Bad idea

I disagree. I don't keep on in the chamber on my 12 gauge pump shotgun that I keep under the bed because the deterrent effect of a round being chambered will be enough to stop most BGs in their tracks.

I agree! Nothing is more noticable than a pump action being chambered. This will stop almost any BG in there track. Maybe not all, but most will think things over. +1 Tatted!

Keeping a loaded firearm under one's head while sleeping shows a serious lack of judgment.:nono: My weapon is kept on my nitestand hot & ready, though I pray to never have to use it.

For those of you who keep a weapon on the nightstand and keep a round chambered, don't you worry about touching the trigger while fumbling around in the dark for your weapon? This concern about touching the trigger is exactly why I don't keep a round chambered in my Glock. Furthermore, I'm doubly disadvantaged due to the fact that I would have to put my glasses on in addition to reaching for my gun in the event of a home invasion. I guess my question is, how is fumbling around for a hot gun on the nightstand in the dark any less dangerous than keeping a loaded gun underneath one's pillow?

Last edited:
No fumbling here. I've got tritiums on mine and they make it easy to find the gun in total darkness. As for the trigger, no problem. Even if I hit the trigger, which I won't, it's a 1911. If you can't safely handle your weapon in the dark you shouldn't be reaching for it in the first place. Just my two-cents.

PS... Keeping a loaded DA revolver under your pillow may be uncomfortable, but it's nowhere near the Major No-no some folks apparently think it is.

No fumbling here. I've got tritiums on mine and they make it easy to find the gun in total darkness. As for the trigger, no problem. Even if I hit the trigger, which I won't, it's a 1911. If you can't safely handle your weapon in the dark you shouldn't be reaching for it in the first place. Just my two-cents.

I agree. My hk has night sites. No mistake and no fumbling when I reach for it.

Ok, however I'm willing to wager that most people don't have night sights on their weapons. What about them? As for being the comment about being able safely handle their weapons in the dark, I agree, but only if you're carrying it. Let's face it, if you're in a deep sleep and get awakened by a the sound of someone breaking in, can you confidently say that you'll be able to reach for your weapon just as well as you'd be able to during the daytime? This is something I've actually practiced, and after 100 reps (on an unloaded weapon, of course), I touched the trigger 63 times. I'll just continue to stick with doing it the way I do it now, with no round in the chamber.

My Glock 23 is holstered and "hot" on the bedside table. I have a group of friends that get together and we train in our homes using airsoft pistols.

We've had great results. No serious mishaps, so far only a broken lamp and cracked picture frame. Small price to pay for the quality training.

gf

Ok, however I'm willing to wager that most people don't have night sights on their weapons. What about them? As for being the comment about being able safely handle their weapons in the dark, I agree, but only if you're carrying it. Let's face it, if you're in a deep sleep and get awakened by a the sound of someone breaking in, can you confidently say that you'll be able to reach for your weapon just as well as you'd be able to during the daytime? This is something I've actually practiced, and after 100 reps (on an unloaded weapon, of course), I touched the trigger 63 times. I'll just continue to stick with doing it the way I do it now, with no round in the chamber.

For me if I thought I could not get to my gun with out getting my finger on the trigger and shooting myself or someone I did not intend to shoot then I doubt that I would be able to rack the slide before I got shot either. If someone is not comfortable with one in the pipe then they should not have one in the pipe. For me it is not and issue.

Everyone should do what they are comfortable with and what their level of competence tells them they can do.

As a suggestion– maybe the item that should be under your pillow is a powerful light, like a Surefire or something similar in the 60-70 lumens range. The light is handy, will destroy an intruder's night vision, and will also give a fumble-fingers some light to see his gun so he doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

Everyone should do what they are comfortable with and what their level of competence tells them they can do.

As a suggestion– maybe the item that should be under your pillow is a powerful light, like a Surefire or something similar in the 60-70 lumens range. The light is handy, will destroy an intruder's night vision, and will also give a fumble-fingers some light to see his gun so he doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

+1. I keep a Streamlight Strion handy.

