Anyone know of someone caught carrying outside their "sportsman" restriction?

My license states license to carry. It is the same as yours except that the restriction limits where and when. It is still a license to carry concealed. There are 2 types of pistol licenses in NY, premise and carry. Anytime I carry within my restrictions, it must be concealed. My restrictions are very liberal, so thats why I said I carry most of the time. So if im hiking, walking, fishing, or working(i have the exception for work also)I must have it concealed. Although there is not a law against open carry, it is assumed that you cant in NY, because you could be charged with brandishing. The big difference between yours and mine is, for example, I want to go to walmart at 11pm. My restrictions technically say I cant carry because i am not doing a recreational activity. With your permit you can without any worries.
Riff, since you already have a wide berth to your restrictions why not file an amendment to unrestricted. Basically you're already there. You would attach a letter to your judge indicating that you are able to carry for all these activities and request the restrictions be lifted to avoid any misunderstanding or unintentional violation of the restrictions (since they're vague and wide). You also would state that you have no intention of carrying on a reglar basis. You can PM me an I'll provide you some sample letters that our students have used successfully when using this aproach.

you canot carry conceal with a sportsman restriction unless you also have a hunting license
That is incorrect. If your license allows for hiking, you may load and holster your gun at home, drive to your location, hike all day and drive home. Same holds true for all activities on your permit as restrictions. There is no requirement under any NYS law that requires you carry your gun locked or in the trunk, etc.

Ok armed-an-rdy..Lets end this now. You have been quoted letters from judges, actual law and you still insist that everyone in NY with a restricted pistol permit is wrong. As for your question on what restricted means...It means we have limitations on when we can carry. If you have a restricted drivers license, you can still drive but mabye only till 9pm. If you go to the white house you can still get in but your restricted to certain areas. If you have a restricted pistol permit you can still carry concealed, but only to and from what the restriction says. My permit says recreational purposes. I know that is vague, but I have written instructions from the judge stating that I can carry concealed to and from..hiking, golfing,walking, riding a bike, riding an atv or snowmobile, jogging, boating, birdwatching, at work, bowling, hunting, target practice, and many other "recreational activities". You say that if the right LEO stops me, I will be in trouble. I cant be arrested, i cant lose my permit unless I do something stupid or illegal. But I will tell you this, I cant because of my restriction, go to the store at 1am to pick up some milk(unless im walking) and carry concealed. Hope you understand now.
Riff, you are correct in this assessment. Your permit states "license to carry" right on the face. Subject to 400.00 (2)(f) there are limitations on when and where but they are given a wide berth. LE usually hold us to human standards. People go hiking and stop for gas or to get a bite to eat on the way home without problems from LE. Some younger officers may give you a little flack but you aren't prosecuted under Article 265 violations due to S265.20(3) - Exemptions for those with a permit.

Considering that your permit allows a wide variety of restrictions, perhaps you could request an amendment for an unrestricted permit. Your reason would be in consideration of the many activities you are allowed , you want to ensure there is no misinterpretation or unintentional violation of the restrictions, but have no intention of carrying on a daily or regular basis. We have some sample letters that have been used successfully by our students. If you PM me I can send you some of these.

Learn some facts

armed-an-rdy :

You have expounded your opinions ad nauseum in the face of facts that various people have pointed out to you. You ignore these facts. I strongly suggest that you get educated. Let me recommend a good source to you. It clearly explains most of your misinterpretations.

The book costs about $20 and is updated annually with changes in the NYS law.

Go to www.looseleaflaw.com

Look for Firearms and Weapons Laws: Gun Control in New York.

If you do this, you will learn something and save the rest of us from your rants!

armed-an-rdy
You are mistaking a "Restricted carry" license (which allows you to carry concealed under restricted circumstances (recreational) with a "Target/Premise" license. With a target/premise license you can only have it at your house, place of business, or the range, and must lock it up for transport. A target/premise license is NOT THE SAME THING as a restricted carry permit.

