attacked at home while i was sleeping

I'm sorry but a weapon in this case would of done nothing. Being asleep and waking up to someone crushing you what are your going to do? If the gun was on you chances are pretty good that it would of been found.

Glad to hear you are ok I just don't see how in this situation having a weapon on your person would of helped the situation.

Good point here. Kinda makes you wonder tho, about the best ways to avoid letting someone in while you are gone or how to do something that will let you know a person entered, who should not be there, while you were out... Food for thought for sure.

Donna, first let me say that I'm glad you are okay! You are extremely lucky that his timing was bad and he didn't leave enough time to complete his planned act. Obviously you've learned the locked door lesson. However, I would like to make two points here: I think the ONLY place to have a gun when you need it is on you. Women's method of dress does not always allow for a traditional holster, but with some creative thinking, you can have a gun ready to go under any outfit that you can wear a bra with the Link Removed. The maker of this holster is creating them for new models all the time, so just search the seller and check his listings for your preferred firearm. There is also a video on Youtube on how to properly wear and use this holster since it is brand new.

Secondly, my personal thought is that your neighbor should be a little better educated. If your car is home, you are home. If you don't answer the phone, either check on you or call the police immediately if someone is entering the house. It's better to have the police show up and find you at home with a mistaken call rather than what actually happened to you. If they are a "Don''t get involved" kind of person, find a neighbor that will and buddy up with them. Let everyone else around you know to call your "Buddy" should you be unreachable. Your buddy should have a key to your place or know exactly what to do should an emergency be in progress. In this way, you constantly are looking out for each other - your own personal neighborhood watch!

Scary. I walked in on a burglar once and fortunately for me, he was unarmed. I need to get more comfortable handling the handgun that we keep, as it is challenging for me to shoot it in practice, much less in a fear-filled scenario. Thanks for your advice.

Glad you're ok, Donna. I agree with those who say to have the gun on you...
Years ago, I had an unmarked Crown Vic in front of my house. It was somewhere between 4 and 5 AM, and I had come home, taken off my uniform and gone to sleep without dinner. I woke up to some noise in the front bedroom. BG had come in through a second story window. By the time I got to him, he was halfway across that room. It happens so quickly.
For home defense, I keep the doors and windows locked, and now, keyed exterior locks on all of the bedroom doors. If someone comes into the house and breaks through the locked bedroom doors.....there is obviously some sort of danger to myself and my wife. You get the point...
I also agree with the statement about the revolver- they don't really jam or mis-feed like a semi-auto.

Self defense classes are so important for everyone but especially woman. Learning how to deal with these situations under stress can save your life, or in the very least your mental state. The groin, the eyes, the neck and places and certain attacks can certainly change the course of events drastically. Once I get my wife comfortable with guns I'm praying I can get her to start packing a little mouse gun for backup. She's a very strong fighter but I want and pray she will be able to walk away from any situation. I'm very happy you were able to get away and also to share your story. I leave my front door unlocked a lot and also have a 6 year old who plays out front a lot so the door will never stay locked, I think ill also be purchasing a little lcp or something to ALWAYS have something in my pocket.

The man was caught and gave a full confession of what he did to me. It took me a month and 6 days before I could even step outside my door. I am still healing and I thought I was doing pretty good until last week the prosecuting attorney Clint Spurrier told me there may be no trial Because this man got a low IQ test score and he can't hold him accountable for what he did. So basically, anyone who gets a 52 on an IQ test is free to walk the streets and do what they please. They are exempt from a trial!!! Did anyone else know this??? I contacted the attorney generals office in Des Moines to get help and protest, but they told me they can't get involved unless Mr. Spurrier invites them into the case. This man has a driving license, was able to pass the test, held the same job for ten years, graduated high school, and they tell me he is not smart enough to go to trial? The procecuting attorney told me the best they can do is give me a restraining order. But if they wont convict him, than he is free to do what he wants to me, you, our children. Does anyone have any advice or feel as angry as me, my husband of 20 years, and my 3 teenage daughters?

