Anyone carry a .22?

Sorry for the criticism, but

why the heck would you guys carry a .22 pea shooter when you could carry something like a kel-tec p32. I could see a sub atomic caliber pistol getting you into trouble unless you were holding off a bare handed attacker. I can conceal the p32 in my bare boxers if i needed. Just seems fruitless.

My daughter and I were shooting my Marlin .22 rifle the other day. She was having a blast just pulling the trigger and blasting away rapid fire and I got to thinking that if there were a .22 handgun that could hold and reliably feed 20+ rounds it might make a potential self-defense weapon, particularly for the extremely recoil adverse. I was imagining myself on the receiving end of my daughter's onslaught, and I know 20 rounds of rapid fire .22 would certainly cause me to reorder my to-do list. And isn't that ultimately what defensive carry is all about, making the bad guy stop doing what he is doing?

My daughter and I were shooting my Marlin .22 rifle the other day. She was having a blast just pulling the trigger and blasting away rapid fire

Was she hitting anything on purpose ? If she were able to put all 15 or so rounds on a paper plate set at 7 yds in, say, 3 seconds, that'd be more meaningful regarding self defense.

I got to thinking that if there were a .22 handgun that could hold and reliably feed 20+ rounds it might make a potential self-defense weapon, particularly for the extremely recoil adverse.

Anything that someone can hit with is a "potential self defense weapon" but the larger you go, the better chance you have. If you cannot go larger, then the more precise you need to be. Quick shots on target are key, no matter what the caliber.

I was imagining myself on the receiving end of my daughter's onslaught, and I know 20 rounds of rapid fire .22 would certainly cause me to reorder my to-do list. And isn't that ultimately what defensive carry is all about, making the bad guy stop doing what he is doing?

But you're not some big burly, drugged up attacker bent on causing harm. As I just said, the smaller you go, the more precise you need to be. If a .22 is chosen for whatever reason, then face/throat shots would work much better than spraying a volley all over the place.

Killing is not the same as stopping. If one were able to put 20 rounds into a 350 lb guy named Bubba who's strung out on drugs, he well may die as a result...........but when? Before or after he rapes/kills the girl?

My general rule concerning a self defense gun: Go with the largest caliber you can control.

(I may start a thread about what "control" means.....)

.22 is the cause of more deaths than any other caliber in the world...

Maybe..........but so what ?

I don't care if I KILL the guy, but I DO care if I STOP the guy from doing the thing that I'm shooting him for in the first place.

It's all about STOPPING the badguy. If I use a .22 and he dies 10 minutes after he's killed me, it might be added to the statistical chart, but I'm still dead !

I carry the Beretta Tomcat in the picture below sometimes. It is a .32. I bought it the day I was taking my concealed carry class, didn't know much other than I liked Beretta at the time. I do REALLY like this little gun. I grew up shooting a small .22 Beretta pretty much just like it. It was my fathers.

I only carry it if there is some reason I cannot carry my Glock 26 or 23 in my IWB. Or I'll throw it in my pocket or ankle as a backup weapon. I don't carry it as backup as much since I've been in Florida and been pretty much shorts and flip flops!

Link Removed

I briefly carried my Walther P 22 when my Kahr PM 9 had to back for repair. It just happened to fit the El Cheapo Kahr holster I had for the Kahr.

Now the Kahr runs like a well oiled sewing machine and I have a custom made UBG IWB for it, so no more .22 carry.

One of these small gun mfg. came out with a 380/32 which sounds like a hot round.

I didn't see where anyone answered your question so I will. It's called the 32 NAA and is made for NNA pistols.

Link Removed

It's only loaded by Cor-bon and costs about a buck a round. I'm sure that a 380 ACP would be a better choice.

I've been using for a ccw the TAURUS PT25. Fits fine IWB, and I'm use to it. Next will be the C9 in a FOBUS holster. That I'm going to have to get use too!

When I don't want to lug around my SA XD .45 I strap on my Walther P22. It is far more accurate than the .45 but it is less reliable and it beats having nothing. Also as somebody mentioned earlier, it is illegal to carry anything other than a .22 on an North Carolina gameland.

I have enough handguns to carry anything from a .22 to a .44 Mag. At most times I carry my S&W Md. 469 in 9 M.M. But I have been known to carry my wife's S&W Md.63 in .22 Cal that I replaced the 4" bbl with a 2" bbl

Yes I am more then compentent with any handgun that I shoot to feel safe at close range for a killing shot with the Md. # 63 in .22 cal.
Bill :pleasantry:

Last edited:
My understanding is that a nice .22lr subsonic in a nice supressed weapon is the carry of choice for many professional assasins, however if your not planning on getting into the biz professionally, then as noted a .380 which is smaller and lighter is probably the better choice.

Personally I have a Kel-Tec P-3AT and a Ruger LCP w/laser as carry guns

I personally wouldn't carry a 22 just for the fact that as was mentioned before if/when you were to have to actually use it in a live/die situation you probably wouldn't have the time to make the shot needed to stop the attacker & if he's juiced up on something you may only get 1 or 2 shots off and a gut shot from a 22 is not going to faze the attacker. If I get into this situation I want the attacker stopped & the threat removed without having to think about placing my shot in his heart/head.

My understanding is that a nice .22lr subsonic in a nice supressed weapon is the carry of choice for many professional assasins

Many sources verify this. Mossad in particular used Beretta .22s during the 70s. Seemed to work for them.

My BUG / alternate carry is a Walther P22, mostly because I can't find a Beretta 87 anyplace.

Many sources verify this. Mossad in particular used Beretta .22s during the 70s. Seemed to work for them.

My BUG / alternate carry is a Walther P22, mostly because I can't find a Beretta 87 anyplace.

Don't think it was for police work. AFAIK, minimum caliber for LE use is a .25 auto, and this was only in EXTREMELY special circumstances. Back in the day, minimum caliber used was .38 special.

gf

Don't think it was for police work. AFAIK, minimum caliber for LE use is a .25 auto, and this was only in EXTREMELY special circumstances. Back in the day, minimum caliber used was .38 special.

gf

Mossad wasn't doing police work :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back