Are armed guards needed in every school?

mappow

My LTR to the Editor for "possibly" posting in the local rag, the Winston Salem Journal, NC ( [email protected]) Please feel free to send them a LTR/comment of their question in the title of this thread. They do this every Sunday and ask people to email (pithy) comments and will print accordingly. Name and address required. Please flood then with a, dare I say, a plethora or comments. The show of support will and or should be astounding.

Are armed guards needed in every school?

I would say no, we do not need to burden an already stressed budget for schools and raise taxes to accommodate having multiple armed guards per school. What I would suggest is to allow certain staff members at all schools to carry concealed weapons. Allow selected staff members to act as a rapid response team to at least initiate interaction on the onset of an armed incursion while awaiting the police to respond. They would be trained and permitted to carry concealed weapons with additional training by local police departments. This would be less of a burden on tax payers, allow the staff to protect the students and not be a visual target as an armed guard would be at a school. I say again that these staff members would only be armed for the purpose of initial intervention. Had the principal at Sandy Hook or other staff members been armed, I do not think this outcome would have been so devastating.

Deputize all principals and admins. They work for the state already.

Not sure if every one of the staff are capable or of the mind set to be trained in defensive shooting using tactical response. Hence the vetting process which I did not include BUT will make the difference. I also would add that those that qualify should be paid a premium in additional salary to support there additional responsibility.I still think it would be cheaper than numerous security guards on site. Plus the biggest issue is that it would teach the staff that a firearm is within their right to have and that it's only a tool within their tool box of Life that should be taught to all. Reading, writing, and arithmetic and safe gun handling. Tools that will help you in your pursuit of happiness.

Personally I don't think that armed guards would be necessary if you just abolished gun free zones. If a community trusts a person to carry a concealed weapon in most places then why restrict the places? Just the fact that there might be someone, teacher, custodian, parent carrying in a school area would likely be a deterrent to "would be" active shooters.

We have had off duty police in our schools for years without any prolems. The voters approved a 1 cent local option sales tax that pays for this. They are there to assist the principle/teachers maintain control and safety. Seems to be working great. I think we put them there after Columbine.

Let's allow guns in schools for everyone that can legally carry one. Teachers are already paid to protect our children, whether it is from fire or fire power, they have a duty to act. We need to allow them to bring their guns to work. All other staff should be allowed to carry also. Training might be provided and any training should be counted as CE however obtained. Participation should be voluntary. Tort protection should be provided through legislation.

What the signs don't work? Maybe folks should look up the meaning of criminal. Everyone in this country should begin carrying everywhere under the 2nd Amendment.

Personally I don't think that armed guards would be necessary if you just abolished gun free zones. If a community trusts a person to carry a concealed weapon in most places then why restrict the places? Just the fact that there might be someone, teacher, custodian, parent carrying in a school area would likely be a deterrent to "would be" active shooters.

Yeah.

Unfortunately, Dems are going to go the other direction and find ways to STRENGTHEN the GFSZA, rather than abolish it. I fully expect them to try to eliminate the carry exemption that currently exists: if you receive your CPL from a state that requires criminal background checks as part of the CPL issuing process, you can carry on school property in accordance with the laws of that state. So where I live in Michigan, we can OC on the premises of a school if we have a CPL, but we can't CC. I expect them to try to do away with that exemption.

And I expect the fed to receive help in Michigan from our illustrious governor, who recently let his true colors as a closet Bloomie (Bloombergian? Bloomer? Whatever; he is of the anti-firearms cult of Bloomberg) show for all to see.

Link Removed

These steps are being taken in OHIO to protect our children.
~
This Will Drive Gun-Grabbers Crazy ... And Change Our Schools Forever

