Are there any Premitted Motorcyclist out there???

HootmonSccy

Are there any Permitted Motorcyclist out there???

I am a motorcyclist and will soon have my Conceal permit..
Any advice on carrying while on the bike?
Traveling through other states.. (You know we don't have "Consoles, glove compartment, and trunks")
I know how to look up laws in other states, but sometimes I'm a little confused as to how it applies to a motorcyclist.

When I travel any real distance I have a tank bag with me and saddlebags (Non-locking)
I intend to IWB most of the time, but is there any issue with this on the bike??

I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this..
Thanx

I've thought about this myself since one day either New Jersey will be admitted into the Union or I'm going to be moving. Either way I'm going to have to confront this.

I'm of a mind that in order to get good concealment and still have the security I want, I'd probably have to go with a shoulder holster for CCW while riding. Alternatively, a hip holster under a longer jacket or vest might work...I'd just have to experiment to make sure I didn't "offend". For just travelin' through, I'll prolly have to separate the ammo from the sidearm and keep them in different saddlebags. For your tank bag, you might consider a locking gunbox...or a fitted box...with a cable and lock around it.

If you come up with a better solution, I'd sure like to hear it!

Ride safe...

CCW Carry On MC

There are 150,000 GWRRA members who will take exception to your stupid remark about motorcycles not having trunks. They have a trunk, two saddle bags that lock, two front compartments, one of which locks and compartments for extra storage under the side speakers. ON second thought maybe you'd better leave your gun at home. I think we'd all be alot safer.

There are 150,000 GWRRA members who will take exception to your stupid remark about motorcycles not having trunks. They have a trunk, two saddle bags that lock, two front compartments, one of which locks and compartments for extra storage under the side speakers. ON second thought maybe you'd better leave your gun at home. I think we'd all be alot safer.

Maybe it is just me... But USUALLY my first contact with someone (especially on a forum) would not including calling their remarks "STUPID" :mad:

OK well if there are 150,000 GWRRA members there are at least 2,500,000 riders of something other than a GW..
So thanx for your help (NOT)
So thanx for your advice (NOT)

and by the way "alot" is two words!!! :wacko:

Uncalled for, Dude. He didn't say anything that should offend you and your post is excessive. Perhaps you should bag the Gold Wing in favor of a Harley . . . drain off some of that accumulating aggression. In the meantime maybe you should leave YOUR gun home.

Yo Bro, Why would you attack a fellow biker like that?? and a fellow carrier?? We are here on this board because we share something in common. Most of the time, more than one thing. That was kind of brutal huh? I don't have a trunk on my bike....and I have a VERY big bike. 1800 V twin to be exact. No locking bags either.. Need to chill dude. No need for the attitude. I'm new here too, but not new to forums. He's just looking for some advice.....

Last edited:
Coranado leather vests are a good way to go at least in cooler weather. By the way my motorcycle did not have a "locking trunk" either. I never rode out of state so did not have to worry about a state where I could not carry on me. I guess locking saddle bags might be in order in that case.

Uncalled for, Dude. He didn't say anything that should offend you and your post is excessive. Perhaps you should bag the Gold Wing in favor of a Harley . . . drain off some of that accumulating aggression. In the meantime maybe you should leave YOUR gun home.

I don't have a Harley, but that was great!!LOL:laugh:

'05 FLSTCI Heritage Classic

Not as fast as some, not as comfortable as some, but a Great Bike! Thinking there may be a Road Glide in my future one of these days, though, to address my aging bones. It'll serve me better when we eventually move to South Carolina, too.
Link Removed

For those with saddle bags that don't lock, I know that some are clasp-closed and some are zipper-closed.

I'm not sure about the clasp ones (don't have much experience), but some of the zipper ones could have a key or combo-lock added to them, either hooked into both slides (for the type that have two) or into a hook or loop likely found on the bag near the end of the zipper.

