ignorance of the law is no exvuse'. And the NYC anti-gun laws need to be changed. However what happened could also be an example of what can happen when you volunteer information to law enforcement. This person WAS trying and thought he was obeying the law. Many people think all is well when they cooperate with LEO and look what happened. Do not take this as being a anti-cop statement. Im saying that an LEOs job is taking people to jail even if the person didnt realize he was breaking the law. I realize that there was some kind of security or weapons screening but it seems that the person was cooperating with security and LEOs and IF the person had not said anything that person would not have gone to jail.

When I took my concealed carry class we had a number of people in our class who could hardly read. I'm not making this up. No wonder some people can't read a map or a law.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back