Anti gunner question?

In my experience questions like these are always around "why do you need X to hunt" my answer is always - the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. I'm generalizing, but this is usually incomprehensible to someone outside the US (for many in the US as well but my experience here is usually with Canadians as my family is from there). For them the only possible reason for a civilian to own a gun is to hunt and therefore they see anything that doesn't look like a traditional hunting rifle as not needed. I've never seen them be able to shift their frame of reference away from "guns only needed by civilians for hunting" and without doing so they will never "get it"

What type of retort do any of you use against an anti gunner when the subject comes up "why do you need an assault rifle, they should be for the military only"?

Can you answer that question truthfully? I hear responses and see posts all over the place wanting to know how to answer when asked this or other type questions. If you don't know the answer then you must not need it. I don't want to sound like I am mocking you or anything but you sound like you don't know. I bought a pickup one time and someone asked me why. I politely answered because I wanted it. He looked at me and said that is about the best reason I know of.

Are you ashamed of your rifle or are you trying to justify it? My wife recently told me, "You get more fun out of working on the gadgets and stuff fixing up your ATV than you do actually riding it". She was probably correct and understands it. If you find a gun that you want or decide you just have to have then the only person you have to justify it to is yourself, or in some cases your wife. If someone asks you why you have something and you can't tell them then why do you have it? Because I want it, or like it, or enjoy it or whatever is fine if you realize it. I have learned over the years (a lot more than most of you) that if you have to try to come up with reasons why you have something and work at justifying it then you shouldn't have it.

I have always wanted an Aston Martin and if ever I get the money I am going to get me one. There is no possible justification for me to get it other than I want it. If someone asks why you need an AR-15 tell them you don't need it but you wanted it and enjoy shooting it or just looking at it. There are very few people that can convince me that they have any need for one so don't even try to make up some BS about why you need it along with a 8-32x60 scope. You want it, can afford it and like it is all that is needed. Otherwise you are just digging a hole and playing right into their trap.

I'll let them state their opinion or whatever they want to say. Then I tell them...

Much too long to type, but I assure you... it's a well thought out statement about how
1. It's our right as Americans... just b/c you don't like it doesn't mean others agree with you.
2. There are no "bad" firearms... only bad people. If a criminal can't shoot you, he'll stab you, if he can't stab you he'll beat your head in with a bat, and if he can't do that he'll beat your face in with his fiist.
3. It is my choice to which weapon I choose for my own reasons... not yours.
4. I express to them that the Founders understood the only true way the people had over their gov't was arms... without arms a gov't is free to do as it pleases with a people defenseless. It's the only absolute we the people have to decide our countries fate.
5. Then I'll ask them why it's okay for people to own fast motorcycles(I do), fast cars, and other percieved dangerous vehicles? Why fast food is still legal even though it contributes to more poor health related deaths than you can count? Why it's legal to smoke tobacco and drink alcohol, both of which are very dangerous to you and others health?

Then I'll state that these things are not dangerous until a human uses them incorrectly(except smoking and booze which are bad almost always). Objects like firearms, motorcycles, cars, and any other object isn't dangerous... people make them so.

So then, shouldn't we actually ban PEOPLE??? As we are the most dangerous beings on this planet to our existance.

Then I'll say that I own more firearms than you have teeth in your mouth, including what you call assualt rifles... and I have never murdered anyone, nor have the desire.

My last statement will be one along the lines of this: Either way, the only way you or anyone else is going to take away my guns is by prying them from my cold dead hands.

What type of retort do any of you use against an anti gunner when the subject comes up "why do you need an assault rifle, they should be for the military only"?

Because it's perfectly legal for me to own one and I enjoy it.

Tell them it is not an assault rifle, but rather an anti-assault rifle, and that is why you own it.

First I send them to Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

Second, I tell them to ask me the question again after they've read the document so we can have an intelligent talk on the subject.

I usually never hear from them again, but if I do, I ask if they read the doc, particularly the assault weapon myths section.

If they did not, I'll say something like if they can't cope with a few pages of documents to learn something then I can't cope with their stupid questions.

That usually ends it one way or another. They either learn something or stop bothering me. Arguing is a waste of time.

This question was asked of me just two weeks ago.
1. I wanted one.
2. I like to shoot and compete. (This led to another discussion.) 3 Gun is a blast! The person had no idea anything like this existed. Nor did they know about Cowboy Shooting, IDPA, or IPSC. Now they do. I asked if they wanted me to take them the next time out. They still haven't decided. I will ask until they tell me to stop.

I usually show them a photo of an M1-Garand. It is pretty, has a nice wooden stock and to someone who has little to no experience with firearms resembles a hunting rifle.

Once I explain that that is the Gun we won WWII with and that it is significantly more powerful than an AR-15 it tends to open their eyes a bit.

But for the most part I have given up arguing with anti-gun folk. Their arguements are based entirely on emotion. If a gun looks scary then it IS scary. Attempting to explain that an AR-15 is no more powerful than any other gun chambered in .223 Remington is a losing gambit because they are not playing the same game we are.

Attempting to explain to someone for whom the government is a comforting pancea that the REAL purpose of the Second Amendment is to secure the other rights of the people through force against a tyranical government, or that the Battle of Lexington and Concord occured as a result of attempts by the British to confiscate the arms and poweder of the colonists and is an example of the same is useless.

Try showing these two pictures to an anti-gunner
577T-RexRifle.jpg

112109at_m4carbine_800.JPG

Then ask which one should be banned.

The top rifle is chambered in .577 Tyranosaur one of the most powerful shoulder fired rounds in the world.

The bottom is of course the ubiquitous M-4 carbine available in a semi automatic civilian version.

I can about guarantee that the anti gunner will pick the bottom rifle.
Then show them these
300px-577_Tyrannosaur_and_308_Winchester_Compared.jpg

300px-30-30.jpg

The largest round in the second picture is the same as the SMALLEST round in the first picture!
The smallest round in the second picture is of course a .223 Remington (5.56 NATO) the round shot by the M-4 pictured above. (I know the .223 and 5.56 are not exactly the same)

Good call, Doc. Very true. My 338 Winchester will cause a LOT more damage that a .223, and it is NOT an assault rifle. A kid recently accidentally killed a friend with a .177 calibre air rifle. It wasn't an assault rifle!

Exactly the point.

When someone makes this asinine statement, I simply remind them that the musket or the Kentucky Long Rifle was, in it's day, the military weapon of the time, in short the assault rifle of it's day. The American public has not been educated to the fact that the final trigger event (no pun intended) for the 'Shot Heard Round the World' was the march by 800 soldiers on Concord to seize a cache of arms and powder the day before the shot was fired. The arms had been moved by the colonists. The purpose of the Second Amendment was to prevent another tyrannical government from abrogating any of the Bill of Rights amendments. And that takes more than people with so-called sporting guns. A member of Congress showed his colleagues two guns, one was walnut and blued steel and the other was a 'black' gun with collapsable stock etc. They were both Ruger 10-22's.

Thank you to all those that responded in an educated manner I also use alot of the same material to help educate my friends, family, and coworkers. Not that I need any reason what so ever to protect my family, it is nice to know there are others out there that are on the same page with me. My responses are usually tailored to the person ranging from "because I can", to an in depth conversation regarding our history including 2A. I tend to use analogies alot which helps people understand where I am coming from. I was under the impression this was a "forum" where you could discuss and bounce ideas and problems off of like minded individuals, I guess there are always a few in the mix that are not "like minded". Thanks again to all that posted and understood where I was coming from. Looking forward to more posts.

I always "like" being told the likelihood of needing my gun is low, so why carry. I usually respond with "can't exactly plan on when I'm gonna need it and if I could I'd just avoid the location where I needed it". I also respond to this kind of comment with - "Why do you vote? The odds of having your vote affect the outcome of an election are so low why do you bother? Is it because you're exercising you're constitutional right and if you don't exercise it you risk losing it? - Yup there you go"

The difference between an anti-gunner and pro-gunner is "ONE GOOD RAPE."

I gave up trying to convince these types long ago. Bad experiences are the best teachers.

I always "like" being told the likelihood of needing my gun is low, so why carry. I usually respond with "can't exactly plan on when I'm gonna need it and if I could I'd just avoid the location where I needed it". I also respond to this kind of comment with - "Why do you vote? The odds of having your vote affect the outcome of an election are so low why do you bother? Is it because you're exercising you're constitutional right and if you don't exercise it you risk losing it? - Yup there you go"
Explain that the likelyhood of dying today is extremely low. Yet they carry life insurance. Leave nothing to chance, right?

Explain that the likelyhood of dying today is extremely low. Yet they carry life insurance. Leave nothing to chance, right?

Yup same reason that the likelyhood of being in a car crash today is low but you still wear your seatbelt, or your house catching on fire but you still have homeowners insurance etc, etc.

Why go down to their level and argue? If they ask that question and don't know the answer themselves, I am not going to be the id10t that is going to explain it to them...I got better things to do...sorry.

How about the easy one - because I want to...... That should be enough. Funny nobody questions a golf club or a bowling ball and those can be used as weapons too.

Why does anybody need anything? You don't need an assault rilfe any more than you need a sports car. They are legal, they can be dangerous when used by idiots and they cost money.

Until he starts feeding me and paying my rent, he gets NO say in what I "need".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back