Carrying on a motorcycle is no different in most states than carrying in a car. Now for the states that you're traveling though that your state does not have reciprocity with and your bike does not have a locking tour pack or locking saddle bags and you are using a tank bag, you will need to have your gun or guns unloaded and in a box that’s designed to carry a pistol have a trigger lock on it, you then can place it in your tank bag. The ammo has to be in a different place, so you can place the ammo in your unlocked saddle bag.
For carry I like the IWB holster from Cross Breed, it's the most comfortable holster I have ever used bar none! If your shirt or jacket/vest comes to your belt while riding it will not be seen. I also use on occasion my Miami classic shoulder harness from Galco. If you have a compact pistol like a Glock 27 you can use an ankle glove that’s very comfortable, Galco makes this as well but it would be very difficult to get your weapon if you're straddling your bike, I use this only as my back up weapon.
Be safe out there live to ride, ride to live!

I have a Police B Jacket from San Diego Leather ( San Diego Leather Discounts 1000's of Biker, Bomber & Outerwear Leather Jackets) that I use. They make most of the jackets for the CHP & LAPD & come with a very roomy inside gun pocket. They custom made mine & I got a liner that you can remove for warmer weather. Also being made in the USA is a big plus for me.

Navy32man, How does that Crossbreed Work out on the bike ? Ive been thinking about getting one for the really hot days.

The Cross Breed holster works great when riding. You don't even know it's there. It's the most comfortable holster I have ever owned.

The best way I've found to carry on the bike is in a 5.11 holster shirt or a leather CCW vest from Roma Leather. The Coronado vests are really nice, but really spendy. The Roma vest goes for $90. Here's a link to the vest:

Link Removed

CCW while riding...

I know it's not CCW, but I use a RAM mount attachment on my bike. The reason I like this is it allows me to draw with either hand (potentially Very important whether riding or stopped: while riding, you can use your clutch hand and if stopped you can use your throttle hand.)

2008_04190003_s.jpg

2008_04190002_s.jpg

When I'm not riding, I have a Fobus paddle holster the XD goes in. Fits nicely under my 3/4 length jacket and doesn't show very much (unless you wear a short waist-coat, then IWB might be your best bet).

If you prefer a holster (or your state won't allow open carry), I'd suggest carrying weak-side cross-draw. This "should" allow the weapon to be drawn with either hand (for the above reasons).

John C.

My Experiences:

I am a motorcyclist and will soon have my Conceal permit..
Any advice on carrying while on the bike?
Traveling through other states.. (You know we don't have "Consoles, glove compartment, and trunks")
I know how to look up laws in other states, but sometimes I'm a little confused as to how it applies to a motorcyclist.

When I travel any real distance I have a tank bag with me and saddlebags (Non-locking)
I intend to IWB most of the time, but is there any issue with this on the bike??

I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this..
Thanx

From my own experience, I find, that since the list of States that recognize your States permit,
can change, both gains and losses... (1) Always review your list prior to travel...(2) Although you
might not think it necessary, for all the States, listed, that you will be going through, and your permit is
NOT recognized, call ahead to the State Police, tell them you're permitted, and let them know how you will be traveling... specifying the "Bike" ( be sure to get their name), and how to best comply with their laws...Ive found, that they are very cooperative..the reason being, it seems, that Cops are cops, and if your State thinks you are a good guy/girl, and issues a permit, they suspect that you, too, are at least reasonable... All that being said, they will tell you how to procede..that can be to include, locked in a box, etc....
I too ride, and have done so for about 51 years.... I have travel bags, and in particular, I have a pocket
behind my seat.. I keep mine there, in areas that wish your weapon NOT TO BE ON YOUR PERSON, and not to be in immediate reach.. and, so far, I've been successful...Most States have what's called a
"Peaceful Journey" and will allow a loaded weapon in your vehicle.. but do remember that with that, comes stipulations.. Like once you stop to go into a gas station or store, you are no longer considered passing through... (Yeah weird)
As to concealment, and security, a shoulder holster will seem like a good way to go, but bear in mind
weather.... Are you going to be able to skin down for a restaurant, or truck stop, and still be concealed....
If you aren't going to be traveling in the "Chilly", then you will want to be in a t-shirt....All the above
provides problems... So I choose to use a "Smart Carry Holster".. It provides deep concealment, and I Promise, I can get to mine, in a hurry.... NOW, though, it sounds like slapping leather against a weapon already in play... that aint' gonna fly.. When seated on Mr. Scooter, you will find it difficult to draw it, regardless of the ads... but after getting used to mine, I have switched to it, exclusively...
That being said, if you are shot at when riding, you are in deep shit anyway, and might indicate that you did
something to draw that attention...
Okay, I have one more thought for you...." I REFUSE TO VACATION ANYWHERE THAT DOES NOT
EVEN ALLOW, AT LEAST A "PEACEFUL JOURNEY" and I don't care who that pisses off in Illinois or Wisconsin..
There is my short story, and I hope it gives you food for thought.. "Smiley"

