Any LEO encounters where you show a CCW permit from another state?

Hounddog

Some states won't give a CCW permit to a non-resident, but do honor CCW permits from certain other states. Has anyone had an experience where they displayed an out-of-state CCW permit that was supposed to be honored by the state you were stopped in? Did everything go OK?

Some states won't give a CCW permit to a non-resident, but do honor CCW permits from certain other states. Has anyone had an experience where they displayed an out-of-state CCW permit that was supposed to be honored by the state you were stopped in? Did everything go OK?

Not exactly your scenario but.... I live in Idaho and have a non-resident permit from Washington. (Washington does not accept Idaho's and I spend time in both states). I went to my county Idaho Sheriff's office and asked them if Iwas good to carry in Idaho as a resident and was told yes as they accept permits from all other states.

I haven't been had to display for a deputy or trooper but according to the SO I'm ok.

I live in Louisiana and have a non-res Florida permit. I was pulled over in Texas for not having my headlights on one foggy morning, I was also going about 5 miles over the posted limit. The stop was made by a Texas trooper, I handed him my license and permit when he got to the window. He told me why he stopped me, asked where my pistol was and said he'd be back in a minute. When he came back he gave me a written warning for the lights and sent me on my way. The stop took a little more than 5 mins, he never seemed concerned about the out of state non-res permit or the weapon. I was pulled over in Slidell La by a female motorcylce deputy a couple years back for speeding with simular results only that time I took home a ticket. Both officers were very professional and never gave my pistol or permit more attention I felt than was warrented.

Situation: Council, Idaho - I had a current WA resident concealed handgun permit.

A few years ago I was asked by an Idaho Sheriff's officer if I was carrying a gun.
I replied, "No."

Then he asked if I usually carried a gun.
I replied, "Yes."

So, now he asks, "Where is your gun?"
I replied, "Locked in the trunk of my car."

He asked, "Why aren't you carrying it now?"
I replied, "Because we are standing in a Sheriff's station with the county courthouse built into the other end of the building."

THEN, he told me Idaho honors all other states' permits and if I would feel better with my gun on, I should feel free to go to the car and put it on.

I decided at that exact moment that Idaho was on the short list of places I would consider living.

Excellent encounter despite the circumstances at the time.

Apologize since it is off-topic a bit but also kind of relevant. Does Idaho record their CWP cross-referenced with the DL? Is it a "required-to-notify state"?

Maybe this kind of information is in our state regs database somewhere.?...

Update: Our database is just blank next to the spot saying Notify Law Enforcement:

Last edited:
Apologize since it is off-topic a bit but also kind of relevant. Does Idaho record their CWP cross-referenced with the DL? Is it a "required-to-notify state"?

Maybe this kind of information is in our state regs database somewhere.?...

Update: Our database is just blank next to the spot saying Notify Law Enforcement:

The CWP has the DL number on it. I don't know for sure but I don't think it is a "required to notify state". Since they are a gun friendly state, I think I would notify there.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back