ar-15

grizlybear45

to all my fellow gunners, i have a question, if you please? i am getting ready to build an ar-15. i've been looking up parts and have found quite an assortment. i was wondering if someone would explain the differences between a1,a2,a3,a4,m4, and carbine. i want to build a flat top for personal use and would like to build one for matches which i understand can't be a flat top. any definitions and or advice would be greatly honored. thanks:unsure:

to all my fellow gunners, i have a question, if you please? i am getting ready to build an ar-15. i've been looking up parts and have found quite an assortment. i was wondering if someone would explain the differences between a1,a2,a3,a4,m4, and carbine. i want to build a flat top for personal use and would like to build one for matches which i understand can't be a flat top. any definitions and or advice would be greatly honored. thanks:unsure:

I'll admit I do not know everything but I'll try to help out the best I can. I had the same question before I built my first one. An AR gas system comes in carbine, Mid-length, and rifle. Each longer then the one before. From what I have read the longer the gas tube the softer the recoil, more reliable, and gives longer life.

The A1, A2, A3, and A4 all stand for configurations
-A1 Upper has the non removable carry handle and rear sight.
-A2 Upper also has the non removable carry handle but the rear sight has an added elevation adjustment knob
-A3 Upper is the Flat top uppers

Now you also have A1 and A2 butt stocks along with collapsible. I believe the A2 butt stock is slightly longer then the A1 butt stock.

The M4, I believe has the flattop upper, M4 profile barrel, Carbine gas system, and a fatter hand guard.

Here is a good link that explains all the setups:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

Anyone else please feel free to correct me or add to my info. Hope this helps some. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

The M16 was an initial version first adopted in 1964 by the United States Air Force (USAF). This version had no forward assist. The U.S. Army began to field the XM16E1 en masse in 1965 with most going to Vietnam. The US Marine Corps also adopted the system during this period. The XM16E1 was standardized as the M16A1 in 1967. The A1 had a forward assist. This version remained the primary infantry rifle of the United States military from 1967 until the 1980s, when it was supplemented by the M16A2. During the early 1980s a roughly standardized load for this ammunition was adopted throughout NATO (see: 5.56 mm NATO).
The M16A3 is a fully-automatic variant of the M16A2, issued primarily within the United States Navy. The M16A2, in turn, is currently being supplemented by the M16A4, which incorporates the flattop receiver unit developed for the M4 Carbine, and Picatinny rail System. Previous versions of the weapon are still in stock and used primarily by reserve and National Guard units in the United States as well as by the U.S. Air Force.

The Air Force also used a version of the M16 called the CAR. Short 12" barrel with a collapsible stock.

More info here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

Last edited:
I just got finished building a 24" bull barrell set up for varminting. I purchased a stripped lower milled POF receiver from a dealer-friend of mine and bought a kit from Model-1 Sales. I would recomend at least checking out their website.
http://www.model1sales.com/

I'd enclose a pic but I get the message of "Your file of 1.63 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 97.7 KB for this filetype. "

Does anyone in cyber-land know how to reduce the size of a .jpg file?
later - Sam

OK, I think I figured out how to reduce the pic size.
Here's the newest member of my family...
View attachment 79

View attachment 80

later - sam

Nice Rifle Sam! How the Model-1 kit shoot? My next one is going to me a nice 20" bull. Here's my latest build. I'm looking at getting an Aimpoint for it now.

HPIM0259.jpg

Nice one KimberPB!
I want my next build to be something similar to your's.
Have not taken the Model-1 out yet, as I littterally "Just" finished it.
My son is coming into town this weekend, and we'll probably go and try it out.
I hoping to zero it in at 200 yards. We'll see...

thaks

thanks fellows, sam and kimber, both guns look great but for now im going for a carbine. latter i'll build others for whatever hits me. i had one person tell me you can put an a-10 upper on ar-15 lower. i don't know and will about that latter. got to get this monster done first. thanks again everybody!:duim:

be sure to check out www.ar15.com theres a wealth of information there with tons of links for parts. they have diagrams/guides whatever you need. i'm sure you've already checked it out by now, but if you haven't be sure to give it a look.

thanks fellows, sam and kimber, both guns look great but for now im going for a carbine. latter i'll build others for whatever hits me. i had one person tell me you can put an a-10 upper on ar-15 lower. i don't know and will about that latter. got to get this monster done first. thanks again everybody!:duim:

Just to give you a heads up and AR-10 upper will not fit an AR15 lower. An AR10 is chambered for 308 and the 308 mags and meg well is much larger then an AR15 meg well.

