AR-15 hubby fired in house

jsdjeanne

Hubby & I were going to range, the AR-15 was to be scoped in; it had the
.22 chamber in it, he changed it to the .223. Then he asked me what I wanted in it (gun was an anniversary gift from him) and I said .22. SO, he was changing it back to .22, racked it and BLAM!! Shot out the french door pane leading to dining room, never did find the bullet. He said he cleared it (I remember him doing so) but he did not do a visual check...or he wasn't paying attention. Took gun outside later (after I cooled off some) and shot it, on the 10th round it jammed. All this to day...be diligent!! :angry: Anybody have a problem with the conversion kits jamming on the AR-15? Many thanks, Jeanne

AR-15 Jam

Yeah, from my experience & from what I've heard, the 22 conversion on the AR-15 / M-16 has a long history of jamming. The 22 cartridge just doesn't have the "oomph" to cycle the weapon. The Air Force used that conversion when I went through basic training (the government trying to save money) and we had a horrible time on the range, especially in anything but single fire. Had a LOT of stovepipes and failures to cycle. The only thing I can suggest is just make sure to use magnum ammo to get more bang out it. Even THAT won't stop the ocassional jam. Your problem was probably caused by an extractor failure. That happens also. I believe the .223 cartridge (though I've never compared them) has a slightly larger rim (.22 as opposed to .223), so the extractor sometimes fails to grab the smaller .22 cartridge rim. Hope this helps....:no:

I have never had an issue on my CMMG .22 conversion kit. Fires everything just fine. I only use blackdog mags too.

Many thanks for your reply...another question: if it were 'stovepiped,' would he have been able to see it? I think the obvious is apparent, he failed to clear the loaded weapon before tinkering with it. But still wonder why he did not see it .22 in it. If the extractor failed, he would have been able to see the bullet, right? Many thanks for dealing with my dumb questions, but sure want to be safe!!! Jeanne

I don't have an AR-15 in .22, but have been doing a ton of reading up on them. I was considering going for our local club's version of CMP Sporter with it. It seems like a lot of the conversions out there are very finicky. Some people are able to get them to be reliable, others have lots of jamming and even accidental discharges (apparently rimfire ammunition is more susceptible to being accidently fired during other malfunctions/handling?). So, it sounds like there's hope, it *can* be made reliable, but might just require a lot more work to get there than if it was in another caliber...

Dear All,
Many thanks for speedy replies, I will choose to use the .223 when I plink with the AR-15, hubby can have the converter kit...as long as it is used OUTSIDE!!

Yes if it had "stovepiped" he would have been able to see it. That is when a round fires, but the brass fails to eject fully & the bolt catches it on the way out. It is usually pointing straight out the side, open face out, hence the "stovepipe". Had the extractor failed, he should have been able to see the round in the chamber. The round may have been still in the magazine when he was reacking the slide & it may have chambered without him realizing it. When he let go of the bolt that last time it may have struck the round with enough force to cause a discharge. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened, probably won't be the last. Just be thankful no one was hurt, and chalk it up to a lesson learned! Be safe!

.22 chamber in it, he changed it to the .223. Then he asked me what I wanted in it (gun was an anniversary gift from him) and I said .22. SO, he was changing it back to .22, racked it and BLAM!! Shot out the french door pane leading to dining room, never did find the bullet. He said he cleared it (I remember him doing so) but he did not do a visual check...or he wasn't paying attention. Took gun outside later (after I cooled off some) and shot it, on the 10th round it jammed. All this to day...be diligent!! :angry: Anybody have a problem with the conversion kits jamming on the AR-15? Many thanks, Jeanne

Nobody hit with the round, round did not make it to a neighbors so as to get police involved. Again, nobody hit with the round. There are many, many, many people every year wounded or killed the very way your hubby negligently discharged the firearm. ...Perhaps it would be best to take even just a flipp'n minute to ponder that thought before worrying about jams!!!!!!!

