At least 10 dead in two-town Alabama shooting spree

ricbak

At least 10 people were killed Tuesday in a shooting spree that spanned two small southern Alabama towns, state officials confirmed. The gunman, and the wife and child of a sheriff's deputy were among those killed.

The shooting started in a neighborhood in Samson, a town of about 3,000 about 15 miles north of the Florida border, just after 4 p.m. (5 p.m. ET) and ended 12 miles away at a manufacturing plant in Geneva, said Alabama state Sen. Harri Anne Smith, who represents Geneva County.

"He was shooting at just ordinary people going about their business," Smith told CNN, saying she had been briefed by state and local law enforcement.
The gunman was killed at the plant, though it remained unclear whether he shot himself or was shot by someone else.

Smith said the wife and child of a Geneva County sheriff's deputy were killed in the shooting spree.

State police Cpl. Steve Jarrett told reporters that the shooter killed six adults and one child in three residences in Samson before heading down state highway 52, firing at least seven bullets into a state trooper car. The trooper sustained minor injuries from shattered glass.

The shooter then killed another person at Samson Pipe and Supply and then another at a service station -- both on highway 52, Jarrett said.

He ended up at the Reliable Metal Products plant in Geneva, where he fired a 30-round burst, injuring the town's police chief, authorities said.

"Then the subject entered the business. Within minutes, shots were heard ... Law enforcement officers found him dead," Jarrett said.

"There are believed to be additional people shot and wounded during these episodes," he said.

Authorities are also investigating an arson at a residence in neighboring Coffee County, where a body has been found. That incident is believed to be related to the shootings, Jarrett said.

The FBI bureau in Mobile, Alabama, sent an agent to assist the Geneva County sheriff's office and local police, a spokeswoman for the FBI said.

Source: CNN.com
This is just starting to show up on the news...

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that the kind of news story that proves that all guns should be outlawed? NOT! I bet the media has a field day!

Isn't that the kind of news story that proves that all guns should be outlawed? NOT! I bet the media has a field day!

The kind of story that proves we should be armed at all times. The random shooter is perhaps the most dangerous of all as they usually plan on dieing and want to take as many with them as they can.

An Alabama man with an assault weapon...

Several other people were injured, including Geneva Police Chief Frankie Lindsey, who was saved by his bulletproof vest, and a state trooper wounded by flying glass when his car was hit with seven slugs.
That's a very curious weapon...it holds numerous slugs, has an apparently semiauto action, but the "slugs" can be stopped by a ballistic vest (possible with a 12 ga slug, but improbable). What's more, he can hit people on their porches from a car. If all of this were true, he would be wielding something like a drum-fed 500 or 870 with a folding stock.

This is more than likely a hunting rifle, although short enough so that he can comfortably maneuver it around inside of an Eclipse. The media certainly does have a way of screwing up a story.

The primary purpose of carrying

The kind of story that proves we should be armed at all times. The random shooter is perhaps the most dangerous of all as they usually plan on dieing and want to take as many with them as they can.

The primary purpose of my carrying is to be prepared to protect myself and others in these (and other) types of events. For these victims, this was NOT a case of a nice guy going into a shady area, where he was victimized. Many of these folks were WHERE they were supposed to be, doing WHAT they were supposed to be doing, and some nut-case comes by and starts shooting. The more folks that were prepared, maybe this guy would have been stopped sooner.

That's a very curious weapon...it holds numerous slugs, has an apparently semiauto action, but the "slugs" can be stopped by a ballistic vest (possible with a 12 ga slug, but improbable). What's more, he can hit people on their porches from a car.

This is more than likely a hunting rifle, although short enough so that he can comfortably maneuver it around inside of an Eclipse. I guess they don't make gun racks for those.

It killed somebody, obviously a military issued "Assault Weapon" of some sort. Get with the program!

