BATFE Targets CCW Holders

Bohemian

The BATFE has now decided that CCW holders are no longer exempt from NICS checks and the $25.00 fee...

Beginning with the State of Nevada on July 1st, 2008, this Tuesday, Nevada CCW holders will now have to go through a NICS check and pay the $25.00 fee for every rifle and or handgun or any other firearm purchase, this includes those you may have pawned, yes you have to pay for a NICS check to get your own gun back...

One of the benefits of having a CCW has been the provision of not having to pay the stinking $25.00 Brady fee and go though the NICS - NATIONAL (NOT SO INSTANT - READ DAYS) INSTANT CHECK SYSTEM every time you purchase a firearm.

If you are outraged by this, please contact the NRA, GOA, SAF, the Media and your federal, state and local representatives about this...

Last I heard the BATFE was not writing law...

Write your representatives:
NRA-ILA :: Action Center

Write the Media:
NRA-ILA :: Action Center

Write the Gun Owners of America:
Gun Owners of America

Write the Second Amendment Foundation:
Second Amendment Foundation Online

Write the National Rifle Association:
Link Removed

Write Fox News (ureport):
Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com

If only a few people take action, nothing will change...

If we do nothing, we can only say we did nothing...

HK4U

Last I heard the BATFE was not writing law...

They think they are above the law. They take their cue from Germany's Gestapo.

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
This is the first I've ever heard of a $25 NICS fee. Is this only in the state of Nevada? My most recent firearm purchase was last month, the day after Memorial Day; however it was an FFL transfer from another state. Is it possible that this $25 fee was included in the FFL transfer fee?

Bohemian

Nevada is the first one hit by this BATFE CCW holder infringement (read B.S.)

Effective This Tuesday July 1st, 2008.

This was one of the things Gun Owners of America warned us about in regards to the NICS IMPROVEMENT ACT (AKA: Veterans Disarmament Act) that the NRA assured everybody we had nothing to worry about!

Once again... GOA was right and the NRA was left...I mean wrong...

http://www.gunowners.org/

Last edited:

NDS

This is the first I've ever heard of a $25 NICS fee. Is this only in the state of Nevada? My most recent firearm purchase was last month, the day after Memorial Day; however it was an FFL transfer from another state. Is it possible that this $25 fee was included in the FFL transfer fee?

The $25 fee is Nevada punishment for living here. They could use the free service provided by ATF like most states, but this brings more money into this greedy government's coffers. The NSCA desire for more money doesn't help.

Link Removed will lead you to a blog about this.

Screwed Once More By BATFE!!
Well folks, the frickin’ idiots over at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have done it again! Let me take you back to October 2005. At that time the BATFE determined that the Nevada Concealed Firearms Permit was no longer a valid determinate for exemption from having to go through the NICS/Brady background check when a permit holder wished to purchase a firearm. From October 2005 until January 2006 all of us who had valid permits had to undergo another background check, at a charge of $25, in order to obtain a firearm from a licensed dealer.

Thousands of us were really pissed off by this! We got the Nevada Sheriff’s and Chief’s Assoc. to take action and BATFE backed off. The Sheriff’s Assoc. “warned” us that the state must pass particular legislation or we would lose our privilege again. Do any of you remember proposed Assembly Bill 21 from the last legislative session? This was the bill that the Sheriff’s Assoc. promoted saying it would make Nevada compliant with the new BATFE requirements.

AB 21 went down in defeat to the chagrin of the Sheriff’s lobby. Why was it defeated? The NSCA wanted to raise CFP fees by over 100% for new permits and increase renewal fees from $15 to $125!! The Judiciary Committee couldn’t be shown by the NSCA that this was necessary and it lost.

