Anybody heard about Constitutional Carry in Mississippi?

fstroupe

Was talking to a guy I grew up with, retired Captain from Southaven PD, now professor of forensic investigation at University of Memphis. He informed me that the state legislature cleaned up the language of the Mississippi Code, making the previously questionable open carry legal. He gave me a date that it takes effect, I don't remember but it is pretty soon.:yes4::yes4::yes4::yes4::yes4:

This means constitutional carry.....no permit necessary. He said that the governor pushed for this. The weapon must be in the open, covered by a coat it is considered concealed....requiring a permit.

Link Removed

JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - Law enforcement agencies around the state are educating their officers on the new open carry weapons law, which is known as House Bill 2. It has been approved by both houses of the Mississippi Legislature and signed by the governor.
The new law allows any Mississippian, who is not otherwise disqualified, to openly carry a gun, with or without a permit. A permit is still required if the weapon is concealed.
The author of the legislation Rep. Andy Gipson of Braxton says it simply makes clear what has been the law of the state since the 1890 constitution was approved.
"In the 28 states which have this open carry already, have not had any problems with it," said Gipson. "In fact they have seen crime go down. Because the bad guys already have guns, and this bill allows the good law abiding citizens to carry guns in a way that would protect themselves, their families and their property."
Madison attorney Andy Taggert, who also is a political commentator for WLBT on Red Blue Review, thinks the new law is good.
"I think the Mississippi constitution already made it legal to strap on a six shooter, and walk down the main street," said Taggert. "What this statute does is make it very clear, effective July one."
Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey, who says he is a strong supporter of the second amendment and the right of law abiding citizens to carry firearms, is concerned about the safety of his officers and their understanding of the new law.
"The only thing is when you make the weapon easily accessible, and then you come in, you know a domestic situation, alcohol or drugs, it could be very dangerous for officers," said Bailey.
Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Yep it's a law HB2 that makes the constitution readable. Go figure!! Why can't they ever put $h!t in black and white and quit writing laws that can't be interpreted? Congrats MS! Not sure if it's enough to ever bring me back to my home state but it's great to see they are making hay while the sun's shining.

The bill basically serves to clarify the language regarding the carrying of a concealed weapon. Before the bill was signed we had no regulations against open carry but concealed carry could be regulated. So the way open carry was kept out was by using the language "in whole or in part." If the gun was covered in any way, shape, or form you had to follow the conceal carry laws. So the "in whole or in part" language was interpreted by some judge to mean that even if the gun was hanging on a lanyard around your neck then technically part of it was still covered.

HB2 gets rid of that clause so there is no official regulation on open carry. Since the MS constitution does not disallow any type of carry then according to the official language it is not a criminal act, ergo it becomes legal.

One of the other benefits of the bill is that it covers accidental exposure also. There is no brandishing law here in MS but previously if you exposed accidentally you could be cited with some other misdemeanor if the issue was pressed. This bill takes care of that.

Overall I think the bill is a good thing. Personally I will still choose to stay concealed. In MS we have a "enhanced carry" endorsement that allows us to legally carry in almost all places listed as still off limits to normal permit holders. With that endorsement I can carry almost anywhere I go concealed. If I open carry then everywhere I go everyone who sees me knows I'm carrying so I would be forced to obey no gun signs. So even a person with no CFL can carry openly but they HAVE to obey the regulations of the area they are in.

Now I know that some of you would argue that any place that has a no gun signs should be avoided and I should not give them my business but I figure if I'm carrying quietly and safely the way I'm supposed to then it's my business and no one else's and if I get in a situation where I have to draw my weapon at a restaurant or other business the last thing I'm going to be worried about is whether they have a gun buster sign at their front door.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back