Any WA residents gotten a Nonresident Oregon concealed weapons permit?

dmkolb

Are there any WA residents who have gone and gotten a Nonresident Oregon concealed weapons permit? If so what county did you apply? I know Oregon individual Sheriff's Depts. can issue nonresident concealed carry permits to surrounding states of Oregon. My question is which counties close to the Washington/ Oregon border issue regularly or have no problems issuing a permit for Oregon to a Washington resident? I ask because it's completely up to the Sheriff and I'd hate to make a trip to OR fill out all the paper work and then have the Sheriff decide to not issue just for the hell of it. I have read Josephine county is very friendly and receptive to nonresident concealed permits but that's one heck of a drive from Snohomish, County in WA. If that's the only one I guess I'll have to suck it up and make a trip but hoping there are other counties just as welling that are closer to me.

Are there any WA residents who have gone and gotten a Nonresident Oregon concealed weapons permit? If so what county did you apply? I know Oregon individual Sheriff's Depts. can issue nonresident concealed carry permits to surrounding states of Oregon. My question is which counties close to the Washington/ Oregon border issue regularly or have no problems issuing a permit for Oregon to a Washington resident? I ask because it's completely up to the Sheriff and I'd hate to make a trip to OR fill out all the paper work and then have the Sheriff decide to not issue just for the hell of it. I have read Josephine county is very friendly and receptive to nonresident concealed permits but that's one heck of a drive from Snohomish, County in WA. If that's the only one I guess I'll have to suck it up and make a trip but hoping there are other counties just as welling that are closer to me.

I am an Idaho resident who obtained an Oregon non-resident permit earlier this year.... I went to Grant County.. depending on where you are in Washington, it's a decent drive. I have been told that Umatilla County is pretty good at issuing, but Grant County will issue as long as you meet the criteria, pass the background, etc.

Since I was looking at a 4 hour drive to Umatilla for a "maybe" or a 7 hour drive to Grant County for a for sure thing, I drove the extra bit :yu:

BTW, all the employees I dealt with in Grant County were very friendly and helpful..the whole process was great and I had the permit in under two weeks.

Well I have a pretty much for sure will issue for Josephine and Grant county then. Both of which are pretty far. Hopefully I'll hear a few others that are closer do as well.

I live in the south eastern washington. I went to Pendleton (Umatilla County)for my Oregon Permit. It was pretty easy. I told them that I transport Cash through their county with my business (which I do) and they had no problem giving me a permit.

I live in Vancouver(Clark County), WA, and have an Oregon CHL as well as my Washington license.

Non-residents desiring an Oregon license have to write a letter stating a credible reason as to why they would like one. This would be to the Sheriff of the county where they plan to apply. Also, they must attend an in-Oregon on gun safety and Oregon laws.

The Multnomah(Portland) County Sheriff's Office web site has a section on the CHL process. That's where I got my CHL. They were quite friendly during the twenty or so minutes I was there for printing and taking a photo. They also hold classes on Tuesday evenings for a fee of $40.00. But any Oregon-recognized class certification is acceptable.

Oregon is a SHALL ISSUE state but non-resident licenses are at the discretion of the various sheriffs. I believe Marion(Salem) County Sheriff does NOT issue them.

If anyone has any questions on this matter email me at [email protected] as I don't come to this site very much.

Earl

Oops

I should have written "...an in-Oregon class..."

Also, the Multnomah County Sheriff site is Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Portland, Oregon .

Earl

I live in Vancouver(Clark County), WA, and have an Oregon CHL as well as my

Washington license.

Non-residents desiring an Oregon license have to write a letter stating a credible reason as to why they would like one. This would be to the Sheriff of the county where they plan to apply. Also, they must attend an in-Oregon on gun safety and Oregon laws.

The Multnomah(Portland) County Sheriff's Office web site has a section on the CHL process. That's where I got my CHL. They were quite friendly during the twenty or so minutes I was there for printing and taking a photo. They also hold classes on Tuesday evenings for a fee of $40.00. But any Oregon-recognized class certification is acceptable.

Oregon is a SHALL ISSUE state but non-resident licenses are at the discretion of the various sheriffs. I believe Marion(Salem) County Sheriff does NOT issue them.