So now comes the BATFE, more than a year after AB 21 was defeated, and says “Since legislation was not passed to bring Nevada CFP’s in compliance then it no longer will serve to exempt permit holders from the NICS/Brady background check and it’s attendant fees”

BATFE has sent an “Open Letter To All Nevada Federal Firearms Licensees” recapping this and telling your local, friendly FFL that as of July 1, 2008 they must run NICS/Brady background checks on all Nevada CFP holders that had been previously exempt.

Where do we go from here? I really don’t know. When BATFE tried to do this to Wyoming a couple of year’s ago the Wyoming Attorney General filed suit against BATFE and they backed down. Could we get our AG to do the same? Probably not. Catherine Cortez Masto has never shown any interest in firearm related issues, though I don’t know that any have been presented to her either.

My best suggestion is to tell your local, friendly FFL that you probably will be buying fewer firearms from him than in the past—sorry about that Glen, but it’s principle thing. Perhaps these guys will then get off their butts and call their legislators, etc. This is, after all, an election year. Nothing gets their juices flowing more than to be told that contributions to their campaign will be curtailed.

Additionally it wouldn’t hurt if you contacted your State Senator and Assemblyman and told them that a federal bureaucracy is holding us up, once again!!

Bohemian

If you are referring to Glen Parshall at Bargain Pawn he is our biggest advocate; but he can not do it by himself it takes more then one or two pissed off CCW holders to get the attention of the powers that be...

I provided all the ammo needed to make this happen in my original post...

Venting does nothing, telling your FFL that you will not be buying as many weapons is exactly what the BATFE and anti's want...

What they do not want is every CCW holder to start flooding their email, telephone, fax and snail mail boxes with constituent complaints...

ACTION is how things get done, this is why the anti's are winning generally because we pro's are too laid back, and lazy to get involved...
AND we let shit happen, and just bitch about it...

If we do nothing, we can only say we did nothing...

Ruger Lady

I'm not a lawyer but I don't understand how they can "legally" do this? Can't Nevada CCW holder's take them to court an get an injunction? Maybe find a lawyer that's a CCW holder that will take them to court?
I agree with Bohemian;
ACTION is how things get done, this is why the anti's are winning generally because we pro's are too laid back, and lazy to get involved...
AND we let shit happen, and just bitch about it...

FN1910

I am not a NV resident but as I understand this the $25 fee is a state fee and has nothing to do with the NICS, BATFE, ATF or any other federal agency. Here in SC our CWP is still good for not having to go through the NICS check and if you don't have a CWP you don't have to pay anything for it. However a few gun dealers have started charging $25 to do the check but waive it if you pass the check and buy a gun. I think this is fair that most people know ahead of time if they are going to pass or not and plenty just go around from store to store hoping to slip through one of them.

It is my understanding that the whole $25 fee and not being able to use the permit instead was totally the NV legislature mess and they were warned several years ago about it and failed to act. Here in SC our permits are $50 which more than covers the background check and everything for the state to issue the permit and it passes the NICS check.

Somebody in NV is screwing you folks.

KimberRB

In Ohio every one goes through the check CCW or not. But I have never been charged extra for it. And a friend of mine just pick up a gun last week.

Brainchild

I always charge the same transfer fee.
I have seen some dealers advertise a certain fee for the transfer and an additional fee for the NICS.Never made sense to me.I have one fee,Nics or not.To me,it's just part of the service.

FN1910

You may want to read this.

Link Removed

The NICS does not charge for the check. The $25 fee is a state fee.

There are basically one requirement for the permit exemption. The state must do a background check at least every 5 years. FL's permits are now good for 7 years so they can't use it. Some state are issuing a lifetime permit. They can't use it. If you don't do a nackfround check when it is renewed then it can't be used. This is what I understand the problem in NV is, that they don't do the NICS background check on renewals.

Last edited:

Bohemian

NEVADA HAS ALWAYS DONE THE BACKGROUND CHECK ON RENEWALS, THEY EVEN DO A BACKGROUND CHECK WHEN YOU ADD A NEW PIECE TO YOUR CURRENT CCW...