I'm sorry that happened to you. I showed this story to my wife who thinks I'm too "paranoid" for no matter what or where especially at home having a gun within one arms distance at all times. I guess war did make me a little paranoid, but rightfully so.

The man was caught and gave a full confession of what he did to me. It took me a month and 6 days before I could even step outside my door. I am still healing and I thought I was doing pretty good until last week the prosecuting attorney Clint Spurrier told me there may be no trial Because this man got a low IQ test score and he can't hold him accountable for what he did. So basically, anyone who gets a 52 on an IQ test is free to walk the streets and do what they please. They are exempt from a trial!!! Did anyone else know this??? I contacted the attorney generals office in Des Moines to get help and protest, but they told me they can't get involved unless Mr. Spurrier invites them into the case. This man has a driving license, was able to pass the test, held the same job for ten years, graduated high school, and they tell me he is not smart enough to go to trial? The procecuting attorney told me the best they can do is give me a restraining order. But if they wont convict him, than he is free to do what he wants to me, you, our children. Does anyone have any advice or feel as angry as me, my husband of 20 years, and my 3 teenage daughters?
Invest in a good locking system for your doors, inside and out. I know this is expensive but it is well worth your life and your teens' and husband for that matter. Make it a habit for you and your whole family to lock doors behind you, even the comfort rooms. And while you are at it, get a dog. No matter how careful you are and how solid your doors and windows are, if someone wants to break in your house, s/he will.S/he will be your first responder if someone break in.

Another thing, have a gun within reach at all time. You and your immediate family are the only ones that should know where they are located. Get along well with your neighbours...they and your family should be able to support one another when more real $h*ts happens in your neighbourhood.

I am not telling you all these to make you feel good. This is what we do here at our home, our neighbourhood -- good locking system, a rottenweiler, guns and neighbours we trust...despite all these that we live in a good area. With the sign of the times and maybe worse coming, you can never be too careful.

Be safe.
Izzie
P.S. If you think a rottweiler will get too big and too expensive later on, get a Jack Russell terrier or a pit bull...and more range time for the whole family.

Here's another idea to ADD to your security-

I work personal security on the side. I will add another vote to the above comments- good job!
I had a client with a similar problem, and you're right when you say that criminals have all the rights and restraining orders are perfectly worthless. This is what we did for her...
She got an alarm system- monitored. She signed up for a two-year contract for $36.00 per month and they gave her the equipment for free.
We added the locks as stated above. It's best to have a double-cylinder deadbolt. It requires a key from both inside and outside to lock/unlock the door. Many people get these, then leave the key in the lock inside the door. The bad guy needs to smash the sidelight windows and reach inside to unlock the deadbolt. Put the key in the front hall closet with a decent sized key fob for locating it in the dark.
We also used a chin-up bar in her sliding glass door to the patio. This door had a lock on the handle, plus a foot lock, plus the chin-up bar in the sliding track. A foot lock is a spring-activated button where you step on it to slide a pin down into the door frame and kick a small toe latch to unlock it. These can be added to any sliding door or window. A 2x4 board cut to length will work in the sliding door track. Also works for sliding windows.
We also added cow bells on strings tied around the door knobs. We also added Christmas 'jingle bells' to the windows. It's a cheap plan B to the alarm system. It was the bells that tipped us off that the bad guy was trying to get in, and yes, we caught him. He's currently doing some serious time!
I don't know if this helps, but it's useful information, at least...

Thank God you were'nt hurt or worse

At my urging...my wife is applying for her ccw. Women should always be perpared to defend themselves.n

weak prosecuting attorney!

Contact the media. Let them know your story, how the man followed you home and attacked you when you were at your most vulnerable YET Mr. Spurrier feels that he can do nothing to take this man off the streets. Have the media let the people around you know that there is a predator in their midst, and that the DA is telling you that the person cannot be tried for his crime despite the fact that the man has a driving license, was able to pass the test, held the same job for ten years, and graduated high school. Perhaps Mr. Spurrier will find himself with enough pressure to take the case to trial (with or without help from the Des Moines DA) or perhaps Mr. Spurrier will be looking for another job!