Ohio --(Ammoland.com)- It’s going to drive the gun-grabbers crazy. But it’s going to change our schools forever.
It all started at a Town Hall meeting at Ohio State University in December of last year.
The Sandy Hook elementary school slaughter had just rocked the nation. Anti-gun activists lead by Mayor Bloomberg began screaming for gun bans and dozens of new restrictions.
Ken Hanson, legal counsel for Buckeye Firearms Association, was invited to debate the issue at OSU. The debate was unremarkable … until Ken dropped a bombshell.
He said that debate was pointless. Every time there’s a school killing, the gun control crowd wants to have a debate, stage a march, give a speech, issue a press release, hold a vigil, or pass a law.
“We’re done debating,” Ken announced. “We know what stops school killers. It’s not talk. Killers stop killing when someone makes them stop.” Then he told the crowd Buckeye Firearms Foundation would start providing “active killer” training to armed teachers.
~
F.A.S.T.E.R. | Buckeye Firearms Foundation
~
In any violent encounter, the faster you realize the threat and stop it, the better. Time is especially important during school shootings. Faster response leads to fewer casulties. F.A.S.T.E.R. stands for Faculty/Administrator Safety Training and Emergency Response. Everyone agrees that safety training is important, but in active killer situation the "emergency response" must happen fast to save lives.
The class is a comprehensive 3-day training class at Tactical Defense Institute. All major expenses will be covered, including tuition, ammunition, and lodging (which are expected to total approximately $1,000 per teacher).
~
Q&A on the Armed Teacher Training Program Q&A on the Armed Teacher Training Program
~
Submitted by drieck on Wed, 01/09/2013 - 17:34.
Over 1,000 educators have applied for training!
On December 20, 2012, Buckeye Firearms Foundation announced the Armed Teacher Training Program.
The original intent was to simply offer free firearm training to 24 teachers in order to show that teachers could be an effective deterrent to mass murder in schools.
After three weeks, we have received well over 1,000 requests for this training. So while the goal is still the same, the scope of this program has changed significantly.
Parents, teachers, school boards, and the media have inundated us with questions about this program. So here are answers to some of the most common.

Do we need armed guards at schools?

No.

But we do need armed people in schools.

The following report was written by Brendan Keefe, WCPO in Ohio, re-published with his permission:

Friday, 21 November 2008 05:00 Written by Brendan Keefe

As published in Local News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | Cincinnati, Ohio | WCPO.com | WCPO-TV | 9 On Your Side

There have been so many school shootings over the last 40 years that researchers have been able to develop a profile of the typical mass murderer. They're called "active shooters" or "active killers" and their crimes play out in a matter of minutes.

After the Columbine High School massacre in 1999, police changed their tactics. The two student gunmen killed 15 people and themselves before the SWAT team was in position. Commanders realized that it simply takes too long to assemble a tactical team in time to stop an active killer.

The new tactics developed in response to Columbine involved creating an ad-hoc tactical team using the first four or five patrol officers on the scene. They would enter the shooting scene in a diamond formation with guns pointing in all directions. This technique was employed by police departments around the country.

Then 32 people were killed by a lone gunman at Virginia Tech in April 2007. Seung Hui Cho shot 47 people, 30 fatally, in the university's Norris Hall in just 11 minutes. That means every minute he killed more than three people and shot a total of four. Once again, the gunman continued shooting until a four-officer team made entry and then he killed himself. Law enforcement reviewed its tactics.

Based on the Virginia Tech data, experts determined the first officer on scene should make entry immediately with an aggressive attack on the shooter. Every minute the officer waits for back-up, another three or more people could die. In other words, while it was once considered suicide for a lone officer to take on an active killer, it is now considered statistical homicide for him not to do so.

Tactical Defense Institute in Adams County, Ohio developed one of the first "single officer response" programs in the nation. TDI was teaching the tactic even before Virginia Tech. Now the National School Resource Officer Organization (NSRO) is using TDI instructors to teach school resource officers how to confront a gunman immediately. Locally, all Blue Ash police officers are trained in these new tactics in large part because their chief, Col. Chris Wallace, is also a TDI instructor.

The other statistic that emerged from a study of active killers is that they almost exclusively seek out "gun free" zones for their attacks. In most states, concealed handguns are prohibited at schools and on college campuses even for those with permits. Many malls and workplaces also place signs at their entrances prohibiting firearms on the premises. Now tacticians believe the signs themselves may be an invitation to the active killers. The psychological profile of a mass murderer indicates he is looking to inflict the most casualties as quickly as possible.

Also, the data show most active killers have no intention of surviving the event. They may select schools and shopping malls because of the large number of defenseless victims and the virtual guarantee no on the scene one is armed. As soon as they're confronted by any armed resistance, the shooters typically turn the gun on themselves.

Of course, there are no surprises in this report; We have been making these arguments for years. When I spoke to Keefe to get his permission to reprint the article for use in testimony in the Michigan legislature, he told me that he initially had no real personal opinion or position on this issue; what he learned during his research shocked him and convinced him of the correctness of what we have been saying. I have carte blanche from him to reprint this report.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back