Carrying on a motorcycle is no different in most states than carrying in a car. Now for the states that you're traveling though that your state does not have reciprocity with and your bike does not have a locking tour pack or locking saddle bags and you are using a tank bag, you will need to have your gun or guns unloaded and in a box that’s designed to carry a pistol have a trigger lock on it, you then can place it in your tank bag. The ammo has to be in a different place, so you can place the ammo in your unlocked saddle bag.
For carry I like the IWB holster from Cross Breed, it's the most comfortable holster I have ever used bar none! If your shirt or jacket/vest comes to your belt while riding it will not be seen. I also use on occasion my Miami classic shoulder harness from Galco. If you have a compact pistol like a Glock 27 you can use an ankle glove that’s very comfortable, Galco makes this as well but it would be very difficult to get your weapon if you're straddling your bike, I use this only as my back up weapon.
Be safe out there live to ride, ride to live!

Okay, my experience is probably not important to some people... but even in the States, that have
no reciprocity with your State, a simple call ahead makes all the difference in the world..
And there are only a very few States that will require a locked box.. but if you have a tour bike, and
all the locking compartments in the world, then by all means...Lock them up and be safe..Another thing,
a running fire fight off a Scooter, is not safe, and potentially non-productive... :no:
I run a Cruiser, with no locking bags, and the seat pocket on the riders back has sufficed for me in almost
all the places I've chosen to go, that didn't recognize our permit...The State Police will give you the best thoughts on carrying in their respective States (be sure to get the Officers Name, that goes a long way in the eyes of the local constabulary, as well)..... I won't go to any of the States the do not recognize "any state permits, and I don't care who that pisses off in ILLINOIS OR WISCONSIN....:hang3:

Nothing I have said in this reply was, in any way intended to offend, it's just another point of view, and
with 51 years of bike travel, I've seen lots of things... Incidentally, I am a Retired Police Officer..

Ok to answer your question. I ride a motorcycle almost every day and carry concealed almost every time. What works for me is that I have a leather jacket with what is called a pistol pocket. Email me if you need a link or more explanation.

Basically it is a snap and zippered pocket on the left outside front of the jacket. It is very large and can carry almost anything. It is very convenient and is big enough that the pistol sits almost under your left arm.

I hope this helps bro. And join BAM as soon as you can. What is BAM yes it is free.

I ride a GoldWing Trike so I am fortunate in that I can lock the Trunk and the Cargo Area in the Trike. I separate the weapon and the ammo (gun in Trunk and ammo in Cargo)when going into a state that does not recognize GA Carry Permit. In GA I carry in a paddle holster in the open or under my jacket, depending on the weather. In your case, I would get 2 lockable bags that you can strap on the bike and put one of the items in each. Might seem cumbersome but could save you some jail time. Just MHO. :biggrin:

Bam

Ok to answer your question. I ride a motorcycle almost every day and carry concealed almost every time. What works for me is that I have a leather jacket with what is called a pistol pocket. Email me if you need a link or more explanation.

Basically it is a snap and zippered pocket on the left outside front of the jacket. It is very large and can carry almost anything. It is very convenient and is big enough that the pistol sits almost under your left arm.

I hope this helps bro. And join BAM as soon as you can. What is BAM yes it is free.

How long have you been a member of BAM and how many times have you been called to assist?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back