Anyone shoot / carry 45 GAP ?

CDW4ME

How popular is the 45 GAP?

Still fairly new

It is still new, but compared to the 10mm and the 40 S&W at age 6, I gotta think the GAP is going nowhere.

Both the 10mm and the 40S&W were in FBI service weapons by the time they were 6 years old (10mm adopted in 1990 in the S&W 1076 and the 40 S&W adopted in 1995/6 in the Glock 23) and were correspondingly well received in the LE community.

Interesting.... It supposedly gets the same ballistics as .45 ACP but comes in a smaller package. Thus is cheaper to manufacture. Has the endorsement of Glock, Inc.... Seems to me the .45 GAP would have been a big hit among those looking for a large bore caliber in a smaller package. At a reduced cost too. You'd think they would be selling more Glock 38's and 39's. Oh well, us shooters are funny about such things...:laugh: I guess the .40 S&W took care of that situation as well. Surely there will be someone in here eventually that is carrying a firearm loaded with this cartridge.

The reason Glock endorses the 45 GAP is because it was designed for Glock. GAP stands for Glock Automatic Pistol. The problem with the 45 GAP was it's inaccuracy and heavy recoil. About a year ago one of the gun magazines had a list of future discontinued ammo by manufactures and the 45 GAP was one of them.

Hhhhhmmmmmm

I've got a 45 GAP, Glock; maybe I should consider getting rid of it before it becomes obscure / obsolete. Doesn't seem to be very popular. Ammo might be a problem in the future?

I've got a 45 GAP, Glock; maybe I should consider getting rid of it before it becomes obscure / obsolete. Doesn't seem to be very popular. Ammo might be a problem in the future?

Which model Glock do you have? G37, 38 or 39? How does the cartridge perform at the range for you? Do you find it to be inaccurate with pronounced recoil? Are you having trouble finding ammo? The Georgia State Patrol is using the Glock 37 as their standard issue sidearm now. Evidently they were enthusiastic over the way .45 GAP performed that they adopted it. It appears that the SC State Highway Patrol, NY State Police and Pennsylvania State Police are also using the .45 GAP now as their standard as well.

I wouldn't get rid of it. You know how magazines are...making predictions that may or may not come true. As long as they are being used by LE then ammo will be available. I've been thinking about getting one for my collection. If it becomes a wildcat round I'll just make my own ammo.

I have a Glock 39 with nite sights. The recoil isn't bad, and it's fairly easy to conceal. I think of it as an improved Colt Officers model (yes, I have one of those too). Maybe I should just be suure to stock up on ammo. I currently have a few boxes of Ranger T.

Hey CDW4ME and Red Hat...

Thought these articles would interest both of you. According to the last one, there are 23 agencies across the US that have already adopted .45 GAP as their standard;

Link Removed

Link Removed

No as bad as I thought

Hey, Glockster20 thanks for the links! The 2nd one is telling, with that many LEO organizations using the 45 GAP ammo should be available for years.

All this talk and research about the cartridge is making me take a hard look at the .45 GAP models.... me thinks I may add a couple of new Glocks to the family:biggrin: The G39 is no bigger than the G26 and 27 Glocks!! I am eyeing the Glock 38 as well. Good discussion! Thanks for bringing it up CDW!

IMO the Glock 39 (45 GAP) has no more, maybe less recoil than the 27 (40 cal).
It has less recoil than Colt Officers Model for sure.

45 GAP = awesome

I have a model 38 and 39. I did a little shooting the other day, the 39 & 39 do have less recoil than the 23 & 27 in 40. The 38 & 39 are my first picks due to the speed of follow up shots and bigger bullet diameter. The 27 and 23 are my 3rd & 4th choices. The 40 has a snappier recoil, and smaller bullet, but more capacity and energy.
The joy of choices. :no:

45 gap

Let me be the first to reply to this in a long time. The NYSP, my agency, has had the GAP since last spring and the results have been astounding. We are 8/8 in officer involved shootings, qualification scores have gone up and individual confidence in their sidearms is very high. The guns (G37) are more accurate than the old G17s by far and the felt recoil is actually on par with a stout 9mm, more of a long duration push than a sharp snap. The 200 gr Gold Dot has performed perfectly in every situation. I also own a G38 and it is my favorite in the caliber (have a G39 issued as well for my unit), more accurate than my 37 and a pleasure to shoot. I still love and carry my G19 and G26 but the 45GAP is a helluva round/gun combination. I know it's not 105 years old but it works and works well.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back