I need to have my wife read this thread. As a father of three little girls I can't imaging coming home to find that my wife had been attacked. I agree with most of the comments here. The biggest difference is we don't lock our dots when I am home. My daughters are still young so even though we have had the firearm talk I'm not confident that it has stuck with them. So instead of having firearms all over I have some strategically placed softball bats. Also I am surprised at the lack of anger at the neighbor. I would have had to suggest to then that they move....... For safety reasons.

Amen to that! Agreed!

Contact the media. Let them know your story, how the man followed you home and attacked you when you were at your most vulnerable YET Mr. Spurrier feels that he can do nothing to take this man off the streets. Have the media let the people around you know that there is a predator in their midst, and that the DA is telling you that the person cannot be tried for his crime despite the fact that the man has a driving license, was able to pass the test, held the same job for ten years, and graduated high school. Perhaps Mr. Spurrier will find himself with enough pressure to take the case to trial (with or without help from the Des Moines DA) or perhaps Mr. Spurrier will be looking for another job!

I guess I need to write an actual message: Eaccents is correct.

Count your lucky stars this time...but don't count on luck the next time. As many of the posts say: "BE PREPARED!" for the next time and then pray that the "next time" won't come. And be sure that your kids are trained and prepared as well. The bad guys are everywhere...even in the small towns. You're on the right track it seems. Just don't lose sight of the goal, and, keep your sights handy.

Send the info to Bill O'Reilly at Fox News. Bill knows how to make these types of DA's squirm.

Regarding the comment by G50AE

+1 to that.
Just read an article where the wife of a Police officer was ambushed in her own home. Her gun was 8 inches (or something like that) out of her reach. He smacked her around and raped her, but again, she survived.
I was talking to someone, and his comment was along these lines:
Whether you are unarmed or have a Gatling gun under your bed, bad guys can always wait until you are unprepared.

He also recommended the locks on the bedroom doors, because, if the bad guy comes upstairs and kicks in that locked door, it's an open/closed case of a deadly threat to you. He, too, recommended against looking around your house and trying to perform a "structure clearance" on your own.
I thought that was an interesting comment by a guy who made his living in Special Ops (SWAT). Very interesting...that this topic has been popping up in SEVERAL of my emails and blogs....

There have been several comments here that a gun would have done her no good because she was asleep and awoke too late after the BG was already on top of her.

While true that a gun in a holster in plain view would have been of no use, a gun properly concealed may well have been concealed long enough for her to get to it.

But my suggestion would be a second gun between the back edge of the cushion and the seat back of the sofa. The right hand would fall on it effortlessly.

Securing a holster to the side of the nightstand so it is hidden between the bed and the nightstand is also a good idea for quick access by you when resting in bed.

As for the prosecutor, I think he is full of it. When a person is so incompetent that he has no idea what he is doing, there are places he can be put if he is considered dangerous.

Agreed- it was a nasty situation.

There have been several comments here that a gun would have done her no good because she was asleep and awoke too late after the BG was already on top of her.

While true that a gun in a holster in plain view would have been of no use, a gun properly concealed may well have been concealed long enough for her to get to it.

But my suggestion would be a second gun between the back edge of the cushion and the seat back of the sofa. The right hand would fall on it effortlessly.

Securing a holster to the side of the nightstand so it is hidden between the bed and the nightstand is also a good idea for quick access by you when resting in bed.

As for the prosecutor, I think he is full of it. When a person is so incompetent that he has no idea what he is doing, there are places he can be put if he is considered dangerous.

I like your thinking. Here's a sidebar question, speaking of mattresses...
I have one of those Tempurpedic mattresses- the one that is heavy closed-cell foam and 18.75 inches thick. There's no box spring. Does anyone know of a creative idea like those bedside holsters that does NOT require a space between mattress/box spring?

That is so messed up! Sounds like something that would happen in MA, not Iowa! WOW! Let's get the media (FOX News) involved!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back