Ar-15

View attachment 115
Just to give you a heads up and AR-10 upper will not fit an AR15 lower. An AR10 is chambered for 308 and the 308 mags and meg well is much larger then an AR15 meg well.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR INPUT. I FINALLY GOT IT DONE FOR NOW, UNTILL I FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO TO IT. I'LL TRY TO PUT A PIC WITH THIS. IF IT DOESN'T WORK I'LL KEEP TRYING. I'VE TAKEN IT OUT A COUPLE OF TIMES SO FAR AND I'M REALLY HAPPY WITH IT . SHOOTS AND HANDLES GREAT. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE: ROCK RIVER M4 CARBINE CHROME LINED, YOUNG BOLT CHROMED, YANKEE HILL FOLD DOWN FRONT AND REAR SITES, EOTECH 552D1 RED DOT SITE, VORTEX FLASHHIDER, J&T 6 POSITION STOCK, FREE FLOAT QUAD RAIL, ROCK RIVER NM 2 STAGE TRIGGER, KNS ANTI ROTATION PINS, ERGO SURE GRIP, COMMAND ARMS VERTICAL GRIP WITH BUILT IN BIPOD THAT SWIVELS AND CANTS. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. I WIFE ABSOLUTLY LOVES IT AND CAN'T WAIT TO SHOOT IT.

View attachment 115

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR INPUT. I FINALLY GOT IT DONE FOR NOW, UNTILL I FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO TO IT. I'LL TRY TO PUT A PIC WITH THIS. IF IT DOESN'T WORK I'LL KEEP TRYING. I'VE TAKEN IT OUT A COUPLE OF TIMES SO FAR AND I'M REALLY HAPPY WITH IT . SHOOTS AND HANDLES GREAT. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE: ROCK RIVER M4 CARBINE CHROME LINED, YOUNG BOLT CHROMED, YANKEE HILL FOLD DOWN FRONT AND REAR SITES, EOTECH 552D1 RED DOT SITE, VORTEX FLASHHIDER, J&T 6 POSITION STOCK, FREE FLOAT QUAD RAIL, ROCK RIVER NM 2 STAGE TRIGGER, KNS ANTI ROTATION PINS, ERGO SURE GRIP, COMMAND ARMS VERTICAL GRIP WITH BUILT IN BIPOD THAT SWIVELS AND CANTS. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. I WIFE ABSOLUTLY LOVES IT AND CAN'T WAIT TO SHOOT IT.

Congrats! That is a very fine looking rifle. You should have a ton of fun with it. I like the forward grip/bi pod. I as looking at putting that on mine also.

I'm going to be starting my 24" 6.5 grendel build very soon.

Once again congrats and enjoy it!

THANKS KIMBER, I REALLY LIKE HER. HERE'S THE SITE I GOT THE COMMAND ARMS GRIP FROM Link Removed
IT'S NICE WITH THE WAY IT SWIVELS AND CANTS.

THANKS KIMBER, I REALLY LIKE HER. HERE'S THE SITE I GOT THE COMMAND ARMS GRIP FROM Link Removed
IT'S NICE WITH THE WAY IT SWIVELS AND CANTS.

Thanks for the link Grizly. How do you like your Eotech? My grouping improved a lot at 100 yd after I bought mine.

i really like it so far. i've got the 100 yard down pat and pretty good on 200 yard. i had so people tell me i couldn't do that so that makes me try that much harder. it's definitly not a scope but if need be i feel great at 200 and need to work up to 300. i'll let you know how that works. i am planning on a good scope, maybe acog don't know yet , but will have one to see what kind of distance i can get. hey, thanks for the input again!!!

i really like it so far. i've got the 100 yard down pat and pretty good on 200 yard. i had so people tell me i couldn't do that so that makes me try that much harder. it's definitly not a scope but if need be i feel great at 200 and need to work up to 300. i'll let you know how that works. i am planning on a good scope, maybe acog don't know yet , but will have one to see what kind of distance i can get. hey, thanks for the input again!!!

200 yards should be very doable with an Eotech. I watched a 2 gun shot were the last plate was at 200m. I'd say 90% of the shooters were using aimpoints and Eotechs. Most of them had no problem hitting it. Eotech actually has a model out that has the elevation marks for 400m.

I've looked at the 3x magnifiers with the pivot mount but not sure if I want to drop the money for it yet.

Nice Toy

That is one very nice looking toy you have there. I like what you have done with it. Have fun with it and be safe.

Has any body tried the new gas upgrade on their ar's?

I've looked at those also. The AR would shoot a lot cleaner but not sure how the gas key and carrier holds up from the impact. Would be interesting to find out if it prolongs or shortens the life of your carrier.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back