Ar 15 guys I'm about to tick you off!

The M-16 or civilian AR-15 is a good rifle. I have one myself. However I think the Sig is an improvement over it. IMHO.

In your diatribe you said there are millions and millions of AR fans out there. If there are that many fans then that should tell you something. If the platform didn't work then there wouldn't be that many fans.

If you fired in basic training in 83 you either fired a Colt or an Armalite M-16. IH never made an M-16 for the military or civilian use.

You stated you couldn't fire over 3 rounds at a time. If that was the case it sounds like you had a bad magazine. Failure to fire problems usually because of a bent feed lip on a training magazine that had been dropped too many times. I've trashed many magazines because of this. Yes the M-16 will become a little sluggish after a few thousand rounds but a squirt of CLP will take care of it for a while. About the time you were in basic we tried to see if we could melt a barrel on an M-16. We loaded couple thousand rounds in 30 rd mags. We fired them off as fast as we could on full auto. We had the barrel almost white hot. Other than a few FF's because of a bad mag and a few cook-offs it worked fine until it got too hot to hold. The hand guard didn't melt and didn't break. When it cooled off we gaged the barrel and it still met embarkation minimums and headspaced within tolerance.

You said if you hit someone with the buttstock it would fall off. First of all the buttstock won't fall off even if it's broken all the way around the stock. I can cut one in two and it will still stay on. I challenge anyone to hit a solid object with the buttstock and have it fall off. You may crack the stock but it won't fall off. The outside of the stock encases a very dense foam that will hold up to a lot of abuse. You stated it would render the M16 inoperable because the buffer spring is housed in the stock. The buffer spring is housed in the buffer tube not the stock. You don't even need a buttstock to operate the rifle. Bottom line is you hit someone with a butt strike and they are going down and the firearm will not fall apart.

I call BS on everything you said. I'm talking from experience not rumors and innuendo.

If the SHTF I'm grabbing one of my AR's. I have several M1 Garands and a couple M1A's but the AR platform will be my choice. Light weight and the 5.56 is a devastating round. A double tap will drop anyone.

i've seen colt's,harrington-richardson's, can't remember them all but that was back durring viet-nam so diffrent manufacturer's had to pitch in to meet the demand of the military.:pleasantry:

Thought this thread was dead and buried. Still never can like the AR platform,I dont knock those who do. Wish I had the change for a nice M1A,but I dont. Tossed over getting a Galil once or twice,still might. Mixed reviews on that one. My shtf rifle will mostly be used for stray dogs and carrying around in the truck for the odd coyote I encounter. Dont want one of those AR's for that,wouldnt hold up to the strain I fear. But for those of you who like the AR,fine,just not for me. Knowing the AK is as dependable as dirt,I cant see how a Galil would be all that bad. And half price of an AR to boot. What are ya'lls opinions on the Galil? Anybody? I know this is a very opinionated crowd.:sarcastic:

Bayonet drill, boxing with a club in your hands witha little street fighting tossed in.
A SA SOCOM 16 would be a good short rifle that is still usable as a club.
With the AR 2 rounds is better than a bayonet.

An e tool is better for CQC than an M4 and a 1911 is even better.

Bayonet drill, boxing with a club in your hands witha little street fighting tossed in.
A SA SOCOM 16 would be a good short rifle that is still usable as a club.
With the AR 2 rounds is better than a bayonet.

An e tool is better for CQC than an M4 and a 1911 is even better.

What ?? :wacko:

The only AR I like is the AR-10, but from what I've read people aren't as lucky with them as they are the AR-15. Give me a real man's caliber. ;)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back