Another shipping question

hogwylde

I live in Massachusetts and have a friend outside of the state who wants to mail me a box of ammo. I know I cannot purchase ammo online but can it be sent as a gift? Can he legally send me the ammo? Could either of us potentially face legal matters?

Why can't you purchase it online?

Link Removed
Mail Order Ammunition Sales Issues

Have you tried to buy ammunition through the mail from an out of state vendor recently?

GOAL members who attempted this have been repeatedly told that “It’s against the law to ship to Massachusetts” and “the law changed recently." This is not entirely true.

Several companies specializing in internet and catalog sales have made a business decision not to sell to duly licensed Massachusetts residents because they find it nearly impossible to understand our convoluted state laws. Other companies have and will continue to sell to duly licensed Massachusetts residents.

12/4/12. At this time there is no law or regulation forbidding a duly licensed MA resident from receiving ammunition from an out of state entity.

As an alternative, see if there is an FFL near you who will receive the ammo and transfer it to you, if you are concerned. It appears as if the MA Attorney General has been threatening companies selling ammunition to MA residents - but the statutes seem to only apply to purchasing and selling. If you have the proper license to possess firearms/ammunition, I, as a private party, wouldn't hesitate to ship a box or two. It does have to go UPS and be labeled as ORM-D (or whatever the new equivalent to ORM-D is).

Why can't you purchase it online?

Link Removed

It is my understanding (which means nothing) that it is not illegal for an out of state merchant to sell/ship ammo to MA. It is the MA resident who is breaking the law by accepting it since it was not sold in MA.

It is my understanding (which means nothing) that it is not illegal for an out of state merchant to sell/ship ammo to MA. It is the MA resident who is breaking the law by accepting it since it was not sold in MA.

I would ask at the GOAL website linked above.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back