:fie:

The primary purpose of my carrying is to be prepared to protect myself and others in these (and other) types of events. For these victims, this was NOT a case of a nice guy going into a shady area, where he was victimized. Many of these folks were WHERE they were supposed to be, doing WHAT they were supposed to be doing, and some nut-case comes by and starts shooting. The more folks that were prepared, maybe this guy would have been stopped sooner.

I agree and welcome to USA carry.

It killed somebody, obviously a military issued "Assault Weapon" of some sort. Get with the program!

:fie:
It was probably a Mini-14 set into black Tupperware. No doubt that will be used to further justify some stupid parts of the AWB II that specify evil grips and stocks.

This will give Eric Holder more "ammo" for his proposed gun ban.

Man, I feel for the folks in that area. What could set some one off like this?

Last edited:
This story is very sad. I believe this story proves that things can happen at an un-expected time while others are doing NOTHING wrong. People were at home. Let’s look at some more information

A) He killed 10 people....Police couldn’t save these people's lives

B) Bad people will do BAD things no matter what is available to them. If his intention was to kill as many people as he possible could, doesn't matter if guns are outlawed or not, he would still kill.

C) No matter what time of day, no matter where you are, no matter whom you are with, sun shining or not, things can happen. Nothing wrong with being prepared 24-7.

Now....I know Anti's will blame the weapon for this crime, however you can't blame the weapon for a crime committed by a bad person. Is alcohol to blame for drunk driving? Not in my eyes. Bad things will always happen because it is the PERSON that is bad or out to do no good. There was crime and evil thousands of years ago before a firearm was even invented. I can rant all day haha

Please speak respectifully of this issue

3 of my co-workers have been directly affected by the either the loss of family (wife and son) or friends.

This is a tragedy that may have been prevented if the warning signs had been noticed and the individual had gotten help after his return from overseas duty.:mad:

Shooter was on foot when he shot and killed the four people who were on the porch. It is still unclear to me as to what type of firearm was used in the slayings. Apparently the rampage may have been sparked by recent layoffs at the plant where the gunman worked. It is unclear if he was one of the employees who was laid off.

Deputy Speaks About Shooting

Deputy speaks about shooting

Deputy speaks about
shooting
Last Edited: Wednesday, 11 Mar 2009, 9:18 AM CDT
Created On: Wednesday, 11 Mar 2009, 8:28 AM CDT

- A sheriff's deputy who lost his wife and one of his children Tuesday during a deadly shooting rampage in south Alabama said he doesn't understand why all of this happened.

Geneva County Sherrif's Deputy Josh Myers spoke to reporters Wednesday morning about the shooting death of his wife, Andrea Myers, 31, and his 18-month-old daughter, Corrine Gracie. His three-month-old daughter was also wounded.

"I cried so much yesterday, I don't have a tear left in me," Myers said.

Myers was on duty when he and other deputies were alerted of a gunman on the loose in Samson. On the way to the scene, a friend called him to tell him that his wife and child were among the victims.

"I got a call to come home, and when I arrived, I found my wife and daughter."

Myers said his three-month-old daughter was transported to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, Fla., with either a gunshot wound or shrapnel in one of her legs. Myers said she is supposed to have surgery today.

"Please keep my baby girl in your prayers. I've got a lot to take care of by myself now."

Myers said his wife, originally from Kansas, had lived here in Samson for about a year. She and the children were visiting neighbors when the gunman arrived and opened fire.

"She was a super mom, and my baby girl, she was the sweetest thing in the world."

Myers said he had never heard of or met the gunman, Michael McClendon, but knew the gunman was related to some of the neighbors.

Myers asked everyone to continue to keep him and his family in their prayers.

"I'll never in my life be able to fully understand it. I'll just have to take it one day at a time."

3 of my co-workers have been directly affected by the either the loss of family (wife and son) or friends.