TWO WORDS ARE DEFICIENT ONLY IN THE BATFE'S OPINION...
NEW OR RENEWAL

They conveniently failed to mention this in their letter which makes Nevada look like the bad guys...

Pursuant to the NICS Improvement Act, AKA the Veterans Disarmament Act...
and what remains of the stinking Brady Bill...

There is a mandatory NICS check on all firearm purchases, the exception being those whom possess a valid CCW in states that allow them...
THIS IS A FEDERAL PROVISION...

Additionally, the FBI can not longer charge for doing the NICS check...

The Veterans Disarmament Act gave the BATFE increased liberty to regulate firearms purchase requirements, dealer and manufacturer paperwork requirements... Effectively giving them all but the ability to outright BAN gun ownership...

Do some googleing on Reds Trading Post and see how the BATFE is trying to put gun dealers out of business, for common paperwork errors, such as abbreviating a State name or other information., dotting i's crossing t's...

JUST AS THE GOA WARNED US ABOUT and the NRA sold us up the river on:
Gun Owners of America

The BATFE has taken it upon themselves to determine which states that allow CCW permits; also qualify for absolution from the NICS check and the $25.00 FEDERAL BRADY BILL fee...

The States have further taken it upon themselves and have been given the ability to do so also via the Veterans Disarmament Act to choose to either use the FBI's NICS System for free or use their own and charge up to the maximum fee of $25.00 allowed by the Veterans Disarmament Act...

Nevada elected to use their own, but were still limited to charging only those whom did not possess a CCW...

The BATFE saw the opportunity to throw a road block in the way and they have done so; two words in the Nevada Revised Statutes in regards to CCW applications are deficient according to the BATFE; so knowing that new legislation even if there is no opposition, takes time, most often years...
The BATFE in the spirit of the Brady Bill and the Veterans Disarmament Act have saw the opportunity to make it harder for law abiding citizens to purchase a firearm.

The Nevada State Legislature was already set to correct the wrong and had worked with the Sheriff's association, to persuade the BATFE to back off till the legislation went through...
Apparently the Sheriff's association agreed as long as there was a nominal fee increase for CCW permits added to the law; in the Sheriff's association draft; they asked for double the current fee and to make the renewal from $15.00 to over $200.00 the legislature would not agree because it was unjustified...

What this amounts to is the COPS and the BATFE are butt buddies and they see a way to throw a monkey wrench in things one way or the other; either we get bent over at permit and renewal time or we get bent over every time we make a new purchase...

This is GUN CONTROL PURE AND SIMPLE, thanks to the Brady Bill and the NRA sponsored and GOA opposed Veterans Disarmament Act...
They still do not grasp the concept of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

Depending upon the pressure put on the BATFE, the Sheriff's association, the President, Congress and the Nevada State Legislature by CCW Holders and Gun Owners, the Media, NRA, GOA, SAF, VFW, etc., will ultimately determine how quickly this gets resolved...

Nevada's CCW infringement started with the Brady Bill and was sealed by the Veterans Disarmament Act and BATFE running amuck unchecked...

What two words does the BATFE (an organization of non-lawyers) find wrong with Nevada CCW Law written by ATTORNEYS? Our CCW Applications do not contain RENEWAL OR NEW (Application), the process is the same two fricking words...

If you are outraged, regardless of what state you live in...

TAKE ACTION, WRITE YOUR STATE & LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES, THE PRESIDENT, THE MEDIA, THE NRA, GOA, SAF, VFW, et.al.
... STOP (READ ABOLISH) THE BATFE

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

If I were you guys and gals out in Nevada, I'd start by raising hell with the state legislature. Get THEM to change your state laws on this stuff.

Here in Michigan, we got BATFE approval saying that any Michigan Concealed Pistol License, issued AFTER Nov. 22, 2005, would pass as a NICS check. But even if it didn't, we go through the fed NICS, not any state system, so we don't have a NICS fee.

