Atlanta Woman Uses Taser Gun to Help Officer in Distress

I sure wish we could have access to Taser Guns here in PRHI. If not full CC, Tasers would be a good start.

gf

Link Removed

Atlanta Woman Uses Taser Gun to Help Officer in Distress

Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009
Updated: January 26th, 2009 11:40 AM GMT-05:00

Story by wsbtv.com

LITHONIA, Ga. --

Tanisha Cross never thought the Taser stun gun she received for Christmas would come in handy so soon.

Cross said she was headed to Wal-Mart in Lithonia with her mother when she noticed a DeKalb County police officer in distress.

"I just told my mom pull over, let's try to help," said Cross.

The 20-year-old mother, who received the taser as a gift from her husband, said she kept it in a diaper bag.

Cross said while others gathered to watch, she sprung into action.

"I went straight for my kid’s diaper bag and I got it and asked it if he [officer] wanted me to do it and he said, 'Yea,'" said Cross.

Cross said the officer had a hard time defending himself because the attacker had taken the officer's radio and managed to rub pepper spray in the officer's face and eyes.

Jolting the attacker, Cross' timing couldn't have been better. Cross said she tasered the suspect in his arms and legs.

Cross said she stunned the attacker to where the officer regained his composure and fought back until a security guard came to their aid.

"He's brave," she said. "He did his best to keep him from his gun. He handled the situation very well. I was just glad I could help him," said Cross.

Cross doesn't consider herself a hero.

"I'm just a bystander trying to help do the right thing," said Cross.

Cross said she stunned the attacker to where the officer regained his composure and fought back until a security guard came to their aid.

"He's brave," she said. "He did his best to keep him from his gun. He handled the situation very well. I was just glad I could help him," said Cross.
If the LEO had a gun, why didn't he use it? It's not there for ornamentation.

If the LEO had a gun, why didn't he use it? It's not there for ornamentation.

Lot of LE agencies have policies against drawing your firearm while incapacitated. Makes for extreme difficulty identifying your threats/targets. :eek: A good case in point would be an incident that happened on the island of Maui here in the PRHI. An officer was pursuing a burglary or auto theft suspect (not sure which one). The chased ended up in the ocean where the officer was sprayed with "Bear Spray" (The nasty stuff meant to defend against bears that usually comes in a green canister.) The officer drew his service pistol and fired in the direction of the BG. None of the rounds hit the BG, but they did hit a few cars and a condominium complex. A lot of innocent bystanders were scared silly [or add other explative here]. Policy has since been changed where the officer must not draw their service pistol until they could clearly identify and engage targets/threats.

Considering the situation from what I read, the LEO in GA did an excellent job in retaining his service pistol and keeping the BG at bay. I'm glad that a citizen was able to assist the LEO in making the arrest.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back