Are IWB holsters comfortable?

Galco IWB for the Kimber or Colts 1911s. Anytime you have a 5" 1911 inside the belt, it won't be comfortable. But it is comforting.

Comfortable is a relative term when you are talking about IWB carry. Carrying something like a full sized handgun stuck in your waistband is gonna have some kind of drawbacks but it does increase your ability to conceal the gun without making it so hard to get it out that it is a waste of time and effort to carry it.

The holster itself is not the biggest comfort issue, it's your pants and, most importantly, your belt that decides how comfortable it is. If your pants are too tight, the whole gun is pressing into you constantly and you are ALWAYS aware of it. I've been there and done that back when tight jeans were the norm. Good news- you always know exactly where it is and it stays exactly where you put it. Bad news- it's digging into you so much that is can end up causing back pain from pinching nerves (been there and done that one, too, and it ain't nearly as fun as it sounds). This is an easy fix, just go up 1 waist size when you buy pants. That gives room for the gun and holster AND your pants aren't so big that they will fall off of you if you aren't carrying IWB that particular day.

Belts that you buy off the shelf at your local Wally World or Macy's ain't made or intended to carry any weight. They are intended to hold your pants up and/or look fashionable.

Throw a couple pounds of blued steel (or Tennifered steel and polymer, if you swing that way), a bunch of bullets and some leather or Kydex into the equation and that pretty fashion statement of a belt is gonna fail on you. (Note the word "gonna" -as in 'going to'- in the previous sentence. It's a question of when not if it will happen.) It is going to start rolling at the top edge and the holster is going to fall away from your torso above the belt line (bad, because you need the gun snug to your body for concealment and retention purposes) or it will start getting a droop in the area where your gun is carried because it is stretching at that point (bad because that puts the gun lower than intended- again, causing concealment issues).

If you are going to carry a gun, use a belt that is made to carry the weight.

I've been guilty of it in the past but I don't understand why I did it in retrospect. I'd go out and spend several hundreds of dollars on a handgun, feed it several hundreds of round of ammunition, pay top dollar for special self defense ammunition and then decide that my $600 pistol can ride around in a $20 holster that looks ratty in a month and never really worked the way I wanted it to and I relied on a cheapo belt to keep everything in place. If I'm gonna come out of pocket for all that, why the hell am I getting cheap when it comes time to get holsters and belts to carry it all around?

Lesson learned. NOW, I spend a little more (say $60) for a decent holster that is well made and designed and use a GOOD belt that's meant to carry the weight. Now the gun stays where I want it and my back doesn't hurt nearly as much.

With all due respect to those who say comfortable I say "to each his own". Common sense-wise I agree with Ed Hamberger--having a bunch of leather or other material and a fairly substantial piece of metal tucked against your skin may be your thing and all the more power to you. OWBs, where the belt goes over the paddle and keeps the holster tight to your waist does not print and keeps all the "stuff" off your skin/body. For smaller/lighter firearms, depending on your preference for pants/shorts, pocket holsters are another "away from the body/skin" method. Just sayin. Obviously there are many IWBers out there and they must like that method.

I use a fanny-pack. Have not tried an IWB yet but don't see how they can be all that comfortable...

With all due respect to those who say comfortable I say "to each his own". Common sense-wise I agree with Ed Hamberger--having a bunch of leather or other material and a fairly substantial piece of metal tucked against your skin may be your thing and all the more power to you. OWBs, where the belt goes over the paddle and keeps the holster tight to your waist does not print and keeps all the "stuff" off your skin/body. For smaller/lighter firearms, depending on your preference for pants/shorts, pocket holsters are another "away from the body/skin" method. Just sayin. Obviously there are many IWBers out there and they must like that method.
Kind of hard to conceal an OWB holster if all you have on is shorts and a t-shirt and carry a full-size gun. Some part of it or the holster is going to be against your skin.

Hey S&W: I agree if the tee shirt is a tight tee shirt. If it is loose fitting, the simply rugged silver dollar pancake having the belt over the front of the holster and pulling it into your body, is not printing, especially if the holster is located in your waist indentation that hides the big gun. I have one and use it for a J frame S&W 642 and as long as it is near that "waist indentation" it is really hugged in there. I do agree that if tee shirt is tight, you just cannot OWB. As I said previously--to each his own. Happy New Year, may you only write on this forum and never have the occasion to live your writings and God Bless

If you want to maintain comfort, here is an IWB alternative. These Humvee safari vests are nice. The nice thing about this vest is you can wear whatever clothing you want with an OWB holster and throw this vest on over top to conceal your firearm on your side. It is vented so it is comfortable in warmer weather. I have a khaki, olive, and black one to go with just about any attire.

Link Removed

Personally I think an IWB holster can be fairly comfortable. After a few minutes I get used to mine and forget its there for the most part. I haven’t found that mine limits me in any way.

My recommendations
- Buy a quality holster fitted for the make/model of your weapon, nothing generic. A custom holster will likely run a few dollars more but will most likely be more comfortable, higher quality, retain your weapon better and last much longer.
- Use a good quality belt, something strong enough to support and distribute the extra load.
- Get pants a size or two bigger to accommodate your holster.
- Wear a light t-shirt as an extra cushion between your skin and the holster to reduce any rubbing.

I would also recommend finding the internet forum for your brand of handgun. Many have a section dedicated to holsters and almost all have holster threads. Read thru and see what holster brand is most recommended for your model. A little research can save you a lot of time, effort and money.

For whatever it worth I use a UBG Striker (UBG Holsters) for my IWB and a Desantis Nemesis (Welcome to DeSantis Gunhide®. "We didn't invent concealment, we just perfected it." — Desantis Gunhide) for pocket, off body and in-car carry. I would strongly recommend both.

Don’t forget to check out the USA Carry thread on holster makers for many more options (Link Removed).

Let us know what you finally decide to do.

I have been carrying in a Nick Matthews #1 IWB for a little over a week now. After a few days of breaking in the leather I can honestly say I sometimes forget I'm wearing it. I carry a G26 in it so the gun is not a full size. I may give the Silver Dollar pancake OWB hoster a try though.

I use a blade tech IWB kydex holster with a 5.11 reinforced belt with a compact 1911. I have started wearing a set of perry suspenders under my shirt w/t-shirt and it really helps tremendously for those of us that are backside challenged. I would really like to have a leather holster to use as well. I am still thinking of changing my EDC to the ruger LCR or SP 101 anyway for the decrease in weight.

I carry a full size 1911A1 and a Glock 17 from the time I get dressed in the morning until I go to bed at night in Crossbreed holsters and find them quite comfortable 99% of the time.

Crossbreed Supertuck. end of story. I got one for my Glock 27 and my Ruger LCR .357. You will never worry about IWB comfort again.

I have tried many IWB holsters. The best setup I have is a Milt Sparks VMII holster and a Beltman belt.It is very comfortable with a Kimber Ultra CDP II in it at the 4:00 position. Just ordered a Ed Brown Kobra Carry and it will be in a Milt parks VMII on a Milt Sparks belt. Milt Sparks and Beltman belts are hard to beat.
:biggrin:

Crossbreed Supertucks here as well. Have one for Ruger P90, SP01, and Springfield XD40SC. Most comfortable holster I have ever owned. Admittedly, I don't have many other brands but sure do love the Crossbreeds.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back