You are mistaking the word "restricted" for the word "prohibited". Restricted means you can do something under certain conditions, if you couldn't do it, it would be prohibited.

can u drive on a restricted license.
Yes, within the restrictions.

the letter is wrong
The letter is from the Judge, who creates the restrictions. The license is a carry license with specific restrictions. The judge is the one who creates and interprets the restrictions; he is not "wrong".

recreation is hunting and target,not hicking and fishing
No, hiking and fishing are recreational activities.

i fell under attk 111

armed-an-rdy 111
you are mistaking a "restricted carry" license (which allows you to carry concealed under restricted circumstances (recreational) with a "target/premise" license. With a target/premise license you can only have it at your house, place of business, or the range, and must lock it up for transport. A target/premise license is not the same thing as a restricted carry permit.

You are mistaking the word "restricted" for the word "prohibited". Restricted means you can do something under certain conditions, if you couldn't do it, it would be prohibited.

I would like to respond to bc1,tj cubin and jim page.first i feel im being picked on by you 3 guys or girls.way back in message #15 riffmaker stated he has a restricted ccw.he also stated he can carry full time except going to walmart at 11pm.i stated to him he was incorrect and someone quote the penal code 400.00.now to bc1,instead of being neutral you seem to favor riffmaker.and being an instructor im surprized.in your classes i imagine you pay special attention to all the girls or maybe the cute young guys and theres nothing wrong with that.now for tj cubin you are wrong first read #15 then get back to me.i had a restricted drivers license. Iwas was allowed to drive to and from work only.i had to many moving violations.now for jim page.who are you to tell me i need an educated because riffmaker is wrong.alot of people add there 2cents doesnt mean there rite.we can settle this with 1 question and 1 answer. Can riffmaker carry conceal all the time like he said,except going to walmart at 11pm.he also said he can carry at work. A simple yes or no would help us all .thank you all for you time

yes, within the restrictions.

The letter is from the judge, who creates the restrictions. The license is a carry license with specific restrictions. The judge is the one who creates and interprets the restrictions; he is not "wrong".

No, hiking and fishing are recreational activities.

everyone was picking on me. now i asked a simple question and all i get is pure silence.ill ask again riffmaker said he can carry everywhere even work,he stated he couldnt go to walmart late at night is he rite or wrong?.

A concealed carry license in NYS authorizes the holder to carry a concealed weapon listed on the license.

The NYS Penal Laws prohibiting possession of a weapon do not apply to any weapon listed on the license holder's license.

Restrictions placed on a license by the issuing officer are administrative only. The issuing officer can revoke the license for violation of the restrictions, subject to due process and Article 78 review.

Someone with a restricted license can carry in Walmart or at work. However, if it comes to the attention of the issuing officer, they might have their license revoked if the issuing officer determines that they were violating the restrictions on their license and said violation warrants revocation of the license.

By they way, there is no such thing as a full conceal carry in most counties in NYS. Most issuing officers place restrictions on all license holders in the form a "notice sheet" issued with the permit. For example, with or without restrictions on your license in Erie County you get a "notice sheet" prohibiting concealed carry in Erie County Parks.

still no direct answer

so what your saying, that riffmaker was wrong about being able to carry full time on a restricted license.based on your statement that he could get in trouble if the judge found out .thank you for finally correcting riffmaker and proving me correct.i have a unrestricted ccw. im not alowed to carry in a court house does that mean its not a full carry.i dont think you even own a bb gun

The whole idea behind having a CCW is the 2nd "C" - concealed. If you get caught carrying outside restrictions, you pretty much deserve to get your permit pulled for doing something stupid enough to expose your weapon, or getting arrested where your weapon would be found on your person. Even if you're not arrested but you're patted/frisked - then you probably weren't using sound judgement by putting yourself in a situation where that would happen. I wouldn't want you carrying a firearm either.

I got my full carry permit in Monroe County. The only thing that came with it was a letter from the judge basically saying congrats and take the responsibility seriously.

And as for the comments about being a "Long Island wannabe"... well, I was born and raised there, left for college and never came back. Don't miss the place one bit and when I return to visit family I remember why I never came back as soon as I hit the 20 minute wait for the GWB tolls. Plus getting an unrestricted carry permit down there is next to impossible. They can keep their permitting process!

so what your saying, that riffmaker was wrong about being able to carry full time on a restricted license.based on your statement that he could get in trouble if the judge found out .thank you for finally correcting riffmaker and proving me correct.i have a unrestricted ccw. im not alowed to carry in a court house does that mean its not a full carry.i dont think you even own a bb gun

I never said that I would carry full time. Here is when I carry. Monday through Friday I work( remember I have an exception from the judge for work), so I carry all day during the week. On Saturday and Sunday I carry when Im fishing, hiking, camping or at the range. So basically I carry everyday. The times I cant carry are evenings when I am not doing anything recreational. So when I get home after work Monday - Friday, I dont carry if I leave the house to shop or have dinner or to visit a friend. Same goes for Saturday and Sunday. If I leave the house after my recreational activities, I dont carry. If I join a 24/7 range, I would carry to and from the range. Since I do work sometimes late at night, I may go to the range at 10pm. As I said before, my restrictions are very liberal so I can carry for most of the day everyday, but I will not jepordize my permit and carry outside my restrictions.

armed n rdy
No, we are not picking on you. We are pointing out that your statements were erroneous. Get the reference I suggested and read it. If you were not so adamant and reluctant to acknowledge an error, you would not feel picked on.

Just learn something and get over it.

If you merely mistated your point, admit it to yourself and move on. It's not a big deal to us, but we don't want your errors influencing people who might like some enlightenment.

you've strayed from the point. riffmaker stated that with his restricted ccw he carries all the time. it seems there no difference between his restricted ccw and mine.i simply ask that you correct him since your concerned about misinformation.

<sigh> This is the last time I bother with this stupidity you insist on. The restriction has no effect on whether it is legal to carry concealed! Court precedent clearly has made it NOT a criminal act to carry concealed while a "restriction" is on a licence to carrry. The issuing agent MAY revoke your license, but NO criminal charges ensue.

GOODBYE!

<sigh> This is the last time I bother with this stupidity you insist on. The restriction has no effect on whether it is legal to carry concealed! Court precedent clearly has made it NOT a criminal act to carry concealed while a "restriction" is on a licence to carrry. The issuing agent MAY revoke your license, but NO criminal charges ensue.

GOODBYE!
Jim. You have succinctly made your point but it's not getting across. You are absolutely correct. When carrying outsie of his restrictions he is exempt from criminal charges in accordance with S265.20(3) of the NYS Penal Law. Now, being a discretionary state a judge could suspend his permit for a while as punishment, but as you correctly stated, it is an administrative action, not criminal. In 12 years of instructing and providing permit services I've never seen a judge revoke the permit for carrying outside of restrictions unless the person was intoxicated or causing some type of altercation or incident while armed.

i understand what the law says . all i want is a straight answer riffmakers has a restricted ccw. he state he can carry 99% of the time.he also carrys to work.i dont want a quote from the law.just answer the question.yes or no.my license has no restrictions there has to be more of a differnce than going to walmart at night.i dont undserstand why cant i get a yes or no answer.are you afraid to tell me im rite.is riffmaker your freind or are you just anjother pretender on a gun site

@armed-an-rdy
You could care less about the laws you clearly just want to argue. You have been told umpteen times the truth yet think you are right. It's hard to take you serious the way you spell and I also think you are just a troll or a ten year old.

how rong yuo are. i dont want to argue i just want a straight anwser. this is the first time ive heard from you and your calling me names.so who is that wants to argue.and i still dont have a yes or no answer

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back