• 40 S&W

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • 45 ACP

Votes: 56 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buckshotlee

Bro. Roger Lee
I want to make up some nice reloads for my 40 S&W 155 gr. Barnes M/LE bullets. Does anyone have some experience with them? I currently have "Unique", "V-N350", and "Win 296" powders. Also, include the your case overall length(COAL).

Another for the .45 here. Do they make handguns in other calibers?:biggrin: As an aside, I think the .357 mag deserves a spot up there, unless the poll is limited to semi-auto's.

I want to make up some nice reloads for my 40 S&W 155 gr. Barnes M/LE bullets. Does anyone have some experience with them? I currently have "Unique", "V-N350", and "Win 296" powders. Also, include the your case overall length(COAL).

What is your barrel length?

For a 5.5" barrel there is a load of 6.6 gr N350 and a 155 gr bullet (Hornady). With the Barnes you should get about 1152 fps. This would be a starting load at 456 ft-lbs.

The max load would be 7.5 gr with an OAL of 1.128". No CUPS measure was given for the max load. Velocity was given as 1245 fps & 533 ft-lbs.

Start with the 6.6 and work up slowly.

The loads

What is your barrel length?

For a 5.5" barrel there is a load of 6.6 gr N350 and a 155 gr bullet (Hornady). With the Barnes you should get about 1152 fps. This would be a starting load at 456 ft-lbs.

The max load would be 7.5 gr with an OAL of 1.128". No CUPS measure was given for the max load. Velocity was given as 1245 fps & 533 ft-lbs.

Start with the 6.6 and work up slowly.

I did set up some loads for the Barnes bullets and 6.6 works well but I could only getup to 7.2 gr into the case because I can't compress the powder anymore then 1.138 OAL, which is 0.003 more then the recommended max OAL. So I couldn't have loaded them to 7.5 gr. even if I wanted to!

Thanks for the help and I hope this thread is helpful to others!

Even if we WERE sticking to semi-autos, I believe .357 Sig is an extremely good ammo, although it is very loud and not quite as popular as the others mentioned.

Even if we WERE sticking to semi-autos, I believe .357 Sig is an extremely good ammo, although it is very loud and not quite as popular as the others mentioned.

I agree. .357 Sig is almost the same power and performance as the .357 magnum, which is said to be one of the best man-stoppers of all time. Even more so than the .45, says a comprehensive database I've found in a magazine. But I would still carry the .45 instead, due to the .357's over-penetration power, similar to the 10mm.

I agree. .357 Sig is almost the same power and performance as the .357 magnum, which is said to be one of the best man-stoppers of all time. Even more so than the .45, says a comprehensive database I've found in a magazine. But I would still carry the .45 instead, due to the .357's over-penetration power, similar to the 10mm.

I own a Glock 31 and after numerous research the .357Sig is a very HOT round. I use hollows/JHP to solve the "over-penetration" issue.

I own a Glock 31 and after numerous research the .357Sig is a very HOT round. I use hollows/JHP to solve the "over-penetration" issue.
+1

G33 with Gold Dots. As for ammo availability, I just hit the gunshow that rolls around every couple months. Gold Dots: $.40/ round. Federal FMJ $.29/ round.

There's a show on Verizons programming called Best Defense. Its a VERY good show (I dvr the series). Covers all forms of self defense: home, parking lots, malls, ATMs, etc. Anyways, they did one show, using several 2x4 walls several feet apart (on an outdoor range) and fired a 9mm jhp, 45 jhp, 223 rifle, and 12 ga using 00 buck, then birdshot- demonstrating 1: if you were to miss your "threat", and 2: how the rounds reacted to the drywall(s), and how far they travelled. The 9mm went through all 4 sets of walls, as did the 223; the 45 stopped at the 4th wall, 00 stopped at the 3rd wall, and birdshot barely made it through the 2nd wall, illustrating that your child or your spouse hiding in another bedroom could very well have been hit or killed even down the hallway! So, for the home, shotgun would be the preferred weapon, other than that, even though the 45 is a bigger more powerful round, there is much less chance of the round going through your target and into an innocent victim, due to its lower velocity. If anyone has Verizon with the DVR, search Best Defense

I voted for the 45acp; big pills pure and simple. I'm glad the 357Sig round wasn't listed as that would have made my choice difficult. I really love both rounds. I missed the 357magnum when I parted with it. The 125gr 357sig gives it back to me.

I think it will depend on the physical size of gun you carry, or intend to. 45's, for the most part, are rather cumbersome compared to 380/9mm. Also, the size and strength of the hands will dictate caliber choice as well. My 63 YO wife, with small hands and arthritic thumbs, prefers to CC a Titanium Taurus 38sp revolver. I have very large hands so I can handle my HP 40,45, etc., but I choose to carry in a IWB holster, my 9mm. I cannot imagine getting into a situation of a out-of-control firefight, so my accuracy with my HP 9mm will represent me well, Mano y Mano. I am an active 2x a month SASS shooter, so in a perfect world I really would prefer my 45 LC Taurus Single Action Gaucho, but heck, trying to carry it concealed is darn near impossible. Knock Down Impact?...of course my HP 45 ACP but practicality dictates my 9mm with JHP. All this IMHO of course as usual...BC :laugh:

I like the .45 round, and I can control my weapon, but if someone is of a lighter frame, then a 9mm or .40 is a reasonable round for them. A .357 Mag doesen't really do any good if you cannot control the weapon and hit your target. Bigger is not always better.

Granddad always said...

never take a gun to a gunfight the caliber of which does not start with the number 4!!!

You never hear of anyone Emptying a 45 into a bad guy. 1 or 2 little blue pills generally do the job on the first try.

.40 S&W has just as good a reputation as a 45 for knockdown but is not as wildly popular. It is however carried by most police departments and that speaks volumes for it's combat effectiveness.

9mm simply does not get it done as a military round. It might with a good hollow-point bullet but as ball ammo it pretty much sucks. The last time I went through M-9 training we were being taught 2 to the chest one to the head makes an insurgent extremely dead. That is because 9mm ball ammo is not a one shot stop.

As has already been said, whatever model/caliber you will carry and can shoot accurately. It has also been said that a .22 that you will carry is better than a .357 that you leave at home because it's too heavy/uncomfortable. I'm not saying to carry a .22, I'm just saying it's better than not carrying anything at all. Just my opinion.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back