Anybody ever use cross draw for OC or CC before?

I have to admit although I primarily CC I have always wanted to OC.

So I have two s&w 357 mags one a 4 inch the other a 6 inch.

I have been experimenting with the 4 inch with OC around the house with cross draw. It is very comfortable especially when I sit down.

The butt of the gun is a perfect arm rest for my left hand. Its position makes protecting the gun from easy grap simple.

Also crossdraw seems to be easier than I thought it would be.

Any helpful hints? Experiences?

I just started carrying my LCP in an OWB pancake holster cross draw. It seems a lot more comfortable and is easier access when sitting. I also don't need my belt as tight to prevent printing.

I have open carried cross-draw, even bought a retention holster for my 1911s to do it.

There are some risks with cross-draw to be aware of. It would be easier for an attacker to pin the gun against you vs strong-side carry. With strong-side, you can rotate away from the attacker and straight-arm them with your left, while your right draws the gun. With cross-draw you have to rotate your gun side toward your attacker to use your left arm (while drawing with your right).

I always cross draw CC when driving on long trips. Strong side carry the majority of time. Experts will tell you to strong side carry as you can begin putting shots on a BG as soon as you come out of the holster when in a close quarters situation.

Cross draw isn't bad if you're going to be seated for long periods of time, like on a road trip, but it does have disadvantages both in retention in an up close and personal confrontation, and generally in that you have to sweep your barrel across more space to get to your sight picture, increasing your time to get on target and likelihood of putting a round where it shouldn't go.

I busted my arm up a few weeks ago and had to use my pocket rocket (P22) for a while because I'm only ambidextrous with smaller calibers. I have a canted leather tagua owb holster for it and ended up just putting it on backwards for a weak side crossdraw. It was really uncomfortable but it worked. I usually OC, but I chose to CC for a while because I couldn't even turn my wrist. A week later, my sparring partner accidentally popped my elbow back in which cured me lol Feels good to have my gun on the right way now!

a bit to add to dekul34's post: Some people prefer to square off against a percieved threat by turning sideways and keeping the gun to the rear, but I could see it working with crossdraw if you had a forward cant. You'd also be presenting a smaller target and be quicker to move sideways (get off the X)...martial artists might also prefer this stance....just a few thoughts.

I have a Sig 229, which I thought would be much smaller then it actually is once it's holstered. Having said that, I figured screw it, might as well just OC it and see how I like it (I love this Sig). Anyways, I decided to try out a crossdraw from wright leather works. This holster is awesome! Still definitely only wearable as an open carry. I highly recommend trying it out, for those who haven't

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OC or CC, winter or summer, dress up or shorts & T-shirt, my 1911 .45 or S&W M60 .357 is always carried in a K.L. Null "Vampire" cross-draw holster. Sitting, standing, walking, driving, you name it, the "Vampire" is perfect carry for any occasion.

I'm going to state first and foremost, carry the way you like best, feels most comfortable, and you have trained well with.

With that idea in mind.. I want you to follow the muzzle of your barrel when you cross draw and then follow the muzzle when you draw from let's say 3 or 4 o'clock.

If you are ok with that, then continue. Most don't like the idea of sweeping a muzzle to get on target.

If you are carrying two... one on each side of you, I would presume, I would try learning to draw with each hand instead.

Thanks for the reference. I just ordered one from Wright. A 10 to 12 week interval, but these look like nice holsters.

I always cross draw CC when driving on long trips. Strong side carry the majority of time. Experts will tell you to strong side carry as you can begin putting shots on a BG as soon as you come out of the holster when in a close quarters situation.
I'm not so sure about that. Appendix carry is generally faster than strong side carry according to what I understand.

I'm going to state first and foremost, carry the way you like best, feels most comfortable, and you have trained well with.

With that idea in mind.. I want you to follow the muzzle of your barrel when you cross draw and then follow the muzzle when you draw from let's say 3 or 4 o'clock.

If you are ok with that, then continue. Most don't like the idea of sweeping a muzzle to get on target.

If you are carrying two... one on each side of you, I would presume, I would try learning to draw with each hand instead.

It seems to me if you are carrying at 10-11 o'clock (right handed) that you sweep no body parts if you clear your left arm before you rotate up.

It seems to me if you are carrying at 10-11 o'clock (right handed) that you sweep no body parts if you clear your left arm before you rotate up.

I'm not talking about sweeping the muzzle across yourself, I'm talking about sweeping a large angle of anyone else in front of you. When you draw from strong side, you only sweep the ground in front of you and the target. When you draw cross, you must sweep an area out before you are on target. It's that area, that may have innocents in the way that you must think about.

I don't consider crossdraw a safe or practical way to carry. JMHO

A lot of European officers carry using cross draw holsters, and research shows than almost none of them are killed or injured by their own weapons. Alternatively, there are a lot of American LEOs who have had their weapons taken from them and used against them.

Also, I can get the weapon out of the holster with either hand using a cross draw holster, but it's almost impossible for me to get my left hands on the weapon when it's at 4 o'clock.

I figure the most likely way I'll encounter a threat is if someone walks into a store with guns blazing, or someone jumps me and tries to get the gun. In the first scenario, I would duck down, orient myself to the threat, draw, and fire. In the second, I would have to fend them off, but they would be able to get the gun o out of the holster unless they used their right arm across my body (which would keep them from being able to strike and hives me qm open opportunity to subdue them a number of ways).

I really see cross draw as a very smart way to go. At restaurants, I can begin my draw before I even stand up, taking away any chance of me being targeted before I can shot back.

Question for you: what are your thoughts on shoulder holsters? I feel like cross draw is exactly as safe as a shoulder holster, but easier to get to and less noticeable.

Thanks for the reference. I just ordered one from Wright. A 10 to 12 week interval, but these look like nice holsters.

I'm glad to help! My Wright holster works really well. Not very concealable, but it fits great! A summer jacket and you'd be fine.

Nope, to awkward. I don't train that way and there is no way to get ready to draw without it being very noticeable if you think something may go bad.

Nope, to awkward. I don't train that way and there is no way to get ready to draw without it being very noticeable if you think something may go bad.

It's awkward BECAUSE you don't train that way, and I'd say it's just as obvious(if not more obvious) when people prepare to draw fr a strong side holster...

It's awkward BECAUSE you don't train that way, and I'd say it's just as obvious(if not more obvious) when people prepare to draw fr a strong side holster...

There is never a time where crossing your body with your arm is more obvious than somebody moving their hand a couple inches behind where it naturally rests.

There is never a time where crossing your body with your arm is more obvious than somebody moving their hand a couple inches behind where it naturally rests.

The difference being I don't have to lean forward or stand up and attract attention to myself when I'm sitting down to reach my weapon. A strong side holster would force me to do those things and make it much more obvious that I'm preparing to fire.

Also, I say cross draw is less obvious because it's so much less common. Most people think of holsters as being strong side, and criminals are probably even less aware of something like a threat with a cross draw holster on.

In any case, how "obvious" a cross draw is is irrelevant, because you should conceal yourself prior to deholstering (unless you're Raylan Givens or something). If you're in the immediate cross hairs of a threat, your first concern should be avoiding taking fire...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back