Bad idea

Our little dog sleeps in the house but she sleeps so sound I don't think anything would wake her up. However no one will get in without waking us up. We have bars on every window and door. It would require a lot of noise to get through those and then the alarm would go off. Not only do we have the inside siren but one in the attic by the vent on one end of the house. That one can be heard two blocks away. I will be wide awake by the time all that happens and waiting for the intruder.

Our little dog sleeps in the house but she sleeps so sound I don't think anything would wake her up. However no one will get in without waking us up. We have bars on every window and door. It would require a lot of noise to get through those and then the alarm would go off. Not only do we have the inside siren but one in the attic by the vent on one end of the house. That one can be heard two blocks away. I will be wide awake by the time all that happens and waiting for the intruder.

Doesn't having bars on the windows and doors make it harder to get out if there's a fire? I'd be nervous about that.

Bad Idea

My grandfather was a city police officer in a large Midwest sity in the 1920's. In those days, any time a city officer did anything noteworthy, good or bad, his name appeared in the paper. One time my grandmother was visiting a sick friend and grandad had his service revolver under his pillow. I guess he had a rather vivid dream, because in the middle of the night,he suddenly awoke with a start and put a round through the ceiling. I have the newspaper account of the occurance, as well as many others, in his scrapbook.

My grandfather was a city police officer in a large Midwest sity in the 1920's. In those days, any time a city officer did anything noteworthy, good or bad, his name appeared in the paper. One time my grandmother was visiting a sick friend and grandad had his service revolver under his pillow. I guess he had a rather vivid dream, because in the middle of the night,he suddenly awoke with a start and put a round through the ceiling. I have the newspaper account of the occurance, as well as many others, in his scrapbook.

I will not sleep with one under my pillow. There is way to many variables that can come into play. Bad Idea guys

Doesn't having bars on the windows and doors make it harder to get out if there's a fire? I'd be nervous about that.

Life is a seres of choices. You pick what you think is the greater threat. With crime what it is today I am more concerned about that than the possibility of a fire. Besides I have a way to unlatch them from the inside.

Life is a seres of choices. You pick what you think is the greater threat. With crime what it is today I am more concerned about that than the possibility of a fire. Besides I have a way to unlatch them from the inside.

Ok, but what about your kids? Would they be able to unlatch them if there were a fire? I understand about picking what the greater threat is, but it's still something you have to consider.

Ok, but what about your kids? Would they be able to unlatch them if there were a fire? I understand about picking what the greater threat is, but it's still something you have to consider.

When they were little they were tought how. They are both grown and married now so not a question.

Last edited:
Now he uses them to keep his kids out.:girl_wacko: I like my four legged meat grinder.Even though our geese were better.:kiss3:

When they were little they were tought how. They are both grown and married now so not a question.

Well, I suppose that as long as they do their job of keeping criminals out and still let you out if there's a fire, then ok. I'm not sure I'd want them though. Currently that's not an option for me because I live in an apartment and can't install them. Secondly, I live on the fourth floor, so the chances of anyone breaking in through the windows is virtually nonexistent, at least compared to the typical house.

Gel that sucker!

Mine's in the nightstand drawer and hot. I have a little led light mounted inside the drawer, with a magnetic switch that turns the light on inside the drawer when I open it. Though I keep nothing else in the drawer, I still find a little light helpful.
Link Removed

Onetuza, you may want to consider putting a layer or three of red gel over the lens of your light. The red color will make a much smaller impact on your night vision than will white light. Also, like the old "nuke bomber" pilots used to do, you might want to open Only your non-dominant eye until after you close the drawer. As the big, bad wolf once said, "All the better to SEE you, my dear." :wink:

Tatted, while I normally regard what you post as quite good and well-rooted in procedure, I must take exception to your evaluation of the sound of a racking shotgun. I used to believe that way, also. I was on a call one time where a guy was tearing up an apartment. Just as we pulled up, he ran out of the apartment and across a field. I bailed out of the right side of the patrol car with the 12 gauge, yeled, "Halt! Sheriff's Department,' As i racked a round into the chamber. The guy left six feet of skid marks in the dirt as he sllid to a stop, threw his hands in the air and flopped onto his face. I have been reading recently many experts in the field of tactical weaponry that recommend keeping the shotgun fully stocked, which means one in the chamber. Their position is that the sound of a shotgun being charged does not have the magical ability to make a BG wet his pants and become a blubbering mass of jel-o While the sound of a shotgun being racked was recognized by virtually all the subjects in a test of peoples' recognition of sounds, people of all ages and experience levels recognized the shotgun, but that does not necessarily translate to a deterent. I have seen people who were high on drugs that would probably not even realize that a gun had been fired at him, let alone charged. Today, I would prefer to have five rounds in my shotgun than four, or as many as the longest magazine I could get, plus one in the tube.

