ATTN: South Carolina CWP experts!!!


New member
Good afternoon.

I moved from Missouri [where I have my CWP and documentation of training by a certified NRA Instructor with 8 hours of classroom training and 2 hours of combat handgun training] to South Carolina and I was wondering what the protocol was to get legal in SC.

As I understand it, now that I have moved my permanent residence, my Missouri CWP is no longer valid and I must get a SC issued CWP to be reinstated. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great.

I also understand that I must have had training within the last 3 years which I meet that qualification since I got my training documentation about a year and a half ago in Missouri. My question is, in observance of the SC requirement to know SC laws, do I really have to pay for training once again in SC to get my CWP or is there an easier way since I have documentation of handgun safety and use from a reciprocal state?

The only thing I can see I would be missing from qualification is documenation showing I know SC state gun laws, but I could be wrong.

A point in the right direction will be fantastic.



From the application. You can call SLED and see if you meet the requirements.

Documentation of Training: (To be completed by the training instructor)
This will certify that this applicant has satisfactorily completed a training program, lasting not less than eight (8) hours and has met all requirements of Section 23-31-210, related statutes and SLED Regulations concerning Concealable Weapons Permit training.

EXEMPTION FROM TRAINING REQUIREMENTS: An applicant is exempt from the training requirement if he or she: (a) is an instructor certified by the NRA or another SLED-approved national organization promoting safe use of handguns; (b) is an active duty police handgun instructor; (c) has a SLED-certified or approved competitive handgun shooting classification; (d) is a member of the active or reserve military, or of the National Guard who has had handgun training in the last 3 years; (e) can demonstrate to the Chief of SLED or his designee a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns. No other exemptions exist
Hello mhohenberg,
I'm an NRA certified pistol instructor and SLED certified Concealed Weapons Permit Instructor. I have several facilities across SC and would be glad to certify you. I pride myself in learning from everyone I certify. I assure you I will keep your expense to a bare minimum. According to SC law I'm responsible for anything you do with any weapon after I certify you. I reside just south of Columbia but travel a great deal and my classes seldom have more than 6 people in them. I enjoy the personal interaction enabled by the smaller class size. I can be reached by phone 802-516-2373 or email [email protected] Good luck and if you need ANYTHING feel free to contact me. I'm very well connected and would be happy to use my connections to save you money with nearly everything. BTW, Welcome Home! Hope to see you soon, Jim Black
Call SLED, ask for Regulatory and Training. They may accept your previous handgun training but from prior experiences, you'll probably still have to take the Concealed Weapons Permit Course. If you are moving to Horry County, call me at (843) 249-4885.
Since we have reciprocity with Missouri SLED may accept your training. Like said above Give SLED a call.

Concealed Weapons Permits, Security Guard, and Private Investigator Questions
Worst case is you pay $50 and spend a Saturday getting some refresher training, not a bad way to spend a day. And maybe you will learn something about SC law that you would not otherwise, make a few connections, or even meet a gun-toten SC Hottie who ejoys long walks on the beach, Fall sunsets, driving her Carolina Skiff, and a weekend at Frontsight qualifying with an Uzi. :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Latest member