Are your teenagers completely defenseless at school?

NavyLCDR

I am in Washington State, and I don't know if other states have such provisions in their laws. My 18 year old daughter carries pepper spray, including to high school (she is a senior due to her birthday). One of her teachers told her she couldn't carry pepper spray at school. The teacher was wrong, and I provided my daughter with the citation that the teacher was wrong.

https://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/Weapons/default.aspx

Protective Spray Devices
Under RCW 9.91.160, students age 14 years and older may legally possess personal protective spray devices (such as Mace and pepper spray) if that student has parent permission. Schools or other units of government may not prohibit the possession of personal protection spray devices, if the student is at least 14 years of age with parent permission, or of any person age 18 or older.

If your teenager doesn't have pepper spray or Mace at school..... why not?

I am in Washington State, and I don't know if other states have such provisions in their laws. My 18 year old daughter carries pepper spray, including to high school (she is a senior due to her birthday). One of her teachers told her she couldn't carry pepper spray at school. The teacher was wrong, and I provided my daughter with the citation that the teacher was wrong.

https://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/Weapons/default.aspx

Protective Spray Devices
Under RCW 9.91.160, students age 14 years and older may legally possess personal protective spray devices (such as Mace and pepper spray) if that student has parent permission. Schools or other units of government may not prohibit the possession of personal protection spray devices, if the student is at least 14 years of age with parent permission, or of any person age 18 or older.

If your teenager doesn't have pepper spray or Mace at school..... why not?

Navy since you seem to have a nack for looking up this stuff, could you do me a favor? look to see if in TN my granddaughter can carry pepper spray in school? and she is 18 and a senior, and shoots better than most of us here on the forum

Navy since you seem to have a nack for looking up this stuff, could you do me a favor? look to see if in TN my granddaughter can carry pepper spray in school? and she is 18 and a senior, and shoots better than most of us here on the forum

I searched fairly hard and long and can't find anything in Tennessee Code, Administrative Rules or State Department of Education website that says personal protective spray is illegal in schools in Tennessee. However, I also could not find a specific exception like we have in Washington. There are several student handbooks from high schools in Tennessee that I looked at that stated mace and chemical sprays were illegal but they did not have any reference to them. So, it sounds like because there is an absence of a law that prevents school administrators from banning them, some school administrators have taken it upon themselves to ban them.

I carried a box-cutter in my back pocket throughout high school in the early-mid 70's. My high school was 71% minority.

If I'm not mistaken, local jurisdictions cover OC laws in TN. (It's been awhile since I've lived there though.)

Fortunately, my kids are still home schooled. But, they may start attending public HS next year. They've been in martial arts now for over a year and are currently "High Blue" belts in TKD. I'm also teaching them how to use such hings as pencils & pens as weapons. They don't like having to carry OC spray. But, I make them do that as well when we go out in public. Even though they can't carry them to school, they are also learning how to use knives & monkey fists type weapons for SD.

-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back