Any Problems With This CC Location?

fdegree

I am new to CC, so let me know if I am way of base with my thoughts on this. I realize that the location for carrying is a personal preference, but I haven't seen anyone discuss what I'm thinking...or perhaps I've just missed it.

I am right-handed and I'm considering carrying at the 4 - 5 o'clock position, inside the waistband. OK, that part is not unheard of. What I haven't seen discussed is drawing the weapon with the right hand, by placing the hand between your back and the gun, palm outward...back of hand on your back. Same hand position as if you were tucking your shirt into the back of your pants. This would require a left-handed holster, I believe.

I hope I wrote this so it is easy to understand.

Is there any disadvantage to this approach?

So the muzzle is down and the grip is facing toward the front of your body - if I'm picturing what you're describing correctly?

Some small-of-the-back holsters are designed for a similar draw method, but they're not generally IWB.

I guess since I'm not sure of the position of the gun as you're describing it, I'm not sure of the advantages for a "palm out" draw.

It would seem to put a difficult twist in your arm, especially with a 4" or longer barrel. Also, I carry IWB at 4 o'clock, there's room for my thumb between my torso and the grip, but I'd hate to try and get my fingers in that same spot if the pistol was turned "butt forward". Especially in a SHTF, get-it-out-quick situation.

So the muzzle is down and the grip is facing toward the front of your body - if I'm picturing what you're describing correctly?

Yes, the muzzle would be down and the grip facing forward or toward the right hip.

I guess since I'm not sure of the position of the gun as you're describing it, I'm not sure of the advantages for a "palm out" draw.

I'm not sure there is any real advantage. I'm wondering if there is a disadvantage that I may be overlooking.

Thanks...

I am new to CC, so let me know if I am way of base with my thoughts on this. I realize that the location for carrying is a personal preference, but I haven't seen anyone discuss what I'm thinking...or perhaps I've just missed it.

I am right-handed and I'm considering carrying at the 4 - 5 o'clock position, inside the waistband. OK, that part is not unheard of. What I haven't seen discussed is drawing the weapon with the right hand, by placing the hand between your back and the gun, palm outward...back of hand on your back. Same hand position as if you were tucking your shirt into the back of your pants. This would require a left-handed holster, I believe.

I hope I wrote this so it is easy to understand.

Is there any disadvantage to this approach?

Welcome to the site and congrats on your CCW too - :dance3:

From my own experience I would not recommend SOB. Last winter while carring strong side I slipped on ice and landed square on my lower back. If I had been carrying SOB my injuries probably would have been quite severe. As it was I still only hurt for a couple of days. Do yourself a favor and find a position other than "SOB" (small of back).

The more I think about it...it may be difficult to get any clothing (untucked shirt, jacket, etc) out of the way with the hand in that position.

Practice, practice, practice and your answers may just reveal themselves :dance3:

I would be weary about pointing the weapon at my torso while unholstering. That could be an accident waiting to happen IMHO.

It is my experience that you will decide that such a draw is uncomfortable at best. I started carrying SOB, and in about 3 days of driving & sitting, I thought better of it. The fact that you're rotating it around to the 4-5 o'clock position, really makes it awkward to quickly draw (I just tried it a few times).

When it's all said and done, I think you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised with a standard IWB carry.

The main argument against your method of carry (or SOB), is that at some point during the draw-to-fire, your muzzle will point at your body. Bad Ju-Ju. Plus, I'm sure it's not as quick as standard IWB carrying.

I'd think drawing would be difficult with the trigger finger between the gun and your back. When I draw, my trigger finger is in register on the frame of the gun. Most, if not all, carry positions place your trigger finger on the outside of the gun. Even a traditional SOB holster places the trigger finger on the outside.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back