Bad experience at local sporting goods store

Kaymen

Stopped at a local sporting goods store, don't want to bring up the name, they sell just about everything, except handguns, they had shotguns and rifles. I saw a nice AK-47 and wanted a closer look. After waiting for awhile for a sales clerk to open the case so I could see it, the clerk took the weapon out of the case where it was stored with a mag in it and crossed me with the barrel. He then handed me the weapon with the bolt closed. I removed the mag cleared the weapon and locked the bolt open, then handed it back to him and said thank you and left. I don't believe I will be going back there again. It was a polish made M60, or at least that is what was listed on the tag. The price was $750, I didn't care for the price much either.

Question

How exactly do you lock a bolt open on an AK, and then not know for sure what it was because of the tag? Did it have a 30 Rd "clip" in it too?

How exactly do you lock a bolt open on an AK, and then not know for sure what it was because of the tag? Did it have a 30 Rd "clip" in it too?

No need to be a smart ass! The sad fact of the matter is most chain stores that sell firearms do not teach their employees how to handle them. I'm glade to see you did the right thing and did a your own safety check on it. As you should do anytime someone hands you a firearm.

It probably did have a 30 Rd "clip" in it:

Link Removed

CLIP
A device for holding a group of cartridges. Semantic wars have been fought over the word, with some insisting it is not a synonym for "detachable magazine." For 80 years, however, it has been so used by manufacturers and the military. There is no argument that it can also mean a separate device for holding and transferring a group of cartridges to a fixed or detachable magazine or as a device inserted with cartridges into the mechanism of a firearm becoming, in effect, part of that mechanism.

Clip - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also: a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm

I really am getting tired of the constant clip vs. magazine correction and think that from now on I am going to refer to either one as the "ammothingy". That way I can insult the intelligence of everyone and be corrected by all. :to_pick_ones_nose:

I really am getting tired of the constant clip vs. magazine correction and think that from now on I am going to refer to either one as the "ammothingy". That way I can insult the intelligence of everyone and be corrected by all. :to_pick_ones_nose:

I don't blame you, I knew what you meant. Clip or magazine, in the context it is obvious what you meant. Yea, that price tag seems a little steep for even the Polish version. :biggrin:

Ammothingy.... :biggrin: I like it.

I've noticed this is common place in most firearm retailers not just chains.

There are some gun shops here, locally owned guns & ammo no fishin' type of stores and their employees handle weapons the same way. I think their mentality is based on "weapons in the case are clear".

While they may KNOW that for fact, I do not and also feel uncomfortable while shopping for a new firearm and having the clerk cover me with the muzzle. I think they just handle weapons all day every day and become comfortable. Unfortunately, far too many know what happens when you don't respect the weapon....

Ps. - I call it a "mag" or "magazine" but if you said "I'm having trouble loading a new clip" I'd know what you meant, but heckle you for sounding like a rapper, and move on.

99.9 percent of the time, weather your talking to a (gun guy) or not the people your speaking with know exactly what your talking about, and personaly I couldn't give a crap weather somebody calls it a clip, magazine, ammo tube, or that thingy where the bullits go, and while on the subject, its not cool at all when a newby that thinks they know about guns, permits, law in general, comes on here and ether takes issue, or corrects someone with there own OPINION, then you have everybody pissed at you, then after that weather your right or not your opinion will be taken with a grain of salt, and you may just get told to F off

Also Kayman may not have known exactly what he was looking at, but the clerk was not trained to be a gun clerk, and should not have been in charge,

How exactly do you lock a bolt open on an AK.....?

You can with a modified safety lever, one with a notch cut into the rear of it. Highly unlikely on a new weapon. I've only ever heard of it as an aftermarket modification.

LOL! There are a handful of people on these boards who rely on nitpicking, hair-splitting, and petty semantics in an effort to make a point.

The people that work in sporting good stores are usually students and have no clue or interests in what the store is selling they are only there for the paycheck. Looking at it from their point of view no gun in the store is loaded with ammo so there is no need to check to see if it is loaded when they know it is not. Gun stores on the other hand know that the people coming in to shop usually have some experience with a gun and know the basic rules of handling a gun.

:sarcastic:

FN - Thank You SOOOO much..
I've only known it as the Ammothingy.. You mean there are other names for it also??? :sarcastic:

I've noticed this is common place in most firearm retailers not just chains.

There are some gun shops here, locally owned guns & ammo no fishin' type of stores and their employees handle weapons the same way. I think their mentality is based on "weapons in the case are clear".

able

A few years ago, I was at a gun show in Raleigh. I was standing at a vendor's table and the person standing next to me picked up a .22 auto, cocked it and "dry fired" it. But there was a live round in the chamber. Fortunately he had it pointed downward at the display table and there were no injuries.

But it sure got a lot of peoples attention, including me.

99.9 percent of the time, weather your talking to a (gun guy) or not the people your speaking with know exactly what your talking about, and personaly I couldn't give a crap weather somebody calls it a clip, magazine, ammo tube, or that thingy where the bullits go, and while on the subject, its not cool at all when a newby that thinks they know about guns, permits, law in general, comes on here and ether takes issue, or corrects someone with there own OPINION, then you have everybody pissed at you, then after that weather your right or not your opinion will be taken with a grain of salt, and you may just get told to F off

99.9 percent of the time, whether you're talking to a (gun guy) or not the people you're speaking with know exactly what you're talking about, and personally I couldn't give a crap whether somebody calls it a clip, magazine, ammo tube, or that thingy where the bullets go, and while on the subject, it's not cool at all when a newbie that thinks they know about guns, permits, law in general, comes on here and either takes issue, or corrects someone with their own OPINION, then you have everybody pissed at you, then after that whether you're right or not your opinion will be taken with a grain of salt, and you may just get told to F off

Okay, I corrected the spelling, but I'm not going to tackle the grammar.

99.9 percent of the time, whether you're talking to a (gun guy) or not the people you're speaking with know exactly what you're talking about, and personally I couldn't give a crap whether somebody calls it a clip, magazine, ammo tube, or that thingy where the bullets go, and while on the subject, it's not cool at all when a newbie that thinks they know about guns, permits, law in general, comes on here and either takes issue, or corrects someone with their own OPINION, then you have everybody pissed at you, then after that whether you're right or not your opinion will be taken with a grain of salt, and you may just get told to F off

Okay, I corrected the spelling, but I'm not going to tackle the grammar.

OK, just a couple of questions, are you a school teacher, or a practicing smartass who looks they have nothing better to do:angry:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back