LVLouisCyphre

Obama is a mack daddy!
From a Nevadan...

It deals with the critieria a State must maintain to have their respective CCW exempt. The Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Association used this as an attempt to raise NV CFP fees last legislative session. Well that's not going to fly because three bordering States have NICS exemptions and their respective CCW is much less; AZ, ID and UT. Ironically what has also happened is NV CFP fees have dropped by a $4.25. Now why is it that this happened across the board in all Nevada counties when the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Associatioin wanted to increase the fees to $170 ever five years?

The Nevada NICS fee is used to pay for the Nevada Criminal Repository; the State mirror of NCIC.

One of four things needs to happen;

1. The NV legislature corrects the NV CFP statute so it meets the BATF auditing requirements for a NICS exemption.
2. NV CFP holders are exempt from using the NV Criminal Repository (which is a State mirror for NCIC) for NICS checks and the free service is used.
3. The NV AG files a lawsuit against BATFE. It's going to happen, our current AG is not pro-gun nor anti-gun either.
4. NV CFPs are issued through NV DPS instead of county sheriffs. The NV Sheriffs and Chiefs Association is out of the loop when it comes to NV CFPs. In this legislative process, NV DPS must comply with all requirements to keep NV CFP holders NICS exempt.

One thing is for sure, we will not see any change in oiur favor until after the general election. Many pro and anti gun legislators are up for reelection this year.

Bohemian

If I were you guys and gals out in Nevada, I'd start by raising hell with the state legislature. Get THEM to change your state laws on this stuff.

Here in Michigan, we got BATFE approval saying that any Michigan Concealed Pistol License, issued AFTER Nov. 22, 2005, would pass as a NICS check. But even if it didn't, we go through the fed NICS, not any state system, so we don't have a NICS fee.

We have, we did and will continue to do so, the Nevada Highway Patrol and Sheriffs association, in cahoots with their gun grabbing brothers at the BATFE tried to pull some shenanigans with the state legislature in regards to gouging CCW holders on new permits and renewals... that they could not sell, rightfully so; and the state legislature ran out of time to pass it this session...
GUN CONTROL BY BUREAUCRACY is what the BATFE, the Brady Campaign, The Joyce Foundation (Whom Barack Hussein Obama was a member of board for years), The D.C. Mayor and Police Chief, San Francisco, New York, California, Massachusetts, Diane Feinstein, Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Mitt Romney, The Clintons, Barack Hussein Obama, The Democrats (most), Cops in general and in this case the Nevada Highway Patrol and Nevada sheriffs associations are doing...

State and Nationwide visibility and knowledge of this is what needs to happen, there are a plethora of people who are not aware of this, and if this is allowed to stand in Nevada unchecked, which state will the BATFE infringe upon next?

Anybody reading this thread, if you have not done so already, please use the links and info provided in the original post of this thread and voice your outrage and displeasure in regards to this clear and concise Second Amendment Infringement...

Some related info on Nevada Gun Grabbers:
Nevada Sheriff's & Police Association opposing Pro-RKBA bill!

Additional contact info to complain about Gun & CCW infringement:
Frank Adams
Executive Director
Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association
Mesquite, NV
[email protected]

Las Vegas
Nevada Highway Patrol
4615 West Sunset Road
Las Vegas, NV 89118
(702) 486-4100

Elko
Nevada Highway Patrol
3920 East Idaho St.
Elko, NV 89801
(775) 753-1111

Reno
Nevada Highway Patrol
357 Hammill Lane
Reno, NV 89511
(775) 688-2500

Headquarters
Nevada Highway Patrol
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711
(775) 687-5300

Reno: Trooper Chuck Allen: [email protected]

Elko: Trooper Jim Stewart: [email protected]

Las Vegas: Trooper Kevin Honea: [email protected]

Headquarters: Lieutenant Charlie Powell: [email protected]

