Anybody have to deal with overly jumpy cops

Zebowtie

USMC Semper Fi
Has this happened to you?
Awhile ago I was pulled over for speeding maybe 10 miles over at the most on a main road at 2 in the afternoon with my wife. The police officer came to the window. I had already had my hands on the wheel. He asked for my license and insurance nice and politely. I gave him my license, insurance and ccw cards together.When he seen the ccw license his whole demeanor changed. He then asked if the weapon was in the vehicle I told him it was and where it was. Then his hand went to his snap on his weapon. I remained calm not understanding his reaction. I ask him what he wanted to do to help relieve his "stress". He walked backwards to his car with his hand still on his weapon reached into his car and radioed. He stood behind his door for what seemed 30 min. but was closer to 10 min. never taking his hand off his weapon. With this going on I was running though what must be wrong ,or what I did wrong, was it mistaken identity. Believe me I don't even have three speeding tickets in my whole life and they are the worst run in with the police I've ever had. My wife was scared and at the time I had no power to help her. Then after an eternity a second police car with lights and sirens came sliding up across the street. The police officer jumped out behind his door with his weapon partly drawn he stood watching me like I was going to, I don't know turn into a pumpkin. I had no idea why he was so intense. Then the original officer walked up to my window had me sign my ticket gave it to me and let me go. Is that standard operations? I've not been pulled over since and it has me a little nervous. Should I filed a grievance? I had no proof other than my wife. I truly felt like a criminal.
Sorry so long winded.
What would you have done?

You did everything you're supposed to do. Be aware that there are some LEO in the world that don't seem to understand that in certain places it's legal for "citizens" aka "civilians" to have a permit to carry a concealed firearm. Some LEO were raised in places where firearms are severely restricted (like here in Hawaii). :icon_sad: If this is the case, the LEO will often be more "jumpy" than a LEO that has been around firearms and understands that there are many "civilians" who legally carry their firearms. These "jumpy" LEO don't realize that a BG isn't going to voluntarily tell you that he/she has a gun and where it's located. You'll have to excuse these types of LEO until they learn that most of the "civilians" who have a CCW, CPL, CFL, etc. are "law abiding citizens" and pose no threat to them.

gf

I'd call the department and talk to someone in charge and ask them what their policy was on traffic stops and people with a CCW. I'd then explain how I was treated. It may be just a case of the Dept needing to educate some of their Officers.

I would have also contacted the department. I don't know that I actually would have filed a grievance, but I would have let his superiors know how he treated me.

I make regular trips into Florida and west to Arizona. While I have met some careful officers I can't say that I've run into any nervous, or jumpy, ones. If I'm carrying, I always notify the officer (even if I don't have to). I do this even at road stops where they're checking for seat belt use, or for what ever reason, and ask to see a drivers license. I did have one apparent rookie call a supervisor over and he looked at the identification, told me to have a nice day and I was on my way.

I 'might' understand their policy a little more if the responding car didn't arrive code red! How many people were put into jepardy due to him coming lights and siren?

Even with that, semi reaching for his weapon and taking cover behind a car door does come across a really, really jumpy.

Aftermath

After this happened I had a talk with my wife and asked her to tell me what happened in her words without my input. I just wanted to see if her recounting was the same as mine. She did see the same things that I had seen. I had her do this to see if I was just tainting things do to my anger. Don't get me wrong I respect police and I don't think I could do it. Walking up to every car stop thinking it might be the last thing you do has got to be tough. I would not have changed anything I did, thinking back I don't think it was anything I did to make it happen any way. It made my wife nervous she has since gotten her ccw license but she questions herself on when to carry more than I think she should. Law abiding citizens should not worry the bad guys should.

I wouldn’t worry about the reaction of the second officer, he was just responding to the “call for backup”. The “jumpiness” was on the part of the first officer and, yes, I would call the department. I would not lodge a complaint but I would call and speak with a supervisor just so that they are aware of their officer’s discomfort with what could be a common occurrence, depending on where it happened.

As the trend for people to get a Concealed Carry Permit, or whatever your state calls it, increases the odds of an officer encountering a legally armed citizen increases and it is important, for them as well as us, that the officers involved understand that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Here in Texas I have been stoped perhaps 6 0r more times while carrying and never had that happen. I think contacting the polkce dept. and let them know what happened would be in order. His job is a stressful job but I feel he over reacted in a big way.

