Anti gun editorial in my hometown paper today

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
Unfortunately, the city in which I live is liberal and anti gun (ranked the 2nd most liberal city in America behind Detroit), so I can't say that I'm surprised to see this.

Link Removed

The strange trend of people rushing to buy guns before Barack Obama becomes president must have a reason, and it does.

It certainly isn't Obama, though.

The incoming president has little to say about guns, except that he supports "commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners."

Obama also supports closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. He also supports making permanent the federal Assault Weapons Ban that expired in 2004.

None of that sounds radical.

Just as there are restrictions on free speech -- you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, you can't libel, you can't slander -- so too there have been agreed-to regulations with firearms.

Then who gains by suggesting that Obama is going to take your guns away? Or ban the purchase of all new guns?

The answer is two groups: the National Rifle Association and right-wing radio bloviators.

The reason is simple. Money.

The NRA gains contributions by fomenting fear and spreading lies. The NRA has sent out literature saying Obama wanted to ban guns used to defend homes -- an outright falsehood. That's an easy way to increase contributions, so they're willing to do it.

The right-wing radio hosts solidify their base by lying about the black president-elect who's going to take the white man's guns away, thereby maintaining their advertising.

It's certainly fine to purchase a gun, as the law allows.

But to do it because liars tell you to ought to make you feel used.

Unfortunately, this "bloviator" has no use for facts. Typical for an anti-gun rant. Had he even glanced at any of Obama's previous stances on guns, he would have shriveled up and blown away. That's why it is important to reply to people like this with real facts. Every time I see something like this in the local papers, I'm at the keyboard, typing to the editor. Sometimes, it makes it into print, sometimes it doesn't.

Anti-gun editorial

I happened to catch the Kenyan in a sound bite on CNN one day. He was saying he respected the Second Amendment rights of Americans, and would take no steps to restrict the hunting rights of anyone. This is one of the insidious ways the anti-gunners work. Note he said 'hunting.' People think the Second Amendment is about hunting, not self-defense, not protection from a despotic government. The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting, or even shooting paper targets or empty pop cans. It is about the God-given right of a person to provide for the protection of himself, his family and his home, then, by extension, his neighbor , his town, and his country. We do not need a pretender to the Presidency to tell us he will protect our Second Amendment rights while scheming with the Brady Buch to disarm us. Can the Kenyan, Arrest Obama!

fact

I wanted to respond to the OP but too much hassle with getting registered and all. But read over the posts and looks like some people there have their head on right. I like the AW ban part especially. What about an AR or AK or 50 cal because I like shooting guns - just like others have many different golf clubs, sound equipment only a dog can hear and cars with a top speed just short of the sound barrier in a 55 MPH world. As long as I use it in a safe place, follow good sense (all of which the NRA teaches) and follow the law who cares how many and what type. As for the big cities, I can't think of any place I would more want a gun than in Chicago - at least five more shootings this weekend. Maybe we should stop rationalizing and tell the whole story. Yes I believe in the 2nd ammendment, yes I like having protection for my family and myself and yes, there is danger out there but YES I like to shoot, see holes magically appear in paper from remote distances, grow my skills and ahhh yes hear loud noises (and yes I have been in combat) and explosions - in the right context.

The fact that the author of the editorial had to inject race is most unfortunate. The black community has been lied to for years and denied their basic right to self defense by their own black leaders and the liberals who want to continue to hold them down. Law abiding citizens deserve the right to defend themselves......No matter what color their skin! We need to inundate the author of this editorial and let 'em know how we are offended by his racist remarks!

Surfcc

Obama also supports closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. He also supports making permanent the federal Assault Weapons Ban that expired in 2004.

None of that sounds radical.
Not radical? Really? :rolleyes:

Most semiautos are easily "childproofed" simply by not having one in the pipe. Even better, don't let them get to it in the first place.

I propose we childproof bricks, knives, small objects that can be swallowed, hair gel, etc.

Not radical? Really? :rolleyes:

Most semiautos are easily "childproofed" simply by not having one in the pipe. Even better, don't let them get to it in the first place.

I propose we childproof bricks, knives, small objects that can be swallowed, hair gel, etc.

Why don't we blame the wood in buildings while we are at it for arson. Or Hammers for stepping on a nail after the user dropped it. Only an idiot would blame a tool for it's users actions. We already have childproofing, it's common sense, education, and if that fails, Pistol Locks

Because I've been so busy the past couple of days, it's taken me longer than it normally would to respond to this editorial. I hope to be finished with it today.

Race

The fact that the author of the editorial had to inject race is most unfortunate. The black community has been lied to for years and denied their basic right to self defense by their own black leaders and the liberals who want to continue to hold them down. Law abiding citizens deserve the right to defend themselves......No matter what color their skin! We need to inundate the author of this editorial and let 'em know how we are offended by his racist remarks!

Surfcc

As on who on occasion teaches communication workshops that is known as the lack of substance ploy - I don't have a valid argument so I bring in a side issue that will take attention off of me and put it on the bad traits (not bad argument) of the other. With that said how about not the "black man grabbing the white man's guns" but the "liberal man" or the government can do it all man, or even the we want to take away your rights man. I have no problem with his color, he could be plaid for all I can, but he stands for many of the things I don't, has solutions I don't think will work and proposes strategies that will put out country more at risk from terrorists. All of that has nothing to do with race. This was one of my biggest fears when he threw his hat into the ring, the level playing field goes away. Gotta admit though, he should get the man of the year award for the gun dealers of america, he sure has helped guns sales, class enrollement and gun ownership in general. The ammo industry isn't doing too bad either.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back