Appendix carry without printing so damn much?

AndeyHall

Ok, let me start by saying that while I'm new to appendix carry, I'm not new to carrying. I filed my CWP (South Carolina) paperwork the day I turned 21 and received my permit almost exactly 90 after that. Been carrying almost every day all day (everywhere I could at least) ever since then. I was very subconscious about printing at first, but eventually got over it (to a degree). When I turned 24 I went into LE and from that point I really gave 0 sh$ts about printing. That is until today, the first day I tried appendix carry.

A lot of guys I work with really recommend the G Code Incog holster, so I tried it out. Read a bunch of reviews and everyone seemed to love it, and it was also the first holster that always popped up when I tried searching for the best appendix carry holsters. Got it in the mail last Friday and today is the first day I'm trying it out. Comfort wise, after some getting use to it I could see myself liking it a lot more than my usual 3 o clock carry. The issue is, the bottom of my G23 pokes out my right side like...ALOT! I know everyone always says it's less noticeable than what you think, but that's definitely not the case here. Anyone else have this issue or managed to solve it?

Here's some **** pics to show you what I'm talking about...

0a455a9db06e6383a651abf56401dd24.jpg

b7735c8f5df325c887473ba094ef3809.jpg

Be sure you have a good stiff gun belt to keep the gun and holster against your belly. I carry a sub compact 1911 and it doesn't show that much. If you don't have a good gun belt, the gun and holster will want to lean out on you and do what it is doing, showing. Just a guess, tighten the belt up.

Be sure you have a good stiff gun belt to keep the gun and holster against your belly. I carry a sub compact 1911 and it doesn't show that much. If you don't have a good gun belt, the gun and holster will want to lean out on you and do what it is doing, showing. Just a guess, tighten the belt up.

The belt I'm wearing is a 5.11 trainer belt. It's pretty stiff. Tried it again today and tightened the belt up to the point that it was uncomfortable BEFORE putting the holster on and it was just crazy uncomfortable trying to carry. It helped the printing issue a decent bit but it was still pretty freakin noticeable. I'm kinda wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the Raven Concealment holster that has that little j hook that allows your belt to push the butt of the gun in closer to your waist.

Try moving more to 12:30-1:30 there's a sweet spot for me right in between 12:30 and 2 that the butt tucks in and doesn't hang off my side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A good heavy belt (doesn't have to be expensive), and a holster with a good forward kant(makes the hand grip stay in an up ward position and close to you), worn a 4 or 5 o'clock should take care of most of your problem. I never wear knit shirts as they seem to take the conform of the gun if against it. I prefer to wear a tank top t-shirt tucked in, and a button up sport shirt untucked, in plaid or print, as it breaks up the lines and hides the gun more. I even wear this conceal carry to church and there is a police officer and his wife that sit and stand behind me. No problem ever.

A good heavy belt (doesn't have to be expensive), and a holster with a good forward kant(makes the hand grip stay in an up ward position and close to you), worn a 4 or 5 o'clock should take care of most of your problem. I never wear knit shirts as they seem to take the conform of the gun if against it. I prefer to wear a tank top t-shirt tucked in, and a button up sport shirt untucked, in plaid or print, as it breaks up the lines and hides the gun more. I even wear this conceal carry to church and there is a police officer and his wife that sit and stand behind me. No problem ever.
Well I never had a problem with carrying 3 o clock. I don't like carrying any further back than that because I feel like my draw is too slow. I got the Incog holster cause it's the only one that I could have my XC1 light on. I decided to carry appendix because the draw is even quicker than on my strong side.

Sorry, couldn't tell from the photos. A wing claw should help pull the butt in.
Yeah I liked that idea with the Raven Concealment holster but they don't offer a holster for a light. Wish there was a way to add one to my Incog.

So I think I may have resolved my issue...I took the belt hook off that was over in front of the slide (if the holster is on me, the one on the left) and the one in front of the trigger guard (which is the only one you really need) I found out can be canted. So without the other clip pulling the left side of the holster back and with the added cant, there is virtually no more printing. Holster is more comfortable this way too. Here's the holster I have so you can picture what I'm talking about:
0f25dd6ccd1991cf5c05a6facd48a4f5.jpg

You may be able to add an RCS "Claw" or "Wedge" (see what I wrote below with regards to a wedge) to your holster to help with concealment. I have a G19 and had a very difficult time deciding between the G-Code holster you have, Bravo Concealment DOS Torsion Holster and Raven Concealment Systems Eidolon holster. In the end, I decided on the RCS Eidolon and while I don't have the other two to compare it to, I absolutely love this holster. There are two versions of the Eidolon, the G17 version and the G19 version. I went with the G17 version because it is beveled at the muzzle end while the G19 version is squared off. I also added the RCS "Claw" which pushes against your belt and forces the base of the grip in towards your body. They also have a "Wedge" that mounts on the holster near the end of the muzzle and also forces the entire grip in towards your body as well. I did not purchase the "Wedge" but I took a small piece of pipe insulation foam and mounted it using sticky back Velcro in the same location that the "Wedge" would mount. I opted to do this because it can be taken on/off with ease.

I wear the holster in the 12 to 1 o'clock position and even though I have a little bit of a stomach you cannot see any printing at all. The holster is extremely comfortable to wear all day and even while sitting. All I do is pull up on my belt a little bit as I sit down and you don't even know it is there. I am currently running it with both belt clips that came with the holster but ride height, cant, single or double belt clips, etc options are there as well. If I remember correctly, I have a total of $70 invested in the holster including shipping and the "Claw" which is about right for a good holster. They offer a "Full" package which comes with the "Claw", "Wedge", and a bunch of extra pieces that allow you to use belt loops instead of clips and even extend the belt clips/loops outwards making it fit similar to a two clip hybrid holster. I don't know how long you have had the G-Code holster but most manufacturers offer a trial period that allows you to return the holster for a full refund. Not sure how long G-Code offers, but RCS offers a "no questions asked" 30 day refund policy. I hope this helps.

RCS Eidolon

Link Removed

You may be able to add an RCS "Claw" or "Wedge" (see what I wrote below with regards to a wedge) to your holster to help with concealment. I have a G19 and I had a very difficult time deciding between the G-Code holster you have, Bravo Concealment DOS Torsion Holster and Raven Concealment Systems Eidolon holster. In the end, I decided on the RCS Eidolon and while I don't have the other two to compare it to, I absolutely love this holster. There are two versions of the Eidolon, the G17 version and the G19 version. I went with the G17 version because it is beveled at the muzzle end while the G19 version is squared off. I also added the RCS "Claw" which pushes against your belt and forces the base of the grip in towards your body. They also have a "Wedge" that mounts on the holster near the end of the muzzle and also forces the entire grip in towards your body as well. I did not purchase the "Wedge" but I took a small piece of pipe insulation foam and mounted it using sticky back Velcro in the same location that the "Wedge" would mount. I opted to do this because it can be taken on/off with ease.

I where the holster in the 12 to 1 o'clock position and even though I have a little bit of a stomach, you cannot see any printing at all. The holster is extremely comfortable to wear all day and even while sitting. All I do is pull up on my belt a little bit as I sit down and you don't even know it is there. I am currently running it with both belt clips that came with the holster but ride height, cant, single or double belt clips, etc options are there. If I remember correctly, I have a total of $70 invested in the holster including shipping and the "Claw" which is about right for a good holster. They offer a "Full" package which comes with the "Claw", "Wedge", and a bunch of extra pieces that allow you to use belt loops and even extend the belt clips outwards making it fit similar to a two clip hybrid holster. I don't know how long you have had the holster but some manufacturers offer a trial period that allows you to return the holster for a refund. Not sure how long G-Code offers, but RCS offers a now questions asked 30 day refund policy. I hope this helps.

RCS Eidolon
Link Removed
I had actually set my mind on sending the GCode back and getting the Eidolon, however my hang up was when I realized they don't offer the Eidolon to accept lights, more specifically my XC1 that I bought specifically for my G23 to carry with.

Off topic, but how do you like the XC1? I've been looking at getting a weapon light and I cannot make my mind up if I want one with or without a laser. I primarily carry either the Glock 19 or HK VP9 and I would equip both the same so making the decision is important because it will be 2X the price.

Since I have been looking at adding a weapon light, I've been looking for light bearing IWB holsters as well. The problem I've been running into is a lot of holster manufacturers don't offer an IWB/AIWB with an option for the XC1 and/or incorporate a mag holder their light bearing holsters. These are the ones I have narrowed it down to at this time based upon reviews I have read. After I figure out which light to get, then I have to decide on mag holder or not. Decisions, decisions.

Light Bearing without magazine holder:
- CNC Holsters KEROMAN V2. This holster is very similar to the Eidolon and has the "Claw" and "Wedge" built into the design. Unfortunately I do not see the XC1 as an option.
- Alpha Concealment The GRYPHON - Ultimate Light Bearing IWB. This one has XC1 option, has wing and is tuckable.
- T.REX Light-Compatible Raptor. This one has XC1 option, has wing and is tuckable.
- Redline Concealment Light Bearing Taco IWB. This one lists the XC1 option but the standard version has a 1 1/2" single clip and it is not tuckable. Since they are made to order you may be able to contact them and have them add something that is tuckable.
- CNC Holsters KEROMAN V2. This holster is my favorite because it is very similar to the Eidolon and has the "Claw" and "Wedge" built into the design. Unfortunately I do not see the XC1 as an option.

Light Bearing with magazine holder (tons of options):
- LAS Concealment RONIN-L 2.0
- T.REX Light-Compatible Sidecar.
- Redline Concealment DCR 2.0
- Alpha Concealment The CENTAUR - Light Bearing Half-Breed IWB
- Triton Holsters AIWB V2 APPENDIX RIG

I am following this thread as I am planning to start appendix carry of a BUG. I am looking at the S&W Shield 9mm (really good price right now) or Glock 43. Holster wise, I will probably go NSR Tactical again. No light on this one or my Glock 19 at the moment. I am better off with just a flashlight.

As for weapon-mounted lights for handguns, stay away from the TLR. I have it and I broke the battery door twice within 2 years. The broken battery door stays on the light if it is backed against the trigger guard. In this case, the light is still functioning.

I did see the new Link Removed at the NRA Annual Meeting. It looks pretty small for 200 lumens. I will have to wait and see what the reliability is though. People have been breaking their Inforce WML.

Surefire still seems to be the way to go. I have personally no use for lasers at this point though.

I changed to Appendix carry a short time ago and I am glad I did. For years I carried in the 4-5 o'clock position but if you ever needed to access your weapon while in a vehicle the seat belt really interferes and makes it a very cumbersome process, not to mention the fact that I can consistently draw faster with the AIWB holster while standing. Thanks for the input on the Streamlight, as I said, I just started the research process. I really like the way the Inforce APLc looks on a G19, especially how it matches up with the sides and end of the muzzle. Like you, I want to see how it holds up.

As far as BUG is concerned, the only small handgun I have at this time is the Sig P938. I purchased the P938 because I have used 1911's for years and it is very close to a miniature 1911. I find it to be extremely accurate and very manageable to shoot considering its compact size. I am, however, looking for a smaller striker fired pistol and I'm having a very difficult time deciding. I like the G26, but when you add a grip extension to allow for a full grip, the height of the G26 becomes the same as the G19. Since I like HK, the new VP9 SK really caught my eye but I haven't seen one in person and therefore I don't know if a grip extension is in order. Hopefully one will come to a LGS near me so I can take a look at it.

I have also looked at single stacks like the G43, Shield 9mm ($225 after rebate), Walther PPS and the SA XD-S 9mm. Of those, I tend to favor the XD-S and PPS. Luckily I have a range close by that has all of them except for the VP9 SK so when it comes time to purchase one I can try them out and make my decision.

Back on topic, here is a holster that I purchased and it should arrive this week. This holster, by Spider Concealment, is made not too far from where I live and the owners are pretty cool. I was looking for a holster for my VP9 on their website and could not find one exactly the way I wanted it so he created this and added it to his lineup. What is unique about it is the holster does not come with any clips, etc. I have enough older holsters that I can rob hardware from or if I don't, there are several DIY holster suppliers out there you can get anything from standard to RCS to G-Code clips. Anyhow, the way the holster is made you can use the 1 1/2" wide non-tuckable clip, RCS/G-Code clip or belt loops. It is also made to accept the RCS "Claw". Not only is it fully customizable, but it is only $25 shipped to your door. Yes..... My name is Greg and I am a holsterholic.

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back