Any Traveling Tips?

marlin.357

New guy here, still waiting for my Florida CWL, but trying to get prepared.

There's plenty of information on how to transport a handgun where a CWL is not valid, and plenty of information on how to carry concealed, but little, at least I haven't found much, on how/when to transition from carrying to transporting and vice versa.

Do you stop at the last rest stop and secure the weapon? Or on the last day in a real "free state" do you stow it before leaving?

Looking for some "how I do it's".

Thanks!

When I must become a disarmed victim, I stop close to the border and secure the handgun according to the laws of the state I will be entering. When I may protect myself and my family again I stop as soon as possible upon entering a state respectful of my rights and rearm. I do this several times a month traveling between here and CA. I much prefer my travels to AZ and UT as I don't have to disarm there.

Hey, marlin.357...

NDS has given you about the only way I know to LEGALY do it!

Welcome to the show!!!

I think I understand the legalities, to do it legally requires unloading and securing the gun and ammo in separate containers in an inaccessible area of the vehicle, typically the trunk.

I'm asking HOW do you go about transferring the gun from a holster to storage or vice versa without it being obvious to the casual observer at a rest stop or a Mickey D's parking lot.

Are there some tricks of the trade? I just don't want to frighten the horses as the saying goes... :biggrin:

I think I understand the legalities, to do it legally requires unloading and securing the gun and ammo in separate containers in an inaccessible area of the vehicle, typically the trunk.

I'm asking HOW do you go about transferring the gun from a holster to storage or vice versa without it being obvious to the casual observer at a rest stop or a Mickey D's parking lot.

Are there some tricks of the trade? I just don't want to frighten the horses as the saying goes... :biggrin:
Some of my crossings are on busy interstates and some are rural county highways. For the interstates, I take the last off-ramp and find the empty corner of a parking lot or down the road and off to the side. If there's a bunch of cars driving by I'll wait until they pass and look both ways. Then I go to the rear of my vehicle and remove the handgun 'discreetly' -- recall that I'm still in a state where carrying is legal. I then put it in the case and lock it in the trunk (if I have a trunk -- plan ahead) Even CA doesn't require 'separate containers' but some cops think it does. So your care is prudent.
Rural highways are easy. Pull over and walk to the back of your car, you'll rarely have to wait for a break in traffic at all. For rearming you'll act similarly.

Most people today are so oblivious to the world around them they probably wouldn't even recognize you had a handgun unless you stuck it right in their face and waited for comprehension to dawn...

(I was attending CSUF when Allaway killed 7 in the library. Nobody realized they were hearing gun shots and one witness thought the rifle was an umbrella. Never underestimate the stupidity of the public.)

When I have to put away before entering an unfriendly state, I place the "unloaded" gun in a gun case while in the car, then place the gun case(rug) in an old brief case - put the briefcase in the trunk until you reach a friendly state again. Then get your briefcase out of the trunk and to the front seat and re-arm yourself (keep the gun and loading below the dash level so passing trucks can't see what you are doing).

Most people don't pay much attendtion to folks moving a breifcase to the trunk, but make sure you do not do this where bad guys can observe you then break in to your trunk. I've seen folks pull up to a shopping mall, put something in the trunk and then go shopping. Gee, why do you think someone broke into your trunk while you were gone?

All of the above is good and useful information. Just one note. I have it found helpful when taveling to and through "unfriendly ", states to call ahead to that states highway patrol office and inform them of my travel plans to or through their state. Ask for the highest ranked OFFICER on duty, you don't want to speak to a dispatcher, and inform him that you possess a firearm and have a permit stating your right to carry. I then ask him / her how it is they would like my weapon transported through their state. Be sure to get his / her name, rank, badge # and direct phone number, this way if you get stopped by some 18 yr. old trooper and he / she decides that you're in violation of state law, you have his boss's info handy and you've CYA. I've never had any issues when using this method and have always been met with professionalism and courtesy.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back