Basic CCW laws of Oklahoma

jjacksonwf

I'm currently in the process of getting my CCW in Texas, I do travel to OK regularly and was just wondering what are the basic common laws regarding Concealed carry in OK.
Things like, where I can and cannot carry, what type of signage must be posted to legally prevent me from carrying in an establishment, specific wording, etc

For instance, in Texas, in order for an establishment to legally prevent a CHL holder from entering their property with a firearm the business MUST post the specific 30.06 sign with specific wording, 1 inch lettering etc... they cant just say "no guns allowed"... of course they can always ask you to leave if they dont want you there

So this is what I would like to know.

So the way I understand the law in OK:

“No Firearm” signs in Oklahoma have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, so this means that no individual establishment has the right or ability to prevent me from entering with my Concealed weapon as a permit holder?

I know they could still ask me to leave if they discover I was armed.

They have the right and ability to prevent you if they know you are carrying. If after you have entered and they discover it on you and ask you to leave then you must immediately leave or you can be charged with a crime. Don't try to talk them out of it or try to make your case, just leave right away.

Last edited:
They have the right and ability to prevent you if they know you are carrying. If after you have entered and they discover it on you and ask you to leave then you must immediately leave or you can be charged with a crime. Don't try to talk them out of it or try to make your case, just leave right away.

On the way out mention that you, your family and friends will never spend one red cent in their stores again!

I'm very aware I must leave if asked, I was just confused because the link you provided said that "no carry" signs have no force of law in OK...
Thanks for clarifying.

No Carry signs have no legal force in Oklahoma. It's more a request by the establishment you not carry on their premises. So if they see you are carrying they will ask you to leave. As has been mentioned, you can simply take your weapon to your vehicle or leave altogether. If you choose not to leave, they will call the police and the only thing you will be charged with is trespassing. So technically the No Carry signs have no legal force.

C. A property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity may prohibit any person from carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm on the property. If the building or property is open to the public, the property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity shall post signs on or about the property stating such prohibition.
D. The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2014.pdf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back