Anti-gun advocates will love this one.

bbarton713

This mall has a 'no concealed weapons' sign but it isn't legal. I wonder if they'll 'fix' that in light of this accident.

On the flip side, maybe criminals will think twice about doing bad deeds knowing that there are armed citizens walking around.

====================
Myrtle Beach
Gunshot let loose in the mall
A man walking through a Myrtle Beach mall accidentally discharged his gun Saturday evening, said Cpl. Bill New with the Myrtle Beach Police Department.
In the midst of adjusting his belt, the man accidentally fired the handgun while walking through Coastal Grand mall, New said. The man was authorized to carry the weapon.
The gunshot, which occurred around 5 p.m., struck the floor in the corridor that goes from the center of the mall to Dillard's.
No one was injured, New said.

How does a gun go off if you're adjusting your belt?

They don't fire unless the trigger is pulled. He either didn't have a holster and the trigger snagged, or he was messing with his gun.

Another question: If you snag the hammer on a gun and you let it slip on the way "up" and it falls, will it go off? I see that as being a possibility here, as well.

Turns out it was an off-duty police officer that was carrying without a holster. Not only did it go off but it fell to the floor too!

Link Removed

And the police are the only ones who should have guns????? Gimme a freakin' break!

To me, this is just one more reason to ALLOW the legal carry of firearms. I know many who do carry, but not one who carries without a holster. Sounds like a common sense thing, but then so does allowing concealed carry by the general public.

Sounds like someone needs a some serious "re-training". No excuse "reaching for my gun by mistake". Not to mention the "keep your finger off of the trigger......" rule. :eek: This guy needs to hang up the badge, retire, and not be carrying a firearm.

gf

I instantly thought of that video I saw with the woman cop that nearly shot a BG or her partner when her partner had the BG subdued.

Not sure why.

interestingly enough, this is not the first time I have heard this happen to a cop. when I was in my michigan CCW class the instructor told us of an officer who was carrying his glock without a holster and went to adjust his shirt which was tucked in and it snagged the trigger and went off shooting himself in the foot. so is this a trend or something that off duty officers don't use holsters??. I mean come on. get a freakin holster!

Turns out it was an off-duty police officer that was carrying without a holster. Not only did it go off but it fell to the floor too!

Link Removed

Ive been ccw for about 20 years and I have never understood the logic of not using a holster. Is it a tuff guy thing? Watch "Lethal Weapon" or "Die Hard" too many times? :confused: The gun is unsecure and the trigger guard is not covered. Not a good combo if you ask me. What if the n.d. happened while the gun was in his waistband???:blink:

A decent holster aint that expensive. IMO:to_pick_ones_nose:

interestingly enough, this is not the first time I have heard this happen to a cop. when I was in my michigan CCW class the instructor told us of an officer who was carrying his glock without a holster and went to adjust his shirt which was tucked in and it snagged the trigger and went off shooting himself in the foot. so is this a trend or something that off duty officers don't use holsters??. I mean come on. get a freakin holster!

I know of a few LEO who carry a Glock pistol off duty without a holster. The one thing they all do when carrying in such a fashion is to ensure that there is a "trigger block" installed behind the trigger. It's not clear why they carry without a holster, just know that they do so safely.

I don't recommend that ANYONE carry any firearm without using a holster that encloses the trigger. Protecting the trigger is critical to prevent NDs' from happening.

gf

I checked out the hole in the floor and it isn't much of anything to see. It actually hit in a carpeted area which helped with ricochet or any fragments causing harm. That off-duty was one lucky guy and he should probably retire at 65 and consider that a sad way to end his career.

I can't imagine any agency allowing it's officers to carry w/o a holster. A thug in some alley in Chicago, yes, but a cop? They ought to be more professional than that. And especially not with a glock that basically has NO safety.

As with any gun, as well as the Glock, keep that freakin' finger off the trigger is the safest way to handle a gun no matter how stupid one is...

hmmm...what would I do without my Glock...:to_pick_ones_nose:

Sounds like that passive Glock trigger "safety" isn't so safe.

Barney Fife was done a disservice. I don't think he ever had his weapon accidentally discharge!!!! Of course he kept his ammo in his shirt pocket not his gun:sarcastic:

A question? >>> Sort of topic as discussed here.
Not debating the reason why, but if a 1911 was carried with one in the chamber and the hammer down you went to cock the hammer (like a revolver) and as doing so the hammer slipped from your thumb would that cause the gun to fire.
Thanks and excuse my ignorance and laziness.:pleasantry:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back