Contact the Nevada Attorney General:
Link Removed

Link Removed

Email Nevada AG: [email protected]

Carson City Office:
Office of the Attorney General
100 North Carson Street
Carson City, Nevada 89701-4717
(775) 684-1100
Fax - (775) 684-1108

Reno Office:
5420 Kietzke Lane Suite 202
Reno, Nevada 89511
(775) 688-1818
Fax - (775) 688-1822

Las Vegas Office:
Grant Sawyer Bldg.
555 E. Washington Ave Suite 3900
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
(702) 486-3420
Fax - (702) 486-3768

Last edited:

Bohemian

Important Information for Nevada’s Right-to-Carry Permit Holders!

As many of you have been made aware, as of today, Tuesday, July 1, all Nevada CCW permits will no longer qualify as an alternative to a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) through the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This action is a result of Nevada's loss of exemption due to an audit conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) in 2004 which uncovered a number of Brady Law violations.

In 2006, a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was reached between BATFE and all seventeen of Nevada sheriffs. The MOU specifically addressed the absence of a Nevada law requiring NICS checks to be conducted by all county sheriffs before issuing renewal CCW permits to include a check of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) databases for applicants who are not citizens of the United States. During the 2007 legislative session, a measure was introduced to fulfill the MOU agreement but fell victim to political wrangling over permit fee increases and the bill died when the Governor pledged to veto a fee increase of any kind, despite agreements worked out between the interested parties.

As a result, no legislative fix was passed to correct the audit deficiency and in May of 2008, BATFE issued another edict fulfilling their promise that all Nevada FFL's eliminate Nevada CCW permittees’ NICS exemption effective July 1, 2008.

NRA has recently learned that the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association (NVSCA) will be discussing the possibility of asking BATFE for another audit of the Nevada CCW permit process prior to their scheduled July 17 quarterly meeting. According to NVSCA Executive Director Frank Adams, he believes that Nevada could pass a new audit, however, the request to BATFE must be given the green light from all seventeen sheriffs.

Please take the time to contact your Sheriff immediately and ask that they join with their fellow sheriffs when this matter comes before them! The contact information for your Sheriff, as well as all seventeen, can be found on the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association website at Link Removed.

On another very important note, the NVSCA sub-committee on Nevada CCW will be meeting on Tuesday, August 5 at 1:30 p.m. at the Sawyer Building in Las Vegas. Last year was the first meeting of this kind to be held and was attended by over a hundred NRA members and activists with an interest in the CCW process.

We are hoping to get even more to attend this meeting where Frank Adams and several NVSCA officers will be on hand to discuss firearms issues. A television link to Carson City will be made available for all who want to attend from northern Nevada (details will follow with more information on the link).

DarrellM5

Here is the text of the email that I sent to Sheriff De Meo of Nye County.

As you are probably aware, Nevada CWP permit holders have lost the privilege of bypassing the NICS check when purchasing a firearm. This was due to our legislature’s failure to pass a measure introduced to fulfill the memorandum of understanding agreed to between the BATFE and all seventeen Nevada sheriffs. I have learned that the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association will be discussing the possibility of asking BATFE for another audit of the Nevada CCW permit process prior to their scheduled July 17 quarterly meeting. NVSCA Executive Director Frank Adams believes that Nevada could pass a new audit but the request to BATFE must be given the green light from all seventeen sheriffs. I am writing to ask you to join with your fellow sheriff’s to ask for this audit. Thank you for your time.

It looks like there is a chance to get it reinstated. I'm blaming this one on our legislature.

Bohemian

It looks like there is a chance to get it reinstated. I'm blaming this one on our legislature.

NOPE: (Not legislatures fault)

Nevada Highway Patrol and Nevada Sheriffs Associations AND THE BATFE...

NHPA & NSA arranged the deal with the BATFE so they could jack up the permit renewals and new renewals... The legislature would not go for raising the permits $100.00's of dollars...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForwardUntilDawn