Apartment Break-In and Newbie LEO with itchy trigger finger.

hwhite1725

I have two encounters.

A few months ago I returned home from work to find my back door shattered and the door blinds torn down. My immediate reaction was to clear the apartment although my dog was non-reactive so I wasn't to concerned about an immediate threat. Once I was sure that there was no one else inside I shut my dog in my room and dialed my local Sheriffs office and then my leasing office. About 5 minutes later the first deputy arrived and I immediately informed him that I was the leasee, I had a CHP and I was currently carrying. The deputy said it was fine and thanked me for informing him (not required in VA). He proceeded to take my statement and a few minutes later a second and third deputy arrived. The first deputy gave them a brief rundown including informing them that I was carrying, and they both nodded and just continued securing the scene. They never did find whoever break in but luckily nothing was taken that wasn't covered by insurance (thankfully all my firearms were locked in the big closet safe :D).

My other encounter happened this past summer and is a perfect example of how even if you do everything right, things can still go wrong. I was on my way home after an afternoon at a private outdoor range teaching a Defensive Handun class and I was passing through a local town. I was extremely tired, slightly dehydrated and wanted nothing more than to get home and relax. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to my speed and happened past an officer doing about 35 in a 25. He pulled out behind me and put on the flashers. I immediately pulled over and he approached my door. Having just taught a class I was still open carrying my Glock and a set of spare mags. I immediately informed the officer of this fact at the same time seeing another officer pulling in behind the first. While the first officer and I talked (turned out I knew him through a friend), what turned out to be a new officer approached on my passenger's side. Before either I or the first officer could say anything, the second officer saw my Glock through the open window, yelled "GUN" and, drawing his own weapon, pointed it firmly at my head. I did my best not to flinch but out of the corner I my eye I could plainly see that his finger was inside the guard on the trigger. Thankfully, after a quick word from the first officer, the second officer lowered his gun and following an apology, I was allowed to leave and continue my journey home. Needless to say, that definitely got my adrenaline pumping.

Having just taught a class I was still open carrying my Glock and a set of spare mags. I immediately informed the officer of this fact at the same time seeing another officer pulling in behind the first. While the first officer and I talked (turned out I knew him through a friend), what turned out to be a new officer approached on my passenger's side. Before either I or the first officer could say anything, the second officer saw my Glock through the open window, yelled "GUN" and, drawing his own weapon, pointed it firmly at my head. I did my best not to flinch but out of the corner I my eye I could plainly see that his finger was inside the guard on the trigger. Thankfully, after a quick word from the first officer, the second officer lowered his gun and following an apology, I was allowed to leave and continue my journey home. Needless to say, that definitely got my adrenaline pumping.

This is one of the many reasons why I prefer "concealed carry". You may be doing everything "right", but all it takes is 1 person to "over react" and in a split second, many lives are changed forever.

Your friend should have given the arriving officer the "code 4" sign. His lack of acknowledgment to "quick draw" contributed to the situation.

No matter how tired I am, I properly secure my firearms (holstered and concealed when legal, unloaded and cased when required), put away all of the firearms related tools (gun belt, holsters, magazines, etc.) at minimum, I'll toss the misc. items into my shooting/hunting bag. If the items are out of sight, then there's a smaller chance that folks think you have firearms. Here in HI the law says you must make a direct trip to and from the places where you're allowed to have your firearms. I don't want to risk losing my firearms or my freedom. I do my best to stay within the law.

Glad everything turned out o.k., and "quick draw" didn't shoot you by mistake.

gf

I agree that it is best to conceal and normally I do, but I wasn't anticipating getting out of my car between the range and home. Also, in Virginia, open carry is legal and the officers should all be aware of this. But again, I agree that throwing on a vest or over shirt could have prevented the whole problem.

Needless to say, that definitely got my adrenaline pumping.

:D But that isn't suppose to be pumped out thru the "bottom" is it? :p I remember once being pulled over when I was very young and stupid and as I got out and heard the 12ga round being chambered in the shotgun..thats when I learned that adrenaline can fill your shorts in a hurry!

Glad all worked out for you. As Dr Lewall stated, I believe I would have had to go home and change my pants.

its a tough one

As much as I agree that covering up avoids problems. Sometimes a little open carry, as long is it is legal, is worth the hastle. Young guns like the new deputy are not going to adjust otherwise. Many people grow up their whole lives never seeing a gun, but on an officer. Then when they become officers and see guns around fellow officers only. All other guns are bad guys, in their mind set. Thus the issue. I grew up seeing open carry and hunting rifles everywhere, it became natural. I saw a man walking down the street with a shotgun broke open over his shoulder, once. Honestly I did not bat an eye. He was not doing anything wrong. The same hour a bit later, someone calls in saying a man is walking down the street with a shotgun, UGG, more info please. Poor guy had an interesting day. Most of the cops around here are slowly learning, although there still is an attitude that gun equals bad guy. It takes time I guess. I know one cop who is now working up here in the wild west state, but grew up in the big city. He heard open carry and he thought it meant groceries without a bag. Needless to say he still does'nt not believe that "civillians", whole nother argument over his choice of words, have the right to open carry a gun. Even though by law they do. The only way to change the mind set is slowly push the margins. Very Slowly.

I agree with what the others on the forum said. glad your ok and Welcome to the forum.:)

DJ58

:D But that isn't suppose to be pumped out thru the "bottom" is it? :p I remember once being pulled over when I was very young and stupid and as I got out and heard the 12ga round being chambered in the shotgun..thats when I learned that adrenaline can fill your shorts in a hurry!

AMEN!:eek::D

ok,I have a question.

Now,I know what to do if I get pulled over.Sit still,and don't make any sudden moves.Show the officer my id,and CHL,tell him that I am carrying.Now,if at this point he instructs me to hand him my weapon,should I comply?If he just wants to talk shop and that kind of thing,fine.I'll give my e-mail and phone number.But at the scene,do I have to give him my weapon?Unless I have done something that warrants going to jail,should I turn over my weapon to the police?I guess I should read the Texas Penil codes again.But I don't remember reading anything about that in there.
:confused:

The only time I have ever been asked to hand over my firearm was during a traffic stop in West Virginia about 2 years ago. I was pulled over for doing 7 over the posted limit and the officer asked me to exit my vehicle. I complied and informed him I was carrying (VA permit is good in WV), and he didn't freak out, but asked where it was (SOB) and then removed it and unloaded it. I was carrying my custom Glock 32 and he spent the next 10 minutes telling me how much better mine was than his! :D He then gave me just a warning and I was on my way.

Interesting note, as he handed my Glock back to me, I slid the mag home, racked the slide and reholstered. He then proceeded to tell me that he was "pretty sure that you are not supposed to carry it loaded." :eek: I told him that I was positive you should always carry loaded and that if you didn't then it would be defeating the purpose.

Just goes to show that not all cops know everythin about everything.....even if they think they do.

Usually they want to run the serial number through NCIC to see if its stolen. The courts are always going to side with the police on this issue. They always say that the officer has a right to temporarily disarm you while conducting the traffic stop for his own safety. I'm an LEO I love to see law abiding citizens carrying.
Every week I encounter armed career criminals so I can assure you that criminals are carrying, are you prepared?

Interesting note, as he handed my Glock back to me, I slid the mag home, racked the slide and reholstered. He then proceeded to tell me that he was "pretty sure that you are not supposed to carry it loaded." :eek: I told him that I was positive you should always carry loaded and that if you didn't then it would be defeating the purpose.
In other news, this cop has been walking around with an unloaded sidearm all this time. I feel safer already. :eek:

"Now just wait a second there while I load my bullet into my gun..."

Link Removed

something I should probably know.. if you are a passenger in a car carrying and the car gets pulled over, are you supposed to still inform the cop that you are carrying? or keep your mouth shut as they usually focus on the driver?

something I should probably know.. if you are a passenger in a car carrying and the car gets pulled over, are you supposed to still inform the cop that you are carrying? or keep your mouth shut as they usually focus on the driver?

It would depend on the situation. If it's something like a simple speeding ticket, where the driver is going only a few miles over the limit, then I would say "no". If the officer addressed me directly, and requested my identification, I would provide my carry license along with the I.D. It's a "gray" area. Different states have different laws. Most states talk about if the license holder has contact with LEO. If the cop pulled over the driver for something he/she did, then the "contact" would be between the officer and the driver, not between the officer and myself.

Hope that made sense.

gf

I didn't know adrenaline was that color! :icon_wink::

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back