At Home Training

stngray713

Hey folks, my girlfriend loves to go shooting with me and she also enjoys training classes. I have no problem convincing her to go to either and most times she pushes me to go. After trying many different weapons we found and purchased the one she fell in love with (Ruger Sr9c). The problem I have is getting her to do the free practice such as drawing and reloading. She has her CCL and I have gotten her to carry while walking the dog in the yard so having a good draw is necessary. I have tried to get her to practice drawing but she always has "reasons" she can't do it. I try to tell her she can practice while watching TV but no luck. I do not want to be overwhelming in getting her to practice but it is very important. So how can I gently nudge her while still making it fun and not coming off as a jerk? any help or advice is much appreciated.

Try the coin trick first...you know...balancing a coin in the middle or somewhere on top of the gun. Have a contest with her. That will involve participation and it will not be boring for her. I used to get bored practicing in my basement, but one day hubby decided we are going to have a "family" contest: balancing a penny on top of the gun. I wasn't familiar with my gun at the time but when I was alone in my den I will practice so I can beat them. Then when we go to the range we will have a contest on who can hit the centre of the bulleyes. So to beat them, I will practice in the basement with either my 22 or the pellet gun (I do not know what it's called but I bought it at Walmart so I can beat them.) Have I beaten them yet? Hell yes! many times...you see men in my family are arrogant and so up in their heads that they thought women are easy to beat at games so when I finally did, they shut up and now they have to put up with me whenever I beat them to their game.

Anyway, I can only ask you to be patient. At least she carries -- for now. And she is not against guns.

Tuckers mom has a great idea there.

I'd like to say also that you are indeed a lucky man though as far as having a GF that is not anti-gun, who carries and goes to training. I'm no expert, but if you really care about her I hope you let her know that every day! Not being nosy or all "Dr Philly" on ya, but the good ones are hard to find. :)

I did see online btw, a snap cap of sorts that puts a momentary laser spot on target when trigger breaks. Marks where your shot woulda went. This would be a great occasional addition to dry practice.

Good luck to the both of you!

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I still had the old NES and duck hunt it's probably the best game ever. I am indeed a lucky man and she's a great woman. It's funny when she first started shooting with me she started with a .22 and very quickly gave up because it was boring and had no recoil. So not only does she shoot but she loves the recoil just like myself, so we got her a 9mm and she really likes my .45.

Tucker's Mom:233771 said:
Try the coin trick first...you know...balancing a coin in the middle or somewhere on top of the gun. Have a contest with her. That will involve participation and it will not be boring for her. I used to get bored practicing in my basement, but one day hubby decided we are going to have a "family" contest: balancing a penny on top of the gun. I wasn't familiar with my gun at the time but when I was alone in my den I will practice so I can beat them. Then when we go to the range we will have a contest on who can hit the centre of the bulleyes. So to beat them, I will practice in the basement with either my 22 or the pellet gun (I do not know what it's called but I bought it at Walmart so I can beat them.) Have I beaten them yet? Hell yes! many times...you see men in my family are arrogant and so up in their heads that they thought women are easy to beat at games so when I finally did, they shut up and now they have to put up with me whenever I beat them to their game.

Anyway, I can only ask you to be patient. At least she carries -- for now. And she is not against guns.
I Can you please the purpose of the balancing the coin on the gun. Sounds interesting.

Well, it helps with sighting of target for one and helps with reflex. And oh, patience until you achieve your goal.

Would the coin balancing atop the slide also be useful for proper trigger pull? What I mean is by pulling the trigger straight back rather than pulling the gun left or right and toppling the coin... Would that be the point of the coin thing?

Would the coin balancing atop the slide also be useful for proper trigger pull? What I mean is by pulling the trigger straight back rather than pulling the gun left or right and toppling the coin... Would that be the point of the coin thing?
And that too. Thanks tuts40...we have not done coin balancing for a good while now. We are more into speed draw and speed plinking...maybe it is time to go back to basics. <g>

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back