Back to Basics.

ND = negligent discharge. This term is used by many, including me, to replace the term AD (accidental discharge). The thought process being that 99.9% of firearm accidents are due to some sort of negligence and not an accident.

As for dry practice and snap caps, check with the firearm manufacturer. I know that Ruger recommends dry practice with their revolvers like the SP101 & GP100. I use a snap cap in my Sig P229, mostly because I don't have to cycle the slide to fire repeatedly. My P229 has over 30,000 dry practice shots so far. I don't use a snap cap in my Springfield XDM40, because the slide has to be racked (at least partially) to reset the action. It's a pain because, if I cycle it too far, the snap cap will eject.

The Ruger has an exposed hammer, so I can cycle it without racking the slide.

I agree that there are very few accidental discharges.

I do keep a round in the chamber and I keep the safety off when I'm around the house. But I keep the hammer uncocked at all times. It's ready to go if I need it, but it won't go off if I drop it or knock the hammer up against anything or nudge the trigger... I have to pull the trigger pretty hard (~8Lb) and make a full stroke for it to do anything.

That's a big safety plus to me, that it'll act as a Double Action for that first shot. I can see that the state of the hammer at a glance or feel it in the dark.

Last edited:
First basic thing I finally learned, and it only took 500 rounds to figure it out:

Forget stance, Forget grip, Forget dominant eye...

Let the damn gun recoil.

I keep my wrist LOCKED and try to pull the gun down while firing or muscle it into staying where it is to combat the force of it going up... I essentially wanted to aim once, to fire multiple rounds. This is WRONG.

Let it rock up when it goes off, kinda like a follow through. Reaim, Fire again. Repeat.

Negligent Discharge - which almost always includes a lawyer and several bad days days following ....

Be safe brotha!!:cool:

Careful! That is a hang fire! Very dangerous!

What is ND? Non-Discharge? Like a dud round?
I'd expect to rack the slide, pick up the dud and drop it in the hole in the ammo case at the back of the range marked for duds.

Those "duds" are called hang fires. The problem is that you might pull the trigger with no effect, pull the trigger again (if the pistol has second strike capability) with still no effect, and then have the darn cartridge discharge while you are racking, or shortly thereafter. As you can imagine, it makes for a very uncomfortable time.

If you have a hang fire, or even suspect you have a dud in the barrel, you should keep the pistol pointed downrange for at least 60 seconds before attempting to eject the intact cartridge. Even then, I crouch down close to the ground (indoor range just place close to rest),turn my semi-automatic handgun so that the ejection port is facing away from me, and try to eject the cartridge as gently as possible. Then you place it in the "dud" box.

Nice to see a new shooter really exploring the safety side of the issue. You are a good example for the rest of us, experienced and novice alike.

^

Good to know. I'd hate to hurt myself with a dud cartridge.

And I'd like to stay safe, as if I kill myself or end up in jail, I can't shoot anymore. Staying intact and out of jail are two things I value most in life.

Back to Basics

Both in the prison academy and the police academy, the instructors included 'Ball and Dummy' training. The instructor would load your weapon (revolvers then), so you never knew how many rounds were in the gun or where they were. This really shows up bad habits. With a semi auto, they use fired cases mixed in at random with live rounds. When you don't know if you will get a click or a bang, it makes you more aware of your sight picture and breath and trigger control.

A lefty shooter should only shoot left foot forward when shooting one-handed. At least in target shooting aplications.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back