Ar-15 need help or information please.

S&WM&P40

Does anyone know of a good site to buy a ar-15 on for cheap? Does not have to be a name brand. Also how much would it cost to have someone build you one? All of this is new to me.

How much would it cost to have someone build one for me? can that even be done? Or is it illegal if they are not a gun shop or have a FFL?

The kit is 465 and with the parts i added it's 710. Now is this a complete rifle? After you make it your good to go shooting? Or is this only half a kit? I'm so new to the AR-15 platform and have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

Before you spend ANY $$$, I strongly suggest you read this article.

"An AR-15 Buyers Guide"

It will detail everything, and I mean everything you want to know about what to buy, what is important, and why not to buy certain things. I strongly recommend it to anyone looking to buy a AR. He is a cop and spent many hours developing this guide.

Half the guys on my shift read it before they purchased theirs and had no idea the importance of the little things.

Anyone can buy a gun, almost anyone can build a gun, but unless you know why you are buying what you are buying, you are wasting your money.

The kit is 465 and with the parts i added it's 710. Now is this a complete rifle? After you make it your good to go shooting? Or is this only half a kit? I'm so new to the AR-15 platform and have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

This kit comes with a complete and test fired upper. So you would not need to do anything extra to that. What the kit is missing is a stripped lower receiver but does come with everything needed to complete the lower.

So basically you'd need to buy the kit and a stripped lower receiver. Assemble the lower receiver. Then just join the Upper (already complete) to the lower with the two take down pins.

Check out this thread on AR15.com. It'll help you get familiar with how everything goes together. I used this guide on my first build and I think I had my lower complete in an about an hour.

Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM

The lower is easy to build. Look at these.

Assembling the Lower Receiver Introduction
BROWNELLS: Assembling the Lower Receiver Introduction

Installing the Magazine Catch
BROWNELLS: Installing the Magazine Catch

Installing a Bolt Catch
BROWNELLS: Installing the Bolt Catch

Installing the Pivot Pin
BROWNELLS: Installing the Pivot Pin

Installing the Trigger Group
BROWNELLS: Installing the Trigger Group

Installing the Safety Selector & Pistol Grip
BROWNELLS: Installing the Safety Selector & Pistol Grip

Installing the Trigger Guard
BROWNELLS: Installing the Trigger Guard

i got my bushmaster m-4 patrolmans carbine with carry handle scope mount and 3x9x50 simmons scope for around $900.00 as i recall but bought it from a old gunsmith i know pretty well, my brother before he passed away and had done a lot of buisness with him so i got it for 10% above his cost + shipping. he was a close personal friend of Carlos Hathkock, the marine sniper who had over 100 confermed kills in viet-nam, more than any other of the war! and has Carlos's personal drag bag. i got the carry handle type insted of the flat top as it's what i alway's carried in the army.:pleasantry:

I would like to suggest foregoing the standard trigger and hammers pins. I haven't seen any yet that didn't rotate slightly out of the lower reciever after extensive shooting, especially with lower quality recieivers and LPK parts.

Skip right to the KNS Precision non-rotating hammer and trigger pins (stainless) with the anti-rotate bars that screw into the hammer pin. You'll need to the .154 size pins, unless your lower is an older Colt with large pins. Probably not, but worth mentioning.

KNS Precision : Link Removed

I recently finished a lower reciever build wth an RRA stipped lower and all LPK parts from Brownells. I skipped the standard hammer and trigger pins and went straight for the extra $32 for the KNS anti-rotations system with the bars colored FDE.

Hope this helps a bit more.

I would browse the AR15 sites on the web, alot, more than alot and read and study all the nuances of the AR15 platoform before buying anything off the shelf.

www.m4carbine.com

AR15.Com

Both are filled with members who have extensive experience building and shooting all varients of the AR series rifle.

If I where you, or you where going to take my advice I would purchase a quality stripped lower. "Quality" being the key word. Stay away from Stag, Armalite, etc. Stick with LMT, Colt, RRA, CMMG just to name a few.

You can find stripped lowers anywhere, but that doesn't mean it's a quality lower. There is a difference between MIL-SPEC and COMMERCIAL rifles and their recievers and parts.

Build your lower with a quality lower parts kit from Brownells. You'll get to know the AR platform more than you will ever purchasing a complete rifle just because it looks good on the rack and has a decent sharpie pen price written on the tag.

There are videos over at Brownells on how to install all the lower components, but you don't necessarily need all the tools that they may show you in their videos.

I've assembled a few lowers just sitting on the floor of my house while watching television with just a hammer, some punch pins and a couple other tools that are not expensive to purchase if you don't already have them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back