Approved Safety Course

Sights on Target

The Rochester Police list training as:
"First time applicants are required to submit a copy of a certificate of completion from a state-approved basic firearms safety course along with their application. "

Does this include any NRA class? I cannot seem to locate what are acceptable courses.

I am a certified instructor trying to find out how to get my class accepted by the Mass. State Police

Last edited:
Found It: In case anybody else is looking...

Approved Basic Firearms Safety Courses
In Accordance with Massachusetts General Law Chapter . 140, § 131P and 515 CMR 3.00:

L.T.C. Basic Firearms Safety Courses

Certification #
Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association Basic Handgun Safety Course LTC-001
NRA Basic Pistol Course LTC-002
NRA Personal Protection Course LTC-003
SIG Arms Academy Handgun Orientation Course LTC-004
Smith & Wesson Academy Massachusetts Carry Permit Course LTC-005
MCJTC Recruit Firearms Training Course LTC-006
*NRA Home Safety Course LTC-007
Worcester Police Department Firearms Responsibility and Safety Program LTC-008
Mass Sheriffs’Association’s Firearms Safety & Handling Course LTC-009
B.F.S.I. Handgun Safety Course LTC-010
Massachusetts State Police Recruit Firearms Training Program LTC-011
SIG Arms Concealed Carry Pistol Course LTC-012
USPSA Safe Handgun Competitor - MA Edition Firearms Course LTC-013
CQB Arms LTC Course LTC-014
The Andover Police Department's Basic Firearms Safety Course LTC-015
The MagPro Basic Firearms Safety Course LTC-016
Massachusetts Certified Basic Pistol Course LTC-017
CCW Point Blank Course LTC-018

* The NRA Home Safety Course which was previously certified for F. I. D. Cards only (course FID-002) has been reclassified for LTC
F.I.D. Card Basic Firearms Safety Courses

Certification #
NRA Basic Rifle Or Shotgun Courses FID-001
SIG Arms Academy Firearms Orientation and Familiarization Courses for Shotgun, Carbine or Rifle FID-003
Smith & Wesson Academy Massachusetts F.I.D. Safety Course FID-004

Link Removed

What you need to watch out for:

4. Firearms Safety Course: First time applicants must submit a copy of a recent certificate showing completion of a basic firearm safety course given in their home state or in Massachusetts. This course must have been taken with an instructor who is certified by the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police (please ask your instructor prior to taking the course if he is certified in Massachusetts).

I sent them an email on how to be recognized as a certified instructor. Any ideas on how to do this?

I'd appreciate it if you could post the results here. I'm interested to know as well. There are a bunch of military folks currently stationed here in PRHI that are originally from MA and would like to take the safety course locally if possible.

gf

I'm wondering if an out of state NRA Basic course instructor must be MA certified...or just those that instruct within the state of MA....

Ok- Talked to a bunch of people today.

1st, you need a Massachusetts non-resident before you are certified as an instructor. The catch is it is 100 bucks a year, and you have to appear in Mass.

2nd- you need to take a safety course with a Mass. licensed instructor.

A out of state instructor must be licensed by the Mass police.

3rd- (if you are granted a non-resident carry permit )then you apply to the state police to be certified, and you need to supply copies of all of your credentials.

Seems like way too much work to do for the few students I have wanting a Mass permit.

Ok- Talked to a bunch of people today.

1st, you need a Massachusetts non-resident before you are certified as an instructor. The catch is it is 100 bucks a year, and you have to appear in Mass.

2nd- you need to take a safety course with a Mass. licensed instructor.

A out of state instructor must be licensed by the Mass police.

3rd- (if you are granted a non-resident carry permit )then you apply to the state police to be certified, and you need to supply copies of all of your credentials.

Seems like way too much work to do for the few students I have wanting a Mass permit.

Thanks for checking it out and reporting back. I'm gonna advice the folks that I've been talking to that it would be much simpler for them to take a class in MA the next time they travel home for a visit.

gf

Wait a minute..I'm lost here. Are we talking about first time applicants seaching for "approved safety courses" to obtain a MA. permit, or first time applicants looking to be recognized as NRA MA. instructors?

Wait a minute..I'm lost here. Are we talking about first time applicants seaching for "approved safety courses" to obtain a MA. permit, or first time applicants looking to be recognized as NRA MA. instructors?

I'm glad you asked....i thought maybe i mis-understood the OP question....but it seems to have morphed...

I am an instructor trying to get certified by the Mass. State Police. They will not accept any NRA training course that is not taught by one of their approved instructors.

So, basically You need to make phone calls to see who in MA. is teaching NRA classes whether it's in state or not, just as long as the instructor is MA. certifeid, correct?
...also adding that it is $100. for one year to be certified, same as a non-resident applying for a LTC (A)?

Correct. To be certified by the police, you need to have a LTC and pay a 50 dollar fee to be approved.

It is 100 per year for a non-resident permit, plus 50 for being certified for being an instructor. I do not believe the 50 dollar instructor fee is a yearly fee though. It appears to be a one time fee as far as I can tell.

I've asked a couple months ago and haven't gotten any response. Now seems like a good time to ask again...

Does anyone know of any MA certified instructors located in eastern or central PA?

If you contact the Firearms Records Bureau at 617-660-4780 or the Mass State Police at 508-820-2300, they can tell you. The lady at the Mass State Police went through the entire list with me for NY instructors.

I've asked a couple months ago and haven't gotten any response. Now seems like a good time to ask again...

Does anyone know of any MA certified instructors located in eastern or central PA?

If you get a list...be sure to share it...:biggrin:

If you contact the Firearms Records Bureau at 617-660-4780 or the Mass State Police at 508-820-2300, they can tell you. The lady at the Mass State Police went through the entire list with me for NY instructors.
I'm guessing then that it is not posted anywhere online, otherwise she would have just pointed you in that direction, right?

To answer the original question: The State police pretty much take a copy of the instructors NRA completed course, charge the instructor fifty bucks, and issue a STATE certificate. It's all about extracting the fifty bucks from the instructor.

Most of my students are informed about this from somewhere. Probably the application they fill out from their local police.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back