If anyone has any questions on this matter email me at [email protected] as I don't come to this site very much.

Earl

Sheriff Palmer in Grant county will issue a CHL to Washington residents.
You can take this Maryland online handgun course and it will suffice for the training requirement. Link Removed

Fill out his forms, pay the fee, provide a copy of the training and in about 2 weeks you will have your license to carry.

Sheriff Palmer also visits the Vancouver/Portland area to issue licenses. Call his office to check his schedule.

GRANT COUNTY SHERIFF
205 S HUMBOLT
CANYON CITY, OR 97820
PH1: 541-575-1131

I just did a Utah CCW course today and the instructor mentioned that the Utah Class suffices for Oregon. He gave us a certificate and mentioned that we need to have it and a copy of our Utah curriculum for application.

I don't know if you need the signed certificate we received, it's probably just course proof that is required.

Oregon does NOT recognize any carry permit except their own. Follow the advice above and go for the Grant county Sheriff . Oregon does not recognize Utahs permit yet. I`m told there is a reciprocity proposal at this time in the state senate but not yet in committee. Let`s hope it gains support.

I just took the class from Friday Harbor Gun Runners. The class is good for Oregon. Talk to JB and get into a class. He does both Utah and Oregon.

I am heading down to Oregon on Monday to get fingerprinted and photographed for my OR permit. Live in Seattle WA area. Have talked to the Sherrifs office in Portland a couple of times and they have been extremely helpful. Took my training in AZ for the AZ permit and that is acceptable for the OR permit also. Have friends who have also done Portland (Multnomah) Sherrifs CCW application process and received thier permits with no problems. - G

I live on the I-5 corridor just below Chehalis - went to columbia county sheriff in St. Helens. A extremely professional office and were glad to help.

The Oregon Legislature is working on recognizing licenses from any other state.

I think I'll renew my OR CHL when it's due because it is a picture ID. The WA license is a flimsy paper thing.

Oregon does NOT recognize any carry permit except their own. Follow the advice above and go for the Grant county Sheriff . Oregon does not recognize Utahs permit yet. I`m told there is a reciprocity proposal at this time in the state senate but not yet in committee. Let`s hope it gains support.

Hi, I have a OR CHL. I live in Wa also. I got mine from Sheriff Palmer in Grant county. He is a great guy and there was no problem. OR requires a Handgun safty course so he told me to go to an online course that took 10 min to do and then print your deploma. I think it was maine or RI that the course is. Very quick and easy. When asked why I wanted it, I just said "self defence" you dont need to write a book on why :) I also like reading your posts Navy. I am ex Navy also. I find most of your postings to be right to the point and I like that. I may not always agree but but people dont always agree with me.

I read on another forum from a Washington resident who applied for a non-resident in Washington County*. His application was summarily denied, with a letter stating that Washington County no longer issues non-resident CHLs.

On the other hand, I have heard from someone who applied to Multnomah County in December, with compelling reason of just "self-defense", and it was approved. But Multnomah County will only accept non-resident applications from residents of Washington state, so those from Idaho, Nevada, or California are better off applying to Grant County. (Who also accepts just "self-defense" as a valid compelling reason.)

*(for out-of-staters, Washington County is the County just to the West of Portland's Multnomah County, and contains the large suburbs of Beaverton and Hillsboro - the homes of Nike and Intel's largest campuses. It also borders Washington state.)

Extremely helpful information, thanks all. (Just completed the linked MD certification because why not.) I was hoping to get an OR and IA permit, as those are the places I travel. Though IA will honor my WA permit, there are a handful of states that honor IA and not WA permits. Might as well collect them all! =)

--
Peace. ~G

I have an Oregon concealed carry license issued out of Multnomah, County, OR. I've had it for 9 years. Can I carry legally when I travel over to Vancouver, Washington?

I have an Oregon concealed carry license issued out of Multnomah, County, OR. I've had it for 9 years. Can I carry legally when I travel over to Vancouver, Washington?

Yes you can. However, the gun cannot be loaded while inside a vehicle and cannot be concealed on the person whether inside or outside the vehicle, loaded or unloaded. Loaded open carry outside a vehicle is perfectly legal.

RCW 9.41.050:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back