Many thanks for all your replies, as far as the pondering...that part is up to him. I have b****ed enough, whether he listened or not, who knows. Can never be too safe around fire arms, I am just a 'stupid woman' and a newbie to the sport, so I expected him to school me on safe practices. Ummmmmm... re-thinking that. I took a gun safety course at the county, it was good. He said he will go, but I also know 'something will come up' and he will not go. So, that is my pond I am swimming in. I am thinking I will not shoot with him, a sad statement to make, but perhaps for the better. Again, many thanks for all replies. Jeanne

Its hard to find a company that makes a good conversion kit for the AR platform. From what I understand, and I am not a gun smith or builder, I guess it all has to do with the gas tube and the .22 round not having enough pressure going through to make the bolt go back far enough to eject the spent casing. From what I heard if you convert it to the "gas piston" it helps with that issue. I have never used a conversion kit myself this is just what I have heard on the subject so I would defiantly do your research on that before you waste your money. COLT and BUSHMASTER make a .22 Chambered AR-15 rifle and I hear they work absolutely phenomenal. You might just want to invest the money in something like that. It has every aspect of the AR, the charging handle, forward assist, its the same size, same weight, barrel the same length, the mag is the same size, just fitted for the .22 on the inside. So you wouldn't be getting away from the feel of the AR and it would probably save you hours of aggravation and a little money in the long run.

As far as the accidental discharge. Well, I have been a firearms instructor for a long time and I swore that would never happen to me. Then one day it did. I was helping a buddy with some trigger work on his pistol, we had two pistols out, he wanted one trigger to feel like the other one, so I checked and made sure they were both unloaded, was racking the slide, pulling the trigger on one, set it down, picked up the other and did the same, well he thought I was done so he put the magazine back in one of them, when I picked it up and racked the slide, boom. Whole in the wall. Now, that was from complacency. I should have picked up on the sound of the round chambering, and the weight of the gun being different, but I didn't. It happens. It happens to the best of us, what saved my ass is I followed the rule and always followed it over and over again and that is "make sure the firearm is always pointed in a safe direction". Because it did go off accidental I only had to repair a wall, and not a human. Anyways I hope this helped!

I have never had an issue on my CMMG .22 conversion kit. Fires everything just fine. I only use blackdog mags too.

CMMG makes one EXCELLENT product. My buddy got the 9mm in the AR Platform, shot absolutely beautifully! CMMG is the ONLY manufacturer that got it right. Everyone else who made a 9mm in AR platform it was a horrible disaster.

He "racked" it and it went "boom?"

Either he pulled the trigger or your AR conversion kit is seriously in need of replacement or repair.

The fireing pin is a floater not a spring loaded pin. It has too be hit by the hammer to discharge the weapon, thus your system is either broken or he simply pulled the trigger not "racked" the charger to load the chamber of the weapon.

So, either the conversion kit is junk or your husbund pulled the trigger on a loaded weapon or your disconnecter and spring are in need of replacement.

Dear All,
Yes, I forgot to put in thread, he was racking and 'dry firing' while the .223 was in the AR, but when he replaced the .223 with the .22, he did not realize it was hot. So KA-BOOM it went. I thank every one of you for your comments, there is a lot to learn with guns and looking forward to learning safety first. It was a stupid mistake, and very thankful one of the dogs or I was not the end result of a .22 gone astray. Got the pane fixed, shutter will be fixed, hope he learned a lesson. Good to know it has happened with seasoned shooters as well. Could have been sooooo much worse! Be safe out there!

I would suggest that you inform your hubby that you will not shoot with him untill he attends the same weapons course that you have gone to. I would make him understand that you want this to be a family sport but it is a good idea for the 2 of you to be reading from the same page and from the same type of training. You can also tell him that he will never know what type of prize he can win in competition with you after he completes the training course. LOL
Good luck
Bill

Nobody hit with the round, round did not make it to a neighbors so as to get police involved. Again, nobody hit with the round. There are many, many, many people every year wounded or killed the very way your hubby negligently discharged the firearm. ...Perhaps it would be best to take even just a flipp'n minute to ponder that thought before worrying about jams!!!!!!!
This reply gets my thumbs up. Where's the like button?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back