This is a tragedy that may have been prevented if the warning signs had been noticed and the individual had gotten help after his return from overseas duty.:mad:

I'm very sorry to hear that Festus! let them know they'll be in my thoughts and prayers. This is a tragedy.

To bad he couldn't have gotten help before hand and to bad someone couldn't have ended it sooner! Be safe out there guys and girls. This is happening way to much.

Apparent police news conference reveals the weapon was a Bushmaster AR-15. The vest that saved the officers life must have had ceramic or steel rifle plate inserts...

Festus, my condolences brother....

Death toll rises to 12

Death toll rises to 12
Last Edited: Wednesday, 11 Mar 2009, 9:48 AM CDT
Created On: Wednesday, 11 Mar 2009, 9:47 AM CDT

- The death toll in Tuesday's deadly shooting spree in south Alabama rose to 12 Wednesday as police searched for clues into the deadly shooting rampage that stretched across two counties.

Michael McLendon killed himself Tuesday afternoon, ending what police described as a shocking shooting rampage that claimed the lives of 11 other victims, some of which were random targets.

The 11th victim was revealed Wednesday morning. According to WSFA-TV in Montgomery , McClendon's girlfriend was found dead inside the home of the shooter's mother, who died Tuesday after police said McClendon set the house on fire.

Coffee County coroner Robert Preachers told WSFA-TV officials had not been able to enter the house yet to determine if McClendon's mother was shot.

Others citizens and law enforcment officers were wounded as McClendon drove though town firing shots at anyone in his path.

The man's shooting spree covered two counties and targeted people in the town of Kinston and the cities of Samson and Geneva in extreme southeast Alabama.

Victim identities and a motive remained unknown. Preachers confirmed that several other victims of the gunman were related to him including McLendon's grandparents, an aunt and an uncle. Investigators told WSFA-TV the victims ranged in age from 18 months to 74-years-old.

Col. Chris Murphy, director of the Alabama Department of Public Safety, held an evening news conference at the Alabama State Troopers post in Montgomery to provide details. Murphy called the day's events "one of the worst tragedies in recent memory."

Murphy said Governor Bob Riley was briefed on the situation, and he spoke with area mayors a short time later. Riley promised state resources to help those local municipalities deal with the aftermath.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Alabama Bureau of Investigation, the Alabama Emergency Management Agency and many other agencies continue to work multiple crime scenes.

Murphy told media outlets that four adults and one child were found dead inside of one house, and one body was found at each of two other houses in the Samson area.

Investigators said McLendon drove down Highway 52 where he fired at least seven times on a state trooper vehicle. The trooper was wounded by broken glass.

He then drove to the Samson Pipe and Supply Company on Highway 52 where he gunned down another victim. Afterwards, he took aim at an innocent civilian at a local service station in the same area. That victim also died of their wounds.

Geneva police then began a pursuit of the suspect's vehicle, chasing McLendon to the Reliable Metal Products company in Geneva. Officials later confirmed he had been a former employee of the company, but the reasons for his leaving the company were not immediately know.

On there, officials said the man fired at least a 30 round burst of ammunition at the city police chief before running inside the business. The police chief was grazed by gunfire but was wearing a bullet-proof vest.

A short time later investigators said they heard shots inside the building, and when they entered the business they found the man dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Anyone who was in the area at the time with helpful information is asked to call the Dothan trooper post at 334-983-4587.

Last edited:

Festus, I know from your profile in the corner of your posts that you may be close to this. Our prayers are with you and the rest of the families affected by this. If you need anything PM me and let me know.

Rich

I'm very sorry to hear that Festus! let them know they'll be in my thoughts and prayers. This is a tragedy.

To bad he couldn't have gotten help before hand and to bad someone couldn't have ended it sooner! Be safe out there guys and girls. This is happening way to much.

+1 for me also. I will pray and if there is anything/one in particular I need to pray for if you would like to share let me know. I have a circle of friends that I am in e-mail contact with that we share prayer requests.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back