AR15 Bumping?

sambo42xa

USA Carry Supporter
Have you heard of "bumping" the AR15? It's a way you position your thumb and weapon which makes the AR shoot somewhat automatic. I'm sure you get the picture. IF I was to try this, would I be doing any damage to the rifle or would you say the damage (if any) would occur on an ongoing basis? Actually, I would like to try this (safely of course) but if it will damage the weapon, then forget it. Wondering if anyone here has tried it OR any thought about it.
thnx.

Forget trying to make an AR fire "somewhat automatic". If you need a high rate of fire from an AR, practice rapid fire drills. Rapid fire puts all rounds on target, auto fire puts most rounds everywhere else.

It will not damage the rifle and is legal, but it can easily put a dent in your pocket book. Beware of those who want to add rubber bands, shoestrings, or other odds and ends because ATF has determined that is manufacturing a class 3 weapon.
Link Removed

I thought external trigger modifications were OK by the BATFE. Did that change recently?

I have a lot of fun bumping my AK-47. doesn't damage the firearm... just costs a lot more for less time shooting:) I was watching extreme shooters on the history channel a few days ago and people were bump firing a semi auto pistol.. trying to figure that one out I'd love to try it.

As long as the firearm is not bumping against something that can damage the finish or get caught in the working parts, it's safe to do. Just make sure you can control it while bumping. If you're going to try this, do it with three or so rounds per magazine until you've mastered the technique.

Bumping is legal because it's not a single pull of the trigger. It's repeated pulls of the trigger using inertia. BATFE cannot call utilizing Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion making a class III/NFA/title II firearm as it doesn't meet the statutory definition of a machine gun; at least not yet. :tongue:

If you use any type of device to make a firearm go full or burst auto with a single pull of the trigger then it's making an NFA/class III/title II firearm.

The principle of recoil is based on Newton's third law. If that didn't exist, there would be no such thing as a most semi-auto firearms; John Moses Browning could have never created the 1911 among other things as they couldn't exist without this fundamental principle of physics.

AR-15 Bumping

I also watched the More Extreme Marksmen program on the History Channel, and saw the Champion revolver shooter make his 1911 fire like a machine gun. A friend of mine showed me how to do that years ago. The gentleman on the program had one of those fancy timers that picks up the report of the pistol, and showed he was firing the 1911 at 648 rounds per minute, You need to hold the weapon with both hands, with the off hand holding the weapon, and the thumb of the shooting hand through the trigger guard. It is simply a matter of rapidly moving the thumb back and forth in the trigger guard, and with abit of practice, one can make the 1911 sound like a Thompson, for eight rounds, anyway.

I see how to do it, I just don't understand how it'd work. I'd like to try the rubber band trick on my CX4, but I'm not quite sure how. Does your finger have to move with the trigger?

Pascal,
Finger stays stationary. Gun is pushed forward, pressing finger/thumb against trigger. Gun fires. Recoil drives gun back, releasing trigger. Since the shooter still pushing forward, the cycle repeats.

The BATFE FTB defines bump firing to mean: Rapid manual trigger manipulation to simulate automatic fire. The rubber band does not cause the gun to function in the manner show in my video, however it does make normal bump firing easier to accomplish. The only thing that has ever broke due to accessive "bump firing" on my AR15 was the hammer and trigger pins.

Several people have speculated that installing a rubber band on an AR15 is considered to be the same as installing a shoe string on a Mini-14. This couldn't be further from the truth. If you look at the picture of the shoestring method, the BATFE consider the key ring located behind the trigger guard a "trigger".

By pulling the key ring to the rear, the tension of the string constricts the guns trigger. After the gun fires, the string tension is released due to the bolt/charging handle moving rearward. The guns trigger is now able to reset. As long as the shooter keeps the tension on the key ring, the bolt/charging handle will move forward, chambering another round while taking up the slack of the string, thus constricting the guns trigger until the gun is fired again. This allows a mini 14 shoot more than one shot, by a single function of the "Key Ring" (trigger). This only works with firearms who's charging handles are attached to the bolts.

Unfortunately I have not done much public bump firing due to the current US President, and current price of ammo.

Last edited:
Bump fireing is simply a collosal waste of ones money on ammunition. The AR platform is not a weapon that full auto fire has ever proven to be successful, especially considering collateral dammage and depletion of perfectly good ammunition.

If you need to break contact then you want an M240 or M249 gunner laying down suppressive fire, not your M4/AR's. My opinion is that there are only really four types of fire with a carbine rifle.

1. Slow aimed fire.

2. Controlled pairs.

3. Double Taps.

4. Hammers.

Bump fireing has no tactical application in the real world of warfare. Civillians wasting their ammunition on such fire is just more fodder for something to lauph at. Would you ever "bump fire" your carbine in a self defesnse or offensive situation ?

:wacko:

Bump fireing is simply a collosal waste of ones money on ammunition. The AR platform is not a weapon that full auto fire has ever proven to be successful, especially considering collateral dammage and depletion of perfectly good ammunition.

If you need to break contact then you want an M240 or M249 gunner laying down suppressive fire, not your M4/AR's. My opinion is that there are only really four types of fire with a carbine rifle.

1. Slow aimed fire.

2. Controlled pairs.

3. Double Taps.

4. Hammers.

Bump fireing has no tactical application in the real world of warfare. Civillians wasting their ammunition on such fire is just more fodder for something to lauph at. Would you ever "bump fire" your carbine in a self defesnse or offensive situation ?

:wacko:
well said sir!!! if you want to fire full auto join the military!!!!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back