Any Legal Way to Purchase XDS in California?

fensterlips

I read so many nice things about the Springfield Arms XDS.
Of course like a lot of nice things the insane asylum in Sacramento deems us not fit to own this gun until approved by the DOJ.
Since it doesn't have a microstamping firing pin, it will never be approved.

Is there a legal way to purchase and own an XDS in Cali?
I thought I heard you can purchase it legally from a private seller, just not a shop.
Is this true?

I thought in California even private sales have to be run through the state?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

off roster gun purchase

As many im California are aware, the state has a roster of "not unsafe guns." As the law is currently written and enacted, the good people of California may only purchase s new handgun that is on this list.

But don't give up and walk away defeated just yet.

The state, at the time of this writing, allows the transfer of any handgun legally owned in the state. The transfer must be done through a FFL (DROS, dealer record of sale) and will be held by the dealer for 10 days.

Can't find a used one, or you prefer to have a new one because you like that new gun smell?

Well you are not out of luck either, despite what you may read. Google is your friend, and it is time you learned of the single shot exemption (SSE). Google will help you locate the dealer that will get you your new gun. Yes, there will be additional charges, but you can buy what makes you happy, and keeps you on the "X" ring.

Now on to editorial content.....

Don't blame Sacramento. Blame the areas these politicians were voted into office from Los Angeles and San Francisco. My area of Sacramento is proudly represented by those who support our second amendment rights. And we have elected a Sheriff that will issue concealed weapons permits, good throughout the state.

Another legal method to obtain an XDS is via infra-familial, inter-state transfer. Should an immediate family member legally own an XDS in a state other than California, they can transfer and ship from their FFL to your FFL. Cost is comparable to an SSE.

So, even though the xds is not an approved firearm in California, the ffl can still transfer it?

Maybe you could just hang around the post office and buy one from a guy that is about to send his back to Springfield for the recall. You can probably get a pretty good deal on one. You might want to investigate your dream gun a little more thoroughly before you bet your life on one.

Rich kid: That's actually pretty funny!

Firefighterchen: Recall notwithstanding (a proactive move on Springfield Armory's part to preempt a potential serious safety hazard), the XDS is an awesome little .45 with a great sight picture and amazingly low recoil/muzzle flip for a bull nose .45. The XDS is not on the California roster; intra-familial/interstate transfer is legal. But since it would be coming from out of state, Federal law states the transfer must go through FFLs. You would have to find an FFL in the sending state who understands the law since the XDS case has a sticker on it that says "Not Legal in California" and a California FFL who's willing to receive it. Intra-family means grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren. It would be a PPT (private party transfer) if the family member lives in California.

Rich kid: That's actually pretty funny!

Firefighterchen: Recall notwithstanding (a proactive move on Springfield Armory's part to preempt a potential serious safety hazard), the XDS is an awesome little .45 with a great sight picture and amazingly low recoil/muzzle flip for a bull nose .45. The XDS is not on the California roster; intra-familial/interstate transfer is legal. But since it would be coming from out of state, Federal law states the transfer must go through FFLs. You would have to find an FFL in the sending state who understands the law since the XDS case has a sticker on it that says "Not Legal in California" and a California FFL who's willing to receive it. Intra-family means grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren. It would be a PPT (private party transfer) if the family member lives in California.

I own an xds .45, I was just curious as to whether the California FFL could legally transfer a firearm that's illegal in the state to an individual. If it's family they can transfer an illegal firearm in the state of California legally to the family member?

As many im California are aware, the state has a roster of "not unsafe guns." As the law is currently written and enacted, the good people of California may only purchase s new handgun that is on this list.

But don't give up and walk away defeated just yet.

The state, at the time of this writing, allows the transfer of any handgun legally owned in the state. The transfer must be done through a FFL (DROS, dealer record of sale) and will be held by the dealer for 10 days.

Can't find a used one, or you prefer to have a new one because you like that new gun smell?

Well you are not out of luck either, despite what you may read. Google is your friend, and it is time you learned of the single shot exemption (SSE). Google will help you locate the dealer that will get you your new gun. Yes, there will be additional charges, but you can buy what makes you happy, and keeps you on the "X" ring.

Now on to editorial content.....

Don't blame Sacramento. Blame the areas these politicians were voted into office from Los Angeles and San Francisco. My area of Sacramento is proudly represented by those who support our second amendment rights. And we have elected a Sheriff that will issue concealed weapons permits, good throughout the state.

That actually helps me alot. I will be moving to California soon and driving through Sacremento. How can i get in contact with this Sheriff or his department in order to get my concealed weapons permit?

That actually helps me alot. I will be moving to California soon and driving through Sacremento. How can i get in contact with this Sheriff or his department in order to get my concealed weapons permit?
I don't believe you can get a permit from a Sheriff unless you reside in that county. Once you get one in your county there's nothing they can do to stop your legal carrying throughout the state but I had one in CA for years and you can't Sheriff shop if I recall. It took two years because they slow walked it but being persistent paid off. It's an awful 2A state and what they are doing is illegal. Where's the NRA when you need them?

Sent from my XT1650 using Link Removed

I don't believe you can get a permit from a Sheriff unless you reside in that county. Once you get one in your county there's nothing they can do to stop your legal carrying throughout the state but I had one in CA for years and you can't Sheriff shop if I recall. It took two years because they slow walked it but being persistent paid off. It's an awful 2A state and what they are doing is illegal. Where's the NRA when you need them?

You are correct that you can not Sheriff shop in CA: See the county residency/employment/business requirement in the CA Penal Code 26150.

The Peruta case shows you exactly where the NRA is, busy making videos that are not about the 2nd Amendment.

As for some of the suggestions provided in this thread from 2013, the laws have changed since then, for the worse, obviously.

California Gun Dealers Say Goodbye to Single-Shot Handguns

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back