Any CB radio operators on this forum?

G50AE

Given that I have lived next to some form of a highway for most of my life, I have always had an interest in Citizen's Band radio. Anyone else on this forum into Citizen radio?

Cyr

I have always found CB radio to be very useful for obtaining real time 'road ahead' information while driving. On the road about the only place I have ever turned my CB radio off is when I was approaching a large commercial truck stop. In these areas useful travel information tends to stop, and commercial pandering and attempts to procure can become overwhelming.

In fact the closer to a truck stop you get the more sordid solicitations you can expect to hear. When I used to travel a lot, my general 'rule of the road' was to turn off the CB about 10-12 miles out, and keep it off until I had the truck stop about the same distance away in the rearview mirror.

Other than this, I've always found a good CB radio to be the best source of 'real time' road information out there. Many a time I was able to avoid a traffic jam, or a bad accident that might otherwise have turned into a disaster for me. (Once with hot tar spilled all over the interstate, and me in a brand new white luxury car)

Back in the days before GPS, other motorists used to give me road directions and alternative driving routes too. I don't drive like that anymore, but when it comes to Mobile CB radios I still continue to think that there is no better source of 'real time' road information!

"Smokey hiding in the median at 121.6, westbound!" 😃

G50AE

(Once with hot tar spilled all over the interstate, and me in a brand new white luxury car)
I have the mental image of a white Firestik antenna mounted on your shiny new Mitsubishi E"clips"e.
Back in the days before GPS, other motorists used to give me road directions and alternative driving routes too. I don't drive like that anymore, but when it comes to Mobile CB radios I still continue to think that there is no better source of 'real time' road information!

"Smokey hiding in the median at 121.6, westbound!" 😃
They still do that, road construction, traffic accident and weather information too. Although with the advent of weather band radios being included in mobile CB's back in the 1990's due to marketing by RadioShack, most drivers simply flip over to the weather channels. Many motorcyclists have stories of pulling under a bridge to don their rain gear because they heard about a rain storm up ahead on the CB radio.

Also if you live near the water you can hear the fishermen warn each other when a jug-hook, set-hook, trap or trotline has gotten a strike. CB radios are popular with the boating and fishing community.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyBryant