Another Positive LEO Run In

KCD1974

I forgot to post this until now. I was in a minor fender bender last Saturday, not my fault. I drive a company car so I had to call the police. As I was sitting there waiting, I decided it would be a good idea to unarm myself since I would most likely be out of the car and walking around. I was pocket carrying a LCP that day so it's not a complicated disarming process.

I simply put it in the open center console and cover it with napkins.

When the officer arrived myself and the other driver gave him our information and I waited for the other driver to head towards his vehicle then I showed the officer my permit and informed him that "it", as the other driver was still in ear shot, was in the car.

His response was most unexpected...basic he said...Okay, that's fine...I mean to a level where I wasn't even sure if he was paying attention to what I just said. But he had to know what I was referring to as it's a very clear permit. I just don't think he was the least bit concerned.

This is the attitude that I think all LEO's should have. If you are a permitted holder of a firearm why the need to put your hands on the wheel don't make any sudden movements, almost like "we" are criminals. If someone is armed and going to harm you they are going to do so right when you arrive at the window.

Plus if you've informed the officer you have a weapon, odds are you don't plan to use it (at least that's my assumption).

Don't take this post the wrong way, I'm not bashing LEO's in the least. My dade is a retired LEO and I had several extended family members that were officers. But from some of the stories I read here you'd think that permit holders go around shooting at the police with the way some are treated.

I had a fantastic experience which may lead to me telling the next office that I have a weapon in the car. Although those odds drop if I have my young children with me as I don't really want them to know.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Good to hear.

Last month I left an evening meeting at my hunt and fish club. I was pulled over on a quiet country road by a Plattekill town LEO. He asked "do you have any weapons, drugs or nuclear weapons in the car?" I replied I had a licensed handgun IWB. I handed him the CCW permit. He looked at it and flipped it onto my lap without a word. He smiles and says "I just wanted to make sure you knew your brakelight was out before someone hits you." Never asked for drivers license, reg or insurance. Didn't care to check the gun either. Nice to see such trusting behavior. I've since offered our range to the PD free of charge so they can run regular live-fire scenarios with their cars and weapons. They were the nicest group of guys/gals. Felt good to give something back to them.

I'm glad to hear it went well.

I simply put it in the open center console and cover it with napkins.

However, this would result in a felony storage violation charge for me. I would have to unload it and lock it in a locked container or case. The trunk of the car does qualify.

I'm glad to hear it went well.

However, this would result in a felony storage violation charge for me. I would have to unload it and lock it in a locked container or case. The trunk of the car does qualify.
That applies only to those living in a police state.

Wait a second... You informed a LEO and he didnt beat you up and steal your gun?????!!!!!

On a serious note, good to hear you had a pleasant encounter with another LEO that defies the common misperception that LEOs are out to do you harm.

Wait a second... You informed a LEO and he didnt beat you up and steal your gun?????!!!!!

On a serious note, good to hear you had a pleasant encounter with another LEO that defies the common misperception that LEOs are out to do you harm.

I wouldn't assume they would beat me up LOL...as stated I grew up with a father that was an officer and knew the entire police force....so I'm not nervous around cops.

Not all LEOs are overbearing and haughty...our policemen and women over here where we live aren't. We are not friends but we and they are all friendly.

Glad to hear another good LEO encounter.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING...

The title to this thread should be "The Usual Positive Treatment by LEOs". You usually read on this forum about all the trouble and problems and confrontations that many members seem to always be involved in-----then, when it comes down to talking about LEOs, there are always "problems". It does not take long to visualize a landscape where out of control CCers and out of control LEOs are all that populate this country. I do not know not care where all these members live, but I know that in all my 70 years, I have never had an altercation with anyone including LEOs.

I'm happy you had a good interaction with the officer. My problem with this scenario is that an honest, lawabiding citizen felt compelled to disarm prior to a face to face encounter with police. As long as your actions are legal, why should anyone feel the need to do such a thing? This similar to the idea you should tell the officer you have a permit and firearm even if it's not required.
I simply can't see the need to justify something that is totally legal and should not even be considered questionable.

Hey Mobuck: I agree with your assessment that you at least do what your responsibilities are under the law. The problem I tend to see in many posts and replies is an inherent "attitude" ,for want of a better term, which comes thru loud and clear to me just in the written word and sure as heck must come thru loud and clear to an LEO trying to do his job and be safe at the same time. You are CC and you are in a unique position as compared to the average citizen---IMHO it behooves you to act with courtesy and listen to and respond similarly to all LEO questions. There is probably a better chance that you will be treated with dignity and courtesy to a greater extent than Ivory Soap is pure at 99 and 44 percent pure.

I'm happy you had a good interaction with the officer. My problem with this scenario is that an honest, lawabiding citizen felt compelled to disarm prior to a face to face encounter with police. As long as your actions are legal, why should anyone feel the need to do such a thing? This similar to the idea you should tell the officer you have a permit and firearm even if it's not required.
I simply can't see the need to justify something that is totally legal and should not even be considered questionable.

To be perfectly and totally honest...It was more of a test to see how it went when I didn't have my kids with me. I don't know if I will always tell the officer that I am carrying but I figured since I was out of the car and walking around I really didn't want it to be a big deal. I didn't think he would cuff me, beat me up or take my firearm if I had it on me....I just felt compelled for his safety and mine to disarm. There is no harm, no foul here...I didn't think I had to..I simply wanted to.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back