Last edited:
What STATE did this happen in ?

In that state, is it REQUIRED that CCW holders inform LEO at stops that they have a CCW and is carrying ?

I say call the police department AND file a complaint.That is rediculous and their is no excuse for it.Either the guy had bad or insufficient training and shouldn't have been on the street,or he was an idiot and should not be a cop.I too have respect for police officers,most of them,anyway.And I agree that it is a job that I don't want.But this kind of treatment is inexcuseable.

This took place in Nevada

It was a county cop shop.I don't want to get more specific, as most if not all of the cops are cool. I did talk to a Sergeant. Told him that I wasn't there to raise heck I just wanted to let some one know what was going on. We talked for awhile, nice guy. He was nice enough to get back to me and let me know that the deputy was no longer with, them not fired just moved on. The only part that was good was that it had to be explained why he needed back up to arrive so quickly as it was not a felony stop. As I had done nothing wrong I guess he had some explaining to do. The Sergeant did assure me that they do have complete training fordealing ccw holders and they normally handle this situations differently. If I was to have any more problems to call dispatch and tell them what is happening and for them to start a report then go into the sheriffs office and complete the report. I thank you all for your input.

Next time, if the cop does not ask for your CCW or does not ask if you HAVE A CCW, DON'T OFFER

a lot of cops, my cop relative also, tells me, they do not want any additional complication or worries when they stop someone

some cops also will look at you as a show-off

join any pro-cop forum and ask if you should present your CC permit without being asked in a state that does not require it and you'll see where I'm coming from .

Your CCW is linked to your Drivers Permit in Ohio, and you must tell the LEO when you are stopped. It comes back that you have one when it is called in. So if you don’t tell you can get in deep Well you know what. Sucks but it is the law.

Your CCW is linked to your Drivers Permit in Ohio, and you must tell the LEO when you are stopped. It comes back that you have one when it is called in. So if you don’t tell you can get in deep Well you know what. Sucks but it is the law.

Actually it is not a law in every state. TN does not require that you inform if you are stopped. They do, however, strongly recommend that you do. As you said, in TN the permit is linked to my drivers license, so I assume the LEO would find out anyway. I would rather be the one that tells him.

I didn't know that CCW permits could be linked to our driver's licenses. Of course, I had never really thought about it.

I was wondering where I might learn this information for my home state, New Mexico. Also, I do a lot of driving in Texas and am wondering the same thing (Got pulled over in Texas this weekend with three guns in vehicle, did not mention CCW since guns were locked away).

I didn't know that CCW permits could be linked to our driver's licenses. Of course, I had never really thought about it.

I was wondering where I might learn this information for my home state, New Mexico. Also, I do a lot of driving in Texas and am wondering the same thing (Got pulled over in Texas this weekend with three guns in vehicle, did not mention CCW since guns were locked away).

If you live in Texas and have a CHL it will show up when they run you drivers licence.

I gave him my license, insurance and ccw cards together.When he seen the ccw license his whole demeanor changed. He then asked if the weapon was in the vehicle I told him it was and where it was. Then his hand went to his snap on his weapon. I remained calm not understanding his reaction. I ask him what he wanted to do to help relieve his "stress". He walked backwards to his car with his hand still on his weapon reached into his car and radioed.
OMG! I've got a legal CWP holder in his own car, and HE HAS PROPER ID! WHAT are we going to do? :unsure: Call the SWAT team! It's a standoff!

That guy sounds like a nut. If he overreacts during a routine stop, I'd hate to see what he does with an actual dangerous criminal. He probably should have chosen another line of work.

Required or not, I'm going to give my permit to every cop that stops me for any reason. As long as you don't seem suspicious, they shouldn't give it a second thought. Act unassuming and you will typically be treated as such.

I'd be more afraid if I were the cop and ran the guy's info and it came back that he had a CCW and didn't tell me. It would make me wonder if he's one of those radical nut cases that has multiple firearms on his person in every imaginable location, that would give me a really bit "fight" should he be arrested for something.

The info I have (first hand directly from current LEO in the FIELD) is that the best thing to do if you are carrying, and in a state that requires a CCW, then it's a good idea to provide your CCW along with your photo ID and any other paperwork that the officer requests. Properly trained officers will be respectful and treat you properly. They don't consider a legal, law abiding citizen a threat if he's honest and tells you up front that he's carrying and where the firearms are located. :wink:

gf

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back