ATF changes reality on a whim

Felix Galvan

and declares .223 ammo a pistol caliber so they can make some types illegal ad armor piercing rounds

give them an inch and they'll take a mile

ramrunnr

I found this, while not from the BATF, this should be considered a reliable source (ammunition manufacturer explaining why they cannot continue with manufacture of some of their ammo) Link Removed

ramrunnr

Here is a thread on another forum (that I found in a google search) talking about a guy that was raided by the BATF the day after the ruling.

Link Removed

G50AE

That link doesn't realy explain anything. The GCA-1968 does not regulate the construction of pistol bullets, that was a later piece of legislation, IIRC.

Felix Galvan

regardless of whether it's legal or not, the ATF has declared a specific kind of .223 ammo to be illegal and are seizing it. The problem is the slippery slope. If they're allowed to do this, they will soon do it for another kind, and another, then our guns will be only good for clubs, because all ammo is illegal

--Proud owner of a Kel-Tec PLR-16 (.223 ammo)
Link Removed

Allen Kane

The law banning "cop killer bullets" was passed in 1986, with the support of the NRA. Possession of such bullets is not illegal. Manufacture for sale to other than military, law enforcement, or for export is illegal. Sale of such bullets is illegal (buying them is not). I cannot recall the US Code section, but it should be easy to find the specifics.

F Troop has a long history of capricious rule making. If they are going to declare .223 ammo to be pistol ammo, I would expect them to next declare SS109 ammo illegal. Perhaps we should stock up.

G50AE

The TN gunowners thread was of no help either. Can someone, anyone post a reliable link is to what is going on. In spirit I agree with all the ATF-bashing, but I want real info on this matter.

The TN gunowners thread was of no help either. Can someone, anyone post a reliable link is to what is going on. In spirit I agree with all the ATF-bashing, but I want real info on this matter.

I agree. Without a reliable source, it's nothing more than hearsay.

RJT CCW

It would be nice to have a more official link regarding this ban then just one manufacturer's website.

G50AE

It would be nice to have a more official link regarding this ban then just one manufacturer's website.

Thank you for echoing my previous comments. I would like a link with some info instead of just ATF-bashing comments.

S&W645

NRA Life Member
It has to do with the bullets used in that ammo. Weight of jacket or solid round made of several types of metal including brass, bronze, steel, DU.

ramrunnr

I'e googled it and I've looked on the ATF website. There is a lot of talk about this, but I cannot find anything on the ATF Website saying what is or is not considered pistol ammunition.

firelooker

firelooker
The thing is any rifle ammo can be used as pistol ammo if you're crazy enough to to try. I remember when TC Contender was first introduced to shoot 30-06 ammo I thought that was crazy and still do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NearshoreRnD