Are we required to let LEO know if we are carrying concealed?

The police have instant access to your police file in the computer in their crusier, whether or not you mention that you have a license or not they will know when they enter your data. The cabby, or the girl making your coffee at dunkin donuts, or the clerk selling you shoes do not have that ability do they? There are different kinds of courtesy, I would hold a door open for someone following me, that is a courtesy, I would pick up and return an item that someone happened to drop, that is a courtesy, I extend all kinds of courtesy to people. You suggest that because your in possession of a concealed weapon, those that would not, could not know of it otherwise should be told, is that really what you do? And your trying to equate that and only that to courtesy? (You claim to show your LTC to the cop out of courtesy) you said that, I never did. The one time I was pulled over I did not, as I stated very plainly in my last comment. Maybe you have had alot more interaction/experiance with police and traffic stops? I will give you the final word NavyLCDR, as it is quite obvious you only see what you want to see, and have a need to dominate/twist this topic from what it originally started out as, a mere 'suggestion'.

The police have instant access to your police file in the computer in their crusier, whether or not you mention that you have a license or not they will know when they enter your data.

You state that like it is fact. It is simply not the case everywhere. Not every state has that information available to police when they run your name from the car.

You state that like it is fact. It is simply not the case everywhere. Not every state has that information available to police when they run your name from the car.

+1

I have been stopped and never once had a police officer ask me if I had a weapon in the car, if I was carrying, etc. If they had access to that information for every stop, I think we would be removed from our vehicles each time we were pulled over or at least asked about it.

Goes back to the old saying "what mama don't know...don't hurt her"...its not going to hurt the police officer or myself, secured on my person

Just my $.02

-Capo

The police have instant access to your police file in the computer in their crusier, whether or not you mention that you have a license or not they will know when they enter your data.

Nope. I have a Washington CPL and a Wyoming driver's license. The Wyoming DOT does not communicate with the Washington DOL to determine CPL status. In many states the county is the issuing authority and maintains sole records of CCW permits. In those states the county where the CCW permit was issued must be contacted to obtain CCW information and an automatic return of CCW status does not occur on a driver's license check.

The cabby, or the girl making your coffee at dunkin donuts, or the clerk selling you shoes do not have that ability do they? There are different kinds of courtesy, I would hold a door open for someone following me, that is a courtesy, I would pick up and return an item that someone happened to drop, that is a courtesy, I extend all kinds of courtesy to people. You suggest that because your in possession of a concealed weapon, those that would not, could not know of it otherwise should be told, is that really what you do?

I open carry, so that's a moot point.

And your trying to equate that and only that to courtesy? (You claim to show your LTC to the cop out of courtesy) you said that, I never did. The one time I was pulled over I did not, as I stated very plainly in my last comment.

Really?!? Let's see what you posted, shall we:
I sugguest as a courtesy, that you include your LTC with your drivers license and registration, as you hand it over tell him your showing him your LTC also, this should lower his stress level as he will know instantly that your not a 'bad guy', they are not issued a LTC.

So, who was it, now, who equated showing LTC to courtesy? It wasn't I, was it! Then, even though you suggest that others show there LTC, as a courtesy, you apparently don't even follow the advice that you give to others!

The one time I was pulled over I did not, as I stated very plainly in my last comment.

So, what's up with that? If your advice is so good for others, than why don't you do it?

Maybe you have had alot more interaction/experiance with police and traffic stops?

On the receiving end of traffic stops, yes, probably. I used to speed a lot, which I have since stopped doing. Never mentioned my CPL, never mentioned my gun, it was never an issue. 5 times I have stopped for speeding while armed. 3 of those 5 times I was let go with a warning and no ticket, including the one time the officer asked me to exit the vehicle so he could give me a warning in private instead of in front of my family - never mentioned a word or showed a bit of concern about the gun openly carried in a holster on my belt. There is tons of courtesy and respect you can show an officer without telling them about your LTC or gun.

I will give you the final word NavyLCDR, as it is quite obvious you only see what you want to see, and have a need to dominate/twist this topic from what it originally started out as, a mere 'suggestion'.

You can feel free to respond, especially since I would like to know how you never equated showing a LTC as courtesy, when that IS exactly what you posted. I would also like to know why you don't follow your own advice that you so willing "help out" others with.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back