Are Streets Adjacent to Schools Part (Leagally) of the School for CC Law?

Bob Siefker

I love to bicycle and also have an Indiana personal protection permit.
If I carry a small handgun while bicycling in Indiana and ride past a school on a city street or county road, am I in violation of the law that prohibits me from bringing a firearm onto school property?

I love to bicycle and also have an Indiana personal protection permit.
If I carry a small handgun while bicycling in Indiana and ride past a school on a city street or county road, am I in violation of the law that prohibits me from bringing a firearm onto school property?

Since you have an Indiana permit:

In any state other than Indiana, if the handgun was not unloaded and in a locked case, you would violate Federal law by riding your bicycle on public property (which includes the street) within 1000 feet of school premises (unless you happened to have a firearms license/permit issued by the same state the school was located in). That is Federal law, 18 USC 922 (q)(2).

Indiana law (IC 35-47-9-2) only prohibits (with a few exceptions) possession of the firearm ON or IN school property including school busses. The public street outside the fenceline of the school is NOT ON or IN school property so possession of the loaded handgun is legal there.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back