Armed self defense against dogs

I love the dog owners who always say "my dog doesn't bite" I always respond with what are those teeth for?... people kill me with their predictions of what dogs are going to do. (Or any animal)...

It's the only country where you have a good enough lawyer, then you can actually punish a victim. Not just in self-defense but in other crimes as well.

America is not unique in that sense. In some of the Middle Eastern countries a well connected person's testimony is all that is required for a conviction, usually carrying a life sentence. Their justice systems place more weight on testimony than physical evidence.

Okay here are my nightmare . Fido has run amok and is in a pack. Victim seems to be badly hurt as well as those that helped injured as well. Those that are not Seattle Savvy. The neighborhood I carry a bug as well... Always. What would you do ?

1. How do you evaluate ? Bystanders a concern ( of course )
2. What tool do you use ?
Shoot right away
OC
stick
Or ?

A real nightmare ...
Link Removed

You carry bear spray--it is very potent and good to a healthy distance more so than pepper, or even a firearm unless you are that good at aiming at a charging crazy animal who is all over the place and people are in the vicinity. Batons, knives etal strike me as being better than nothing but again when there is a charging wild dog all over the place and at you, will you really be able to disable as you possibly lay there with your arm in his teeth or at a distance on your leg? After all is said and done, just remember that you may now own this guy's house if you have been injured severely.

Trained and owned K9's for years. Gimmie a break guys. Other than a trained dog, most are chased-off with rocks and sticks. I've run 6 miles a day for most of my life. Plenty of nasty dogs. Never met anything that could really fight. Not even the big, mean-looking dog. Multiple dogs however can be a problem. The pack mentality can be dangerous. Sometimes.
Some years ago we lived in a small village and had a little schnauzer. He had a habit of sneaking out when the door wasn't closed tightly. One morning I opened the local newspaper and saw a photo of a mailman and four dogs hanging with him on his route. A closer look revealed the little guy was my schnauzer. The caption read "Dogs Help Deliver Mail."

I was just thinking about this today.

This morning: I was in the front yard with my kids- garage door open. A black collie looking dog ran up barking CRAZY- and I am NOT the type of person who is afraid of dogs. I adore them- and think a bad dog is usually one that has been physically abused by its owner. Plus my family has always had dogs. It happened so fast- all I could do was stand in front of my kids- and the only thing I could think of was if it lunged- best I could do was punch it in the nose (If I didn't miss). As fast as it ran at us- it came within 5 feet and then just veered sharply and ran up to my neighbor's house- where it barked into the window where another dog was barking. The dog had a collar with a tag.

Even if I had my gun on me- I couldn't have grabbed it quick enough- with how fast that thing ran up- (and ran off).

And the decision making process- can't be made fast enough to determine- if it was a aggressive but harmless dog that wouldn't have touched us at all- vs. a biter. Mace certainly makes sense. But again- I can't reiterate how quickly this happened. It was probably over in 3 seconds.

The politically-correct terrorists have won. Now we have to say gaysapiens! LOL

Remember the Christmas carol, "Deck The Halls"? The lyrics, "Don we now our gay apparel", will require changing because too many today think it means leather shorts and lipstick.

My answer to dogs - UDAP pepper spray. I love dogs but not enough to allow one to bite me. That is why I carry a backup. The spray is the same stuff I use in Alaska for brown bears. Just not as large of a canister. I used to have troubles with a dog but after a shot of spray he stays in his yard and hides behind a hedge when I walk by. I am under doctors orders to walk a couple miles a day and the dog was "interfering " with my routine. I see no need to shoot a dog because his owner is an idiot.

I agree and I have bear spray--why fuss around with little lipstick cases when, if needed, you can avail yourself of the most potent and absolute defense when it comes to spray--annoying to the point of disabling and long distance use--that is what you need not only for four legged dogs but for two legged dogs, as well. Good enough for a bear, surely good enough for a dog. As far a firearms are concerned--good chance, unless you are really good at it, that in the scramble over a charging and rampaging dog or dogs and the ensuing tussle, any shot you fire may not hit its target and that means there is a good chance it will hit someone else, including the owner of the other dog or an onlooker. Spray works at a distance--firearms just kill.

Dogs,

The fear of being bit or eaten alive is the fear that dogs have over some people. If one gets a hold of you and you keep your wits, choking them is not hard, nor is it to kill them with a blade or a bullet.

The idea that a K9 is some great tool is a myth of the highest order. They do fill a role, they do great work. But the level of effectiveness (high or low) is in the fear of the victim. Ever seen a K9 cop get jacked by a dog that not his? I have not, they know the limits of the animal and have enough experience that the fear level is lower.

Dogs,

The fear of being bit or eaten alive is the fear that dogs have over some people. If one gets a hold of you and you keep your wits, choking them is not hard, nor is it to kill them with a blade or a bullet.

The idea that a K9 is some great tool is a myth of the highest order. They do fill a role, they do great work. But the level of effectiveness (high or low) is in the fear of the victim. Ever seen a K9 cop get jacked by a dog that not his? I have not, they know the limits of the animal and have enough experience that the fear level is lower.
Yeah, I've seen a police k9 pop another cop during a melee in a diner parking lot. It happens. The dog went back to beef-up his training.
A dog is a great deterrent when burglars come around. A simple bark may alert the resident. A common thief moves-on. But a person who intends to kill you will simply kill the dog. The purpose of the dog is to buy you enough time to get locked-in a safe room and arm yourself.

I still have 2 slight scars on my right forearm from when a German Shepard rushed me and jumped back when I was in my 20's. It was a neighbors dog that was constantly getting out of the yard due to carelessness by it's owner, and a gate that didn't lock correctly. I was changing my oil in my driveway, and had just gotten up when the dog came running up my driveway, headed straight for me. It jumped up and lunged at me. I put my right forearm up, well in front of my face and the dog bit down hard on it. It was an unneutered male, and I kicked him in the nuts as hard as I possibly could as I fell backward. It hurt more hitting the ground back first, than it did from his bite. At least at first.

The dog let out a loud yelp and whimpered away. 2 neighbors across the street saw the dog get out, and came running over. The one had his wife call the police, who were there in just a few minutes. To make a rather long story short, the owners were cited and the dog was returned to them. (Actually they had it back in the yard by the time the police arrived). I saw no sense in pressing charges, but the police warned them if the dog got out again unsupervised, it would most likely be taken from them and euthanized. This was in the late 70's. I don't know what the laws are today. I would imagine they are more restrictive. There was never another incident with the dog again that I know of. I do know the owner put another gate on the fence that was more secure a few days later.

This was in the late 70's. I don't know what the laws are today. I would imagine they are more restrictive.
70's? Hell you could have smacked your wife and the cop would have asked her what she did to get smacked. :biggrin: I remember a news story many years ago where a dog got out and charged a guy, who had a heart attack right on the spot. He lived. But he must have been scared crapless.
This is my last K9 doing a little work. The agitator was testing the dog to ensure the bite wouldn't occur unless s bodily threat was present. So the dog sat next to me while the agitator screamed in my face, acted angry and animated. Then in mid rant he smacked me lightly. This was the response. He wasn't fast enough. He got 4 stitches in his ass. My wife took the photo near our home. Caught it just right. The dog was K9 trained and 95 pounds of pure hell. This dog would not chase or threaten anyone unless commanded or while defending an attack.
Even a dog like mine could only buy my family a short amount of time if an intruder wanted to harm someone. The point of the dog is a first line of defense. Just long enough to get armed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back