Armed self defense against dogs

bosstornado

First off, let me begin by stating I love pooches (and cats) and wouldn't want to hurt one in a million years. I do however, value my own life and limb over that of an animal any day.

I live in Texas, and as far as I know there is no specific law justifying the use of force against a domestic animal. The only sections applicable are 42.092(d) which relates to "dangerous wild animals" only and (e) which only applies if the animal is injuring livestock or damaging crops. The only section I see that could be relevant is Sec. 9.22:

Sec. 9.22. NECESSITY. Conduct is justified if:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the conduct is immediately necessary to avoid imminent harm;

(2) the desirability and urgency of avoiding the harm clearly outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the law proscribing the conduct; and

(3) a legislative purpose to exclude the justification claimed for the conduct does not otherwise plainly appear.

My question is, what exactly would constitute enough evidence to surmise that a dog was imminently going to cause serious injury? My concern has to do with dogs roaming at large (i.e, not restrained), would the mere fact that said dog approached an individual cause enough to deploy gunfire at the animal? I am aware that canine aggression typically manifests as barking, snarling, bearing teeth, etc. I am also aware of cases where unrestrained dogs approach a victim at a walking pace and then without warning begin an attack.

My answer to dogs - UDAP pepper spray. I love dogs but not enough to allow one to bite me. That is why I carry a backup. The spray is the same stuff I use in Alaska for brown bears. Just not as large of a canister. I used to have troubles with a dog but after a shot of spray he stays in his yard and hides behind a hedge when I walk by. I am under doctors orders to walk a couple miles a day and the dog was "interfering " with my routine. I see no need to shoot a dog because his owner is an idiot.

Unless you are willing to be as aggressive as the dog is during an attack, you will be in trouble. There are methods of dealing with vicious dogs if you are willing to really get bloody, but standing your ground and showing no fear and actually showing aggression yourself will usually back up any dog who is not really committed to the fight.
~
That said, if a dog is fully committed and makes contact it is time to drop the dog, but only from point blank range. Don't get me wrong I love dogs and I will respect their territory, but there is a limit to what can be tolerated. This applies as well to **** sapiens as well.

My answer to dogs - UDAP pepper spray. I love dogs but not enough to allow one to bite me. That is why I carry a backup. The spray is the same stuff I use in Alaska for brown bears. Just not as large of a canister. I used to have troubles with a dog but after a shot of spray he stays in his yard and hides behind a hedge when I walk by. I am under doctors orders to walk a couple miles a day and the dog was "interfering " with my routine. I see no need to shoot a dog because his owner is an idiot.

Very reasonable. Can't argue with that!:pleasantry:

That reminds me. Springtime, amazing large population of Black Bears that due to abundant food sources are often heavier then some Brown Bears. Spring=cubs+ protective new Moms. Yep I should finally get some spray. Thanks

The politically-correct terrorists have won. Now we have to say gaysapiens! LOL

I was just thinking that!

Pepper spray of whatever sort would probably work just fine with their super sensitive noses (though I'd err on the side of too strong, like the bear spray advocates already have!). Love dogs (like them much better than most people!), but a dog that's going to attack a person probably doesn't have a happy life to begin with. There was a tiny terrier of uncertain lineage who hadn't been treated well, and he was old and senile to boot. Bit a bunch of people, including my nephews. Then he about took my husband's mouth off for moving half an inch. Poor dog got a bullet in the head that night... Couldn't take any chances, though, my kid was only two or three at the time and loved the doggies! Not sure why he hadn't been put down before.