I think it depends on how quickly you become "awake"..... as in mentally able to safely handle a firearm. I've been an EMT for many years, and I'm awake in a few seconds. I don't sleep motionless, so the 1911 is on the nightstand in condition 1.

My Glock 23 is holstered and "hot" on the bedside table. I have a group of friends that get together and we train in our homes using airsoft pistols.

We've had great results. No serious mishaps, so far only a broken lamp and cracked picture frame. Small price to pay for the quality training.

gf

Care to explain further? This gave me a really funny mental picture of you and your buddies doing scheduled break ins at each others homes in the dead of night . . . to be real good training you'd probably have to actually be asleep to start with, don't you think? :lazy:

Care to explain further? This gave me a really funny mental picture of you and your buddies doing scheduled break ins at each others homes in the dead of night . . . to be real good training you'd probably have to actually be asleep to start with, don't you think? :lazy:

That's why it's a good idea to have several levels of home defense other than a gun. A dog or an alarm are good to have.

Most of us work wierd shifts being either "swing shift", "graveyard" or in some cases even "split shifts". What we'll do is meet up on a weekend that we all manage to have the day (or night) off. We get to the house, then secure ALL firearms that are capable of shooting live ammo. The person being trained has his/her airsoft pistol checked by the designated safety officer. The person training will then go to bed (in full safety gear), while the rest of us will suit up and kick back for a couple of hours. Once we're confident that the guy (or gal) training is asleep, we'll begin our exercise.

On a couple of times I've questioned if my buddies were actually asleep, but we work on the honor system. Keep in mind that if they "cheat" then the're only hurting themself as they'll never know how they would operate if the situation were "real".

I like the multiple attacker scenario (usually 3 or 4). Though it's highly unlikely, it's good practice should this type of attack ever occur. Our exercise allows for the detention of attackers if possible. This is good practice in the event that an actual attacker surrenders after seeing his friend(s) being shot.

All of us have some level of training in handcuffing and arrest tactics. It's a great way to get quality training while getting to know our tight group of friends.

gf

Most of us work wierd shifts being either "swing shift", "graveyard" or in some cases even "split shifts". What we'll do is meet up on a weekend that we all manage to have the day (or night) off. We get to the house, then secure ALL firearms that are capable of shooting live ammo. The person being trained has his/her airsoft pistol checked by the designated safety officer. The person training will then go to bed (in full safety gear), while the rest of us will suit up and kick back for a couple of hours. Once we're confident that the guy (or gal) training is asleep, we'll begin our exercise.

On a couple of times I've questioned if my buddies were actually asleep, but we work on the honor system. Keep in mind that if they "cheat" then the're only hurting themself as they'll never know how they would operate if the situation were "real".

I like the multiple attacker scenario (usually 3 or 4). Though it's highly unlikely, it's good practice should this type of attack ever occur. Our exercise allows for the detention of attackers if possible. This is good practice in the event that an actual attacker surrenders after seeing his friend(s) being shot.

All of us have some level of training in handcuffing and arrest tactics. It's a great way to get quality training while getting to know our tight group of friends.

gf

Man... I love this. I wish I had friends that would participate in this. That sounds like real fun too. I think thats an excelent training idea. You can never be over prepared in my eyes. Way to go!

Man... I love this. I wish I had friends that would participate in this. That sounds like real fun too. I think thats an excelent training idea. You can never be over prepared in my eyes. Way to go!

It's great training. Just be sure to let your neighbors know what's going on if you have one of those "neighborhood watch" programs or a very "nosey" neighbor. On one occasion at a buddy's house, the neighbors heard the commotion various commands like "show me your hands, don't make me have to shoot", got scared and called the cops.

We had a good laugh later, but was kind of scary when a dozen cops showed up with guns drawn. :eek:

gf

Arf!

That's why it's a good idea to have several levels of home defense other than a gun. A dog or an alarm are good to have.

Finally a mention of our four legged alarm system. I have my gun close but where I will not grab it in my sleep, but will never get snuck up on due to my two minature schnauzers who will have me long awake before any BG gets near my bedroom. So, maybe the deal is, handgun, maybe a shotgun, a good flashlight and a "yappy dog alarm system."

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back