Tatted, while I normally regard what you post as quite good and well-rooted in procedure, I must take exception to your evaluation of the sound of a racking shotgun. I used to believe that way, also. I was on a call one time where a guy was tearing up an apartment. Just as we pulled up, he ran out of the apartment and across a field. I bailed out of the right side of the patrol car with the 12 gauge, yeled, "Halt! Sheriff's Department,' As i racked a round into the chamber. The guy left six feet of skid marks in the dirt as he sllid to a stop, threw his hands in the air and flopped onto his face. I have been reading recently many experts in the field of tactical weaponry that recommend keeping the shotgun fully stocked, which means one in the chamber. Their position is that the sound of a shotgun being charged does not have the magical ability to make a BG wet his pants and become a blubbering mass of jel-o While the sound of a shotgun being racked was recognized by virtually all the subjects in a test of peoples' recognition of sounds, people of all ages and experience levels recognized the shotgun, but that does not necessarily translate to a deterent. I have seen people who were high on drugs that would probably not even realize that a gun had been fired at him, let alone charged. Today, I would prefer to have five rounds in my shotgun than four, or as many as the longest magazine I could get, plus one in the tube.

I disagree. The sound of a shotgun being racked lets them know that the person standing a few feet away from them has a weapon that is loaded and ready to go. That's how I've always done it, and that's how I'll continue to do it.

I disagree. The sound of a shotgun being racked lets them know that the person standing a few feet away from them has a weapon that is loaded and ready to go. That's how I've always done it, and that's how I'll continue to do it.

I agree 115%

When you’re a LEO and you rack a shell, the BG might not stop because you are the law and he’s already planned to run. Might not always be the case, however how many times does a LEO yell “Stop or I’ll shoot” or something along those lines. I highly doubt all BG’s will stop and drop.

However, in a home invasion, a BG who is not necessarily thinking the homeowner is armed, this will be a deterrent. If a BG is coming up the stairs of a home and hears the rack in the room, I seriously believe that he will wet his pants and turn right back around. If he doesn't, then that’s his problem right then and there. That sound of the rack might be all that is needed to prevent a bad situation from turning into an even worse situation. I agree with Tatted 115%

Now he uses them to keep his kids out.:girl_wacko: I like my four legged meat grinder.Even though our geese were better.:kiss3:

:yes4: Grew up with guineas in the yard. I don't think anything can slip by them. Best alarm system around.

I keep my Sig P228 in my ThunderWear, ready for action at a moment's notice. :)

Actually, we have a six year old in the house and even though she knows gun safety and already has two of her own, my 228 is actually in a small gunsafe right under my night stand. I can access the weapon and flashlight in about 15 seconds when necessary.

I would not keep a loaded weapon under my pillow for fear of havnig a dream that became all too real.

I agree 115%

When you’re a LEO and you rack a shell, the BG might not stop because you are the law and he’s already planned to run. Might not always be the case, however how many times does a LEO yell “Stop or I’ll shoot” or something along those lines. I highly doubt all BG’s will stop and drop.

However, in a home invasion, a BG who is not necessarily thinking the homeowner is armed, this will be a deterrent. If a BG is coming up the stairs of a home and hears the rack in the room, I seriously believe that he will wet his pants and turn right back around. If he doesn't, then that’s his problem right then and there. That sound of the rack might be all that is needed to prevent a bad situation from turning into an even worse situation. I agree with Tatted 115%
Is it better to have a home defense shotgun set up to first make sound effects, or to fire off a round? I keep one in the tube, if for no other reasons than to keep my options open. You might not have time to pump the foregrip, or you might not be able to after the attacker gets you first with a surprise shot. Don't just assume that you're going to get that advantageous, ideal position gift-wrapped and delivered. If someone has already committed to breaking into your home, they've crossed a line that signals their interest in getting into a serious fight.

If you're in a situation where noise is going to be to your disadvantage, then you might be in deep if you have to go making that impressive-but-useless racking noise. It's not going to save you if the attacker fires first.

If you do want to take a less deadly approach and make the noise, you can always hold the release down and eject an unfired shell, and load another. It won't affect your magazine capacity.

Last edited:
If we're home, I will know if someone approaches the house. It will not be a surprise. The single second it takes to rack the slide will not be relevant to the outcome. I'm much more comfortable carrying a 1911 around the house than a shotgun.

When I was stationed in UTAH

A buddy of mine had his apartment broken into. He was at home and the perp broke the bathroom window out during his illegal entry. My friend racked a shell into his 870 and the perp bailed out the same window he entered from leaving a trail of blood and making the guy easy to catch at the hospital ER.

Under the pillow is a Bad Idea. Mine is Hot w/ Saftey On and is very close to me locked in the Safe. I have practiced in the dark opening the Safe and getting in position with the firearm (unloaded). Member on here mentioned the light thingy he purchased. Well, I just purchased 7 of them awhile ago. It will be perfect for all my Safes and I may give the others out to my friends as xmas gifts for their setups.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back