Would the mere fact that said dog approached an individual cause enough to deploy gunfire at the animal?
You're kidding right? You think a roaming dog approaching an individual is grounds to discharge your weapon in public? Most of the problem is the fear inherent in humans. Most dogs, even those who appear vicious won't cause a problem. So we can't shoot every dog that approaches. Even a snarl isn't grounds.
I've owned and worked K9 GS dogs over the years as a hobby. Took bites from all kinds of dogs in training. Defensive posture in dogs takes several forms. An alert dog warns that someone is approaching. He barks and makes a general racket. A threat dog will put up a good show. He snarls, growls and postures. Very normal animal behavior. Then there's the fear biter. He's unsure of himself and is a little quirky so he bites... usually when you turn your back. Finally there's the man stopper. Trained to hit and release on command or when the owner is attacked or the home is breached. Often the man stopper makes no sound at all. It's a game to him. He has ad a long education of getting a reward when he makes an appropriate bite and no reward when he doesn't do everything right. He's eager to please and get his praise. And he's usually not left roaming loose by his owners. Lastly there's the nutty dog. He's going after anyone around. There's no hesitation in him, he makes a B-line right for you with bad intent.
Identifying what your dealing with is important. Rarely is the motive more than territory or fear. And heavy-hitting man-stoppers rarely indiscriminately bite. I had the meanest looking pit bull your ever saw. Big, big jawline, head and muscular brindle. Intimidating. Hair raising to some. Until you approached. Then this big pooch became the most lovable dog to every child and stranger. Looks can be very deceiving.

Don't really think HO-zoes are correct but like it as well.
-
As for the OP, put-em down. I walk my Sheppard in the neighbor hood whilst ALWAYS carrying. Not just for the two legged BG's but possibly the four legged. woman was killed a few miles away by "friendly, caring pit bulls" She actually had been feeding them since they were pups.
-
I ain't getting chewed on by NO legged animal.

Better yet is bear spray. Stops a bear and will stop any dog. Has distance and has more volume. There is a question about volume, as written in many laws but personally I would rather spray than shoot and know that it will do the job. Now you do not have to worry about what is imminent threat and cause to shoot.

Hey everyone! New to the forum! Glad to find this place.

I must live in a messed up state because in North Carolina, we have a One Bite Law. It states that a dog is allowed to bite once without provocation. I had an incident that happened to me a week ago or so and I went out for a nightly walk and stopped at my mailbox to check and see what I had. I turned around and saw two boxer/Pit mix dogs running at me and barking and being aggressive. I had no weapon on me or anything, so I backed away slowly and yelled and they took off. A minute later they came back with a vengeance. When I mean vengeance, I mean out for blood. I slowly turned and walked away and one of them tried to seize my leg and since I'm a big guy and I actually dragged the dog with me, him chewing my leg the whole time, and I found a five gallon bucket with some dried roofing tar in it and I started swinging and since I'm big he couldn't get the grip he wanted, so he let go and ran home along with his buddy. Needless to say, a 2 hour visit to the ER, Tetanus shot, and a $1700 bill strengthened my resolve. By the way, the owner may not even pay. Can't even file a lawsuit. He's responsible, but small claims court is a joke here. In the end, it wouldn't be worth it.

Moral of the story: I bought a Smith and Wesson Model 637 Airweight and I will carry it with me....ALWAYS. I'm making it my CCW. I had a permit for a year or so, never used it until now. I guess the only question remains when to shoot the dogs if I see them again. He lets them run free then blames them for getting out while he's passed out drunk. If they charge at me again and I'm carrying then poochies' going night night. I'm also kinda freaked out though he threatened my neighbor that if he ever shot his dogs then he's going to be killed. What to do? Stay and get attacked or shoot and be killed....

**Just a side note, I'm not in agreement with the people who say not to shoot a dog simply out of fear. Why else would you shoot them? Happiness or joy? I did nothing to these dogs ever and both them came at me and actually were so close I felt their breath on my shins. They're junkyard dogs plain and simple. I asked the cop who filed the report and he said I have the right to defend myself against a dog attack, but also said I can be sued, so it's a grey area. Gotta love the USA, land of the free and home of the grey. It's the only country where you have a good enough lawyer, then you can actually punish a victim. Not just in self